Do you enjoy your job?

Lil_MLil_M Posts: 2,105
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I really hate my job. Today I just sat there and thought I couldn't do this anymore and don't want to this anymore.
I use to work from 7 in the morning till half 8-9pm 7 days a week. I didn't get paid for overtime. Because there was so much to do, in order to make sure you are swimming the Atlantic Ocean, you had to work looooong hours and unpaid overtime.
It just keeps on coming. There is no break.

So a this weeks, I just though **** it, I am doing my 9-5 and that's it. Everything else can tkae it. Now,I feel I am drowning. This is not a way to live.

As much as I despise my job, there is nothing else out there and have to stick with it.

Anyone else in the same boat?

Comments

• nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I go through stages of hating my job, mainly if I'm standing about in the rain.

But then I do love it at times when I get to go to gigs, festivals etc.
  • PencilBreathPencilBreath Posts: 3,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i do usually, i do price integrity in tesco so put out shelf edge labels, point of sale etc. good bunch of people i work with, it's not a big shop like 150 staff. been there almost 10 years.
  • Cissy FairfaxCissy Fairfax Posts: 11,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't mind my job. Unfortunately I spend about an hour or so a day doing "my job" and the other 8 hours of it, sorting out other people's sh1te, responding to futile and pointless phone calls, email from some right arsefaces as well as unnecceassry amounts of bureaucracy and form filling.

Oh and not forgetting the long stints of watching egg timers and blue circles going round waiting for the PC to decide if it fancies working for a bit or not.

Its nothing like what I wanted to do when I was 17 and if you told me then what I'd be doing now, I would have probably stayed in bed for 20 years. Demoralising now to think that's probably it for life, nor helped by at least 3 people a day saying "I don't know how you do what you do"

But, it pays reasonably ok, colleagues are ok, decent location, nice run or ride home and the small bit of my actual job is satisfying enough.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoy my current job (but I am self employed!). It's terrible pay though.
  • nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoy my current job. It's terrible pay though.

Yeah that's the main downside to mine, it's minimum wage.
  • NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes. Love it.
  • bazzaroobazzaroo Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    Yep, absolutely LOVE what i do, i'm another who's self employed though and to all of those saying how much they hate what they do i'd say this...FFS do something about it, find something you're good at and enjoy doing then find a way to get paid for it, either that or stop bloody whinging!
  • scruffpotscruffpot Posts: 4,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    care work NO... employment support with clients who have mental health.. YES
  • PrimalIcePrimalIce Posts: 2,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hates my last job, then it grew on me, then i started to like it - thats when I got let go.

I havent started my new job yet. Hopefully Ill like it, it sounds straight forward
  • Lil_MLil_M Posts: 2,105
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bazzaroo wrote: »
    Yep, absolutely LOVE what i do, i'm another who's self employed though and to all of those saying how much they hate what they do i'd say this...FFS do something about it, find something you're good at and enjoy doing then find a way to get paid for it, either that or stop bloody whinging!

I actually enjoy what I do sometimes but it is the sheer amount of work, the feeling of unappreciation, the fact that I do other people's work on top of mine, the atmosphere and environment.

I feel like if I took control or I did what I did and was self -employed, I could justify my long hours and my pay. I could earn a lot more than I am etc.. It comes a to a point,where I am so tired and so fustrated.
  • BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    There are some days when I wake up and look forward to work. Others where I feel irritable, ill and tired which was the case months ago.
  • clarriboclarribo Posts: 6,258
    Forum Member
    I really like my job at the moment, the last 2 I had were pretty awful mainly due to having so little to do, my new one is busy yet relaxed and everyone is really nice.
  • RedRose9191RedRose9191 Posts: 748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hate the actual job.

The people I work with though (not including my boss) are nice and I enjoy working with them.
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love my job, work colleagues are the best I have worked with. Downside only, is the pay isn't great, but better to be happy then sad.

The manager he even brought me 6 bottles of beer this morning as a thank you, for doing extra hours. I was actually pleased to just get the extra hours & more pay. So the beer was a bonus.
  • StaceySkyStaceySky Posts: 570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like my job. However it does get boring a lot of time due to the fact that we don't get busy. The people I work with are very nice.
    My last job however was always busy so time went fast, but the staff where horrible.
  • LibitinaLibitina Posts: 2,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Usually, yes. As a nurse I certainly don't do it for the money.
  • EStaffs90EStaffs90 Posts: 13,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm loving my current job. (At least my colleagues aren't nicking my stationery - including the incredibly girly pencil case - that I brought with my own money. I never did find out who took them.)
  • bornfreebornfree Posts: 16,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love my job. I do what I've always wanted to do.
  • HollyCHollyC Posts: 5,850
    Forum Member
    I think I come down on the 'I hate my job' side. It's not the actual job as such, more the people I work with.

I loved my last job, even though I was also working loads of extra (unpaid) hours. It was challenging and I really liked the people I worked with.

Unfortunately, the money was crap and I was struggling. 'Luckily' I managed to find another job, nearer home with more money, but I hate it. I am looking, but have not found anything yet.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm disillusioned with the way my job has gone in the last couple of years. Ever since the company I work for outsourced its IT department, the work environment has gone downhill :(

Now i'm just bideing my time until I'm financially secure enough to be able to tell them to stick their job.
  • Lil_MLil_M Posts: 2,105
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm disillusioned with the way my job has gone in the last couple of years. Ever since the company I work for outsourced its IT department, the work environment has gone downhill :(

Now i'm just bideing my time until I'm financially secure enough to be able to tell them to stick their job.

THis. Disillusioned. I feel fustrated because the clients (their big major companies) have bases in India and I am talking to a brick wall.

It is people I work with. I am not happy. I don't feel happy. I don't feel settled and I need to settle and feel secure.I am not there. I lost my happiness.
  • jarryhackjarryhack Posts: 5,076
    Forum Member
    I really like my job. I'm a housekeeper in a NHS Mental Health Trust. I get a good rate of pay for what I do, I work 6 til 1, I have no hassle, I'm pretty much left to my own devices (as long as the work gets done, we are monitored a lot but they do it when you aren't there) ..I don't work over my hours, I go home and forget about work. What's not to like?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes. :) I haven't been lately because we're understaffed and, for various reasons, the recruitment process is taking months. I've had the work of 3-4 people and I started dreading having to go into work each day.

However I've ploughed through loads of my to-do list today and I'm feeling much calmer and more in control. Today was the first day in weeks that I've enjoyed it.

Usually I love my job. I love my time off and my weekends too, but I rarely go to bed thinking "ugh, have to wake up and go to work tomorrow" like I did in other jobs.
  • CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, I've been very lucky to have been doing a job I always wanted to do and spent 20 enjoying pretty much all of it, even the long nights, the miserable conditions, the getting out of bed at 2am when the United Reform Church Hall burnt down, the having to stay at work until 3am re-writing the front half of the paper after a local plane crash and dealing with the scum of the earth at the local magistrates' courts.
    I've also worked in our local Boots and thoroughly enjoyed that, although the customers can make that a lot more trying.
  • edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I get to play with tech all day, wear what I want, get invited to premières and parties, my commute is a 15 minute walk, and the pay's much more than I spend. On balance it's OK :D