Would you leave virgin media if they dont get bt sports or

Comments

• ArrGeeArrGee Posts: 1,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sirius wrote: »
    A small minority of VM take Sky Sports and literally a tiny minority took Setanta.

Maybe at any one time that is true, but there are a number of people, self included, who will take these channels for a short period. I normally get sky sports/movies over Christmas and had Setanta during the summer for the GAA. Aside from the superior broadband in my area I have Virgin because if I do want the premium channels I can get them.

It is very frustrating with Virgin, because despite the better broadband and TV in terms of speed and technology they are always held over a barrel by first Sky and now BT when it comes to content.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sodavlac wrote: »
    Not really feeling the whole subscription sports channel thing is worth the money at the moment.

I have just done it for the odd month or two per year for a few years now, when I have the time, or there is something I want to watch. I can generally watch complete games within 24/48 hours on my club's catchup, and Match of the Day does for the most part. All the England internationals are on terrestrial TV, so really less need these days than in the times when the only way to watch a game on a Sunday afternoon was by having a dish on your wall.
  • Callum CollumCallum Collum Posts: 4,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's something I would have to think about, depending on what happens between BT and Virgin. The main thing for me is that some of my own club's football matches will be on BT. But I like to have the other matches available as well and have watched a good number of them under previous arrangements. My own club's matches in particular are a significant part of what I want from TV.
  • tinshedtinshed Posts: 483
    Forum Member
    Yes as soon as my tie in period next Feb arrives I'm off. I asked and asked when BT took over ESPN etc and was assured by the rep that my viewing of these channels would not be affected at all. Well it is come the 31st. Besides my main grumble is the loss of ESPN America which now means me subscribing to MLB.TV NHL and the NBA so Virgin can stick it. I'd rather go to sky and give them y money as t least I'll get some NBA and the NFL. Not bothered regards the Footy as I can watch MOTD.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53
    Forum Member
    tinshed wrote: »
    Yes as soon as my tie in period next Feb arrives I'm off. I asked and asked when BT took over ESPN etc and was assured by the rep that my viewing of these channels would not be affected at all. Well it is come the 31st. Besides my main grumble is the loss of ESPN America which now means me subscribing to MLB.TV NHL and the NBA so Virgin can stick it. I'd rather go to sky and give them y money as t least I'll get some NBA and the NFL. Not bothered regards the Footy as I can watch MOTD.

Buying yourself out of your contract with VM is about £10 a month or something. You don't have to stay with them and pay the full amount until your contract runs out. I think you still need to give 30 days notice.
  • countyboycountyboy Posts: 1,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I spoke to Virgin customer services today. I want BT Sports as I watch the Aviva premiership rugby. Sympathetic ear but nothing to say. Suggested I call them back later in the week, adding "BT have us over a barrel on this". I suggested maybe VIrgin should offer more money...

So looking like a change to Freesat from Sky and £12 a month for BT Sports for me.
  • gary77gary77 Posts: 977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I cancelled VM broadband to join BT Infinity and i'm £15 better off for doing so.
  • countyboycountyboy Posts: 1,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gary77 wrote: »
    I cancelled VM broadband to join BT Infinity and i'm £15 better off for doing so.

I'm just 3 miles out in a suburb of a city of 125,000, and amazingly no BT Infinity....whereas I'm getting on average 32 mb from Virgin broadband.
  • sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    countyboy wrote: »
    I spoke to Virgin customer services today. I want BT Sports as I watch the Aviva premiership rugby. Sympathetic ear but nothing to say. Suggested I call them back later in the week, adding "BT have us over a barrel on this". I suggested maybe VIrgin should offer more money...

So looking like a change to Freesat from Sky and £12 a month for BT Sports for me.

If they did this every time a new channel came out, just rolled over and paid whatever they were told, your subs would be much higher.

Like anything, you negotiate, after all, still another 3 weeks till the first Premiership match.
  • Auld ReekieAuld Reekie Posts: 195
    Forum Member
    ArrGee wrote: »
    Maybe at any one time that is true, but there are a number of people, self included, who will take these channels for a short period. I normally get sky sports/movies over Christmas and had Setanta during the summer for the GAA. Aside from the superior broadband in my area I have Virgin because if I do want the premium channels I can get them.

It is very frustrating with Virgin, because despite the better broadband and TV in terms of speed and technology they are always held over a barrel by first Sky and now BT when it comes to content.
    I couldn't agree more.
    It gets very frustrating with VM when it comes to having to deal with the Murdoch Mafia and now BT.
  • bottleofbestbottleofbest Posts: 8,026
    Forum Member
    ArrGee wrote: »

Even more so since they sold their channels to Sky. They lost all bargaining power when it comes to negotiating new deals. I honestly believe if they hadn't sold Living, we would have Sky Atlantic now!:(
  • Lisa.JLisa.J Posts: 1,919
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll be leaving VM if they dont get BT Sports. I've been on the fence whether to switch or not for a while now and them not getting BT Sports would be the final push to leave.
  • St@mmieSt@mmie Posts: 814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    countyboy wrote: »
    I'm just 3 miles out in a suburb of a city of 125,000, and amazingly no BT Infinity....whereas I'm getting on average 32 mb from Virgin broadband.

I live in a London Borough with a population of 200, 000 and I can't get Infinity either.
    I wont be switching and until BT want to take my money either indirectly through VM or directly by offering a comparible tv and broadband service I will just have to get their channels through the pirates (I'd rather have the chance to pay for a legitimate service though)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    St@mmie wrote: »
    I live in a London Borough with a population of 200,000 and I can't get Infinity either.
    I wont be switching and until BT want to take my money either indirectly through VM or directly by offering a comparible tv and broadband service I will just have to get their channels through the pirates (I'd rather have the chance to pay for a legitimate service though)

Same here. London borough within North Circular Road, but apart from Virgin no fast broadband. Will live without BT sport like I do with Sky Atlantic and the red button/SSX before it.
  • TestingTimesTestingTimes Posts: 308
    Forum Member
    Looks like BT continue to play hard ball!

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/5965-bt-confirms-no-agreement-on-bt-sport-on-virgin-media.html#news_comments

"Following the large number of enquiries from Virgin Media customers and press speculation, we can confirm that we have not agreed a wholesale deal for BT Sport with Virgin Media. But we are open to doing it at the right price and talks continue. In the meantime, we have an excellent offer for Virgin customers who move to either BT TV or to satellite."
    BT statement on possibility of wholesale access to BT Sport by Virgin Media
  • snuffle_-_uksnuffle_-_uk Posts: 599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As a VM customer i'm interested in what happens regarding BT Sports, but either way i've got no intention of subscribing. If i really want to watch a match i'm happy to find a pub (even if i have to convince the pub that a Conference match is worth turning the channel over for!)
  • orangeballoonorangeballoon Posts: 10,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bt sports isnt worth anything to me. their choice of matches are likely to be the ones i would have gone to the pub and seen with my friends rather than sit at home.
    so sky sports is enough, espn was nice to have. but extra for bt? no
  • Toby53Toby53 Posts: 845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If they did this every time a new channel came out, just rolled over and paid whatever they were told, your subs would be much higher.

Like anything, you negotiate, after all, still another 3 weeks till the first Premiership match.

We have 60m from VM, as no infinity in area best BT offer is about 6m.
    No contest
  • sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Toby53 wrote: »
    We have 60m from VM, as no infinity in area best BT offer is about 6m.
    No contest

What has that got to do with the comment i made, which was about someone saying VM should just pay more money for BT Sports :confused:
  • snowman40snowman40 Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    No, I won't leave because of this, but I'm a little disappointed as I liked watching the Indy Cars on ESPN.

I couldn't care less about football to be honest.

M.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just to say, if you have previously had sky and changed to VM you can add BT sports / ESPN as long as you still have your Sky box / card.

All BT need is the viewing card number and they'll activate (for £12 anyway!) , no need to switch providers.
  • GARETH197901GARETH197901 Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nope,i wont switch just because Virgin has lost the ESPN Channels,and i certainly wouldnt go to BT,ive been down that road once before,and im in no hurry to go back
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 115
    Forum Member
    If they don't get BT Sport then I won't automatically want to go to another provider. What will make me consider switching is no BT Sport and nothing decent to replace it.
  • nobabydaddynobabydaddy Posts: 2,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was seriously about to downgrade my VIP package down to minimum TV/BB/Phone to goto Sky TV this afternoon.

I rang retentions and 'Craig' offered me £20 off my VIP package for a year. So I took that instead of going to Sky. Very pleased with the deal, so if BT Sports does come to VM in the next few months I will have saved some cash to get it!

Thanks VM! :D