Evander Holyfield was a complete waste of money

2»

Comments

• playa1playa1 Posts: 1,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MargMck wrote: »
    That was the weirdest bit for me too. I kept expecting someone to say "Evander has had to return to the States because he had another engagement which clashed with the extended Big Brother."
    But nothing. Probably some contracts, legal wrangle, so they had to just airbrush him.

Was he even in any montages? Only the bit when they were entering. None of the highlights, although I suppose he didn't really do anything of interest except admitting he punched a horse.
  • anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bunions wrote: »
    He's returned to Brokeback Mountain, bless him.

PMSL! You do crack me up at times, thank you!:D
  • anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BabelBrook wrote: »
    Irrespective of whether he was a worthwhile HM his celebrity status isn't a matter of opinion it is one of fact. You may not follow sport or boxing but he is undoubtedly a legend in his field and would be known worldwide unlike most of his fellow HMs.

You said it, he's a legend in HIS field. Not anything viewers like me are interested in. Don't get me wrong, many of the HM's were complete unknowns to me, as usual. I can't be bothered with most reality shows, don't buy the Sun or so celeb reporting magazines. If I was somehow FORCED to listen to rap music it would only be as a form of torture.;-)
  • SteganStegan Posts: 5,039
    Forum Member
    If we're talking boxers, British heavyweight Tyson Furey in the house might have been interesting to say the least. On second thoughts, maybe not - he seems more than slightly unhinged and capable of anything!

How about another Mr Tyson ...no definitely not! Frank Bruno would have been good - or maybe Barry McGuigan? I could also see someone like David Haye doing CBB in the future.

I suspected Evander Holyfield wouldn't last very long though.
  • puppetangelpuppetangel Posts: 2,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was BB's fault....they gave the power to Lee and Casey to kick someone out rather than the public, and if they had wanted to protect the money they'd spent on him...they would not have aired the clip of him and Luisa talking about his thoughts on being gay. Guess Ch5 didn't care about how much they'd spent.
  • BabelBrookBabelBrook Posts: 12,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    somin wrote: »
    It sounds like you're a fan of his and you're taking it personally. Amongst the British public who watch the show, his celebrity status is not as big as you claim. Yes, on a worldwide scale, his fame is probably bigger than the others, but what counts is how well the British public know him. A bankrupt 90s boxer who is barely remembered outside of boxing fans is not going to be such a huge draw for BB viewers, many of whom are probably too young to have seen Evander in his heyday. I reckon the producers know that they made a mistake casting him and paying him big money, but it doesn't matter so much since the other casting choices worked so well.

I have no personal investment in Evander nor am I a boxing fan. My response was simply to point out it is ridiculous to suggest someone's "celebrity status" is determined by personal preferences and experience or for that matter whether they have appeared in OK magazine. It's a bit like saying Jimmy Page couldn't be regarded as a "celebrity" because you have no interest in rock music. Evander may well have been a pointless HM but that does not diminish his "celebrity" badge which is arguably far more deserved than appearing in an ITV2 or E4 reality show which struggle for 1m viewers.
  • Sam SeedSam Seed Posts: 390
    Forum Member
    more boring than sam? no chance
  • DanShadwellDanShadwell Posts: 300
    Forum Member
    Evander Holyfield being scrubbed from BB folklore is absolutely fine with me. I'd much rather remember him for his sporting achievements - like winning his first world title at 23 years of age against a seasoned champion, battling 15 intense rounds in only his 12th pro fight, losing litre upon litre of fluid in the process.

And that's before he even embarked on his heavyweight career.

A true legend.
  • scorpionatthepcscorpionatthepc Posts: 5,377
    Forum Member
    It's so ironic that BB has all but wiped him from BB history.

I think it's got something to do with him punching a horse.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He was the biggest celeb in there but its like he never excisted what a fail by BB producers
    'Big Celebs' actually start at a DISadvantage as housemates, not an advantage. A touch of desperation can give someone a great determination to make a splash. An A-lister's main concern is likely to be that they don't tarnish the successful brand. As with the perfectly pleasant Latoya Jackson: in order to reel in the relatively big fish, they gave her her own private suite where she could not be filmed, which was hardly in the spirit of Big Brother.
    It was BB's fault....they gave the power to Lee and Casey to kick someone out rather than the public,

That may have been the least bad decision; when it came down to a straight one on one, the public might well have kicked out Luisa, as being the more annoying of the two. Lee and Casey were much friendlier with her than with Evander, so could be relied on to do the right thing; 'right' in the sense that it was already obvious that he was a damp squib.