Options

Amazon takes on Netflix with rebrand of LoveFilm video-on-demand service

Comments

• Options
    wakeywakey Posts: 3,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    they pay their taxes.

Except they won't do. No company pays all the taxes they should as no half competent accountant would let them. They pay as little as they can get away with, its just a big multi national has greater scope as they already have infrastructure abroad so can choose which parts of their business absolutely need to be in the country they are selling to. Most of the companies do nothing wrong (Starbucks are perhaps the exception as they are a physical retailer which probably explains why they paid up while the online retailers haven't) and its the government who are at fault for not making it more appealing for companies to base more of their operation in the UK
  • Options
    adam1968ukadam1968uk Posts: 265
    Forum Member
    wakey wrote: »
    Sherlocks been on Lovefilm for well over a year so its hardly only came on last week.

Well it was top of the recently added list. Perhaps that means over a year old then. Nice tone to your reply. Many friends? Thought not.
  • Options
    JEFF62JEFF62 Posts: 5,103
    Forum Member
    Hi

Ive tried to sign into my Amazon Instant Video account this morning on my PS3 and been getting the following message:

Were unable to complete your request. Please try again in a few minutes or contact Amazon Customer Service at: www.amazon.co.uk/videohelp

Anyone else getting the same?

Thanks

Baz
    JEFF62 wrote: »
    I am getting this message on my Samsung tv. But when I select ok it then loads up anyway. Still needs sorting out though.
    Hi

I lodged the issue with Amazon yesterday, they said that theyve not had anyone else report the issue and r unaware of it. The more pppl report it the better lol.

Thanks

Baz

This was still happening last night and a programme I was watching actually stopped halfway through and displayed this message. So will definitely raise it with Amazon as Baz suggests especially if not many people have reported it.
  • Options
    PaulS67PaulS67 Posts: 12,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not impressed with the turn around for getting discs out (hope this is just temporary)

I post my discs back on a Saturday

with lovefilm, they received them on a sunday and sent new ones out on a Monday, received on tuesday
    with new system they have just flagged them as received today, by the time I get new ones it will be a weeks delay
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paulsalter wrote: »
    Not impressed with the turn around for getting discs out (hope this is just temporary)

I post my discs back on a Saturday

with lovefilm, they received them on a sunday and sent new ones out on a Monday, received on tuesday
    with new system they have just flagged them as received today, by the time I get new ones it will be a weeks delay

You sure about them getting your discs on a Sunday? After all we don't have a regular postal service in the uk on Sundays so that would be unusual. Mine posted back to Lovefilm at around 7-8am on Saturday have always arrived at Lovefilm Monday morning (Where as my discs posted back on Wed at around 9am arrive at Lovefilm on Thursday Morning)

There hasn't been any slowdown in turn around for me either since the switch. The only real difference is there is no ’picking new titles’ message between them marking the returned discs as back and them showing the titles sent out. The fact that you say the discs only got marked as being back in today suggests to me that the delay is with Royal Mail, its happened with me a few times in the almost 3 years I've been a member where sometimes it takes 2 days rather than 1 to work through the postal service
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 327
    Forum Member
    My postal service seems to be running OK (after a few bumps initially following the change), but the website isn't as good.

- can't see how many discs I have remaining this month (I'm on 4 per month, 2 discs at a time)
    - can't see when something will dispatch today
    - can't rate movies easily
    - can't see my full rental history

I'm surprised they've reduced the functionality. I'd have expected them just to re-skin the Love Film site initially. I never particularly rated the Love Film site, but in retrospect it seems great.

I'm also getting the error message on the streaming app on my Samsung TV, though have managed to stream episodes of The Shield without a problem.
  • Options
    SupercellSupercell Posts: 5,079
    Forum Member
    I am a bit annoyed there is no obvious way of seeing which films that are on your 'by post' list are available on prime instant video. I used to have a separate online list where I could easily shift online films to when they had the play button showing, but the play logo symbol isn't there now.

I returned a disc last Thurs, got the email saying they had it but they didn't dispatch another immediately, they only dispatched yesterday (Monday).....unfortunately it was Place beyond the Pines that's now on Instant away way!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You sure about them getting your discs on a Sunday? After all we don't have a regular postal service in the uk on Sundays so that would be unusual. Mine posted back to Lovefilm at around 7-8am on Saturday have always arrived at Lovefilm Monday morning (Where as my discs posted back on Wed at around 9am arrive at Lovefilm on Thursday Morning)

There hasn't been any slowdown in turn around for me either since the switch. The only real difference is there is no ’picking new titles’ message between them marking the returned discs as back and them showing the titles sent out. The fact that you say the discs only got marked as being back in today suggests to me that the delay is with Royal Mail, its happened with me a few times in the almost 3 years I've been a member where sometimes it takes 2 days rather than 1 to work through the postal service

You are right, my mistake

they did arrive at Amazon on a Monday and the new discs where also sent out on a Monday (received on Tuesday)

No sign of any new discs in my list yet, just says I have none at home (Lovefilm would show discs about to be sent, saying we are sending these today)

If this is just a temporary problem then that's fine (seen mixed reports on deliveries so far, hoping it's just a small hiccup)
  • Options
    Mr SirsMr Sirs Posts: 4,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Couple of comments re previous posts:-

Main gripe with me is still only being able to see part of your previously rented list - at the moment it's 200, as said though this may just be temporary and will increase to the full list in time.

Reserved list is now in alphabetical order - thankfully! But it lumps them all together rather than separating the release dated titles alphabetically at the start, then all the rest alphabetically. Again, this may be coming...

Over the years I have had very few issues with posting/receiving discs - maybe twice Lovefilm never received the disc, couple of times I never received a disc. No probs so far with Amazon. It's always worth remembering when the final collection is from a postbox/post office, especially on a Saturday - even our main post office in a large town has a final collection of 12.30pm on Saturday lunchtime, so anything posted after this time isn't going to get lifted till the Monday. They'll get it prob. Tue, post out & receive another Wed or Thur at the latest - so in this example it takes longer than you think if you're not posting back early on a Saturday morning!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mr Sirs wrote: »
    Couple of comments re previous posts:-

Main gripe with me is still only being able to see part of your previously rented list - at the moment it's 200, as said though this may just be temporary and will increase to the full list in time.

I agree its probably temporary, but do you actually see 200 when you go into your history

mine says 200 but when I go into it there are only 16 films showing

I have had Lovefilm since 2008, 2 discs per week, so really want all this history back (and my ratings)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I agree its probably temporary, but do you actually see 200 when you go into your history

I have had Lovefilm since 2008, 2 discs per week, so really want all this history back (and my ratings)

Like you, mine says there are 200 on the list, but I only see 16 when I click on the link.

A couple of additional gripes:
    - on the rental list I want to see my reserved items ordered by release date, not alphabetical order.
    - I agree it's annoying not being able to see which of the items on my rental list are available to stream. Given that it's all on Amazon's site now, when I search for a DVD in the store I want to be able to choose whether I buy, add to rental list, or stream, depending on which options are available.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    scoggy wrote: »
    when I search for a DVD in the store I want to be able to choose whether I buy, add to rental list, or stream, depending on which options are available.

Not sure if its a recent change on it, but it seems to show the options if they are available

If you search for example Toy Story 3

Under the DVD/Blu Ray titles it will mention if it's available for rental, also a separate line for streaming if it's there

be nice if it was all under one entry though (for me) and just listed the options once
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Not sure if its a recent change on it, but it seems to show the options if they are available

If you search for example Toy Story 3

Under the DVD/Blu Ray titles it will mention if it's available for rental, also a separate line for streaming if it's there

be nice if it was all under one entry though (for me) and just listed the options once

Ah yes - thanks. I can now see those when I do a general search, but not when I search within the DVD & Blu Ray category. Looks like they're at least getting there.

Given how good Amazon generally is at customer experience I'd expect the functionality to improve. That is unless they're not that interested in the 'Love Film by Post' part of the service and just want to concentrate on the streaming.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes - still saying 200, but only showing 16! Hope this gets sorted out as you say.
  • Options
    hybridtheoryhybridtheory Posts: 850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JEFF62 wrote: »
    This was still happening last night and a programme I was watching actually stopped halfway through and displayed this message. So will definitely raise it with Amazon as Baz suggests especially if not many people have reported it.

Hi

I just logged in this evening and didn't receive the message. R u still seeing the message when u log in?

Thanks

Baz
  • Options
    JEFF62JEFF62 Posts: 5,103
    Forum Member
    Hi

I just logged in this evening and didn't receive the message. R u still seeing the message when u log in?

Thanks

Baz

No. The message has gone for me too. I did phone Amazon this morning and was told they are aware of the problem so looks like it is now fixed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not sure if I am misreading their email

Just got confirmation that my 2 new discs are on there way

At the bottom of the email it says they received my discs sent back and some more will be on there way soon, does this mean I get extra? or are they referring to the discs at the top they have just sent

I was on 2 discs unlimited (if it's the same now)
  • Options
    reddressreddress Posts: 26,466
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sherlocks been on Lovefilm for well over a year so its hardly only came on last week.

I'm certain I looked for Sherlock a while back on Lovefilm and it wasn't there and then when it I'd appear on my list I had the same experience as the other poster. I only managed to watch the first episode in series 2 when a few hours later it was no longer avalible to me.

I'm getting fed up of having stuff appear only to then find I can't watch it so I will be cancelling and sticking with Netflix and use the money I would save to rent films on iTunes that I would have watched on lovefilm.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    reddress wrote: »
    I'm certain I looked for Sherlock a while back on Lovefilm and it wasn't there and then when it I'd appear on my list I had the same experience as the other poster. I only managed to watch the first episode in series 2 when a few hours later it was no longer avalible to me.

I'm getting fed up of having stuff appear only to then find I can't watch it so I will be cancelling and sticking with Netflix and use the money I would save to rent films on iTunes that I would have watched on lovefilm.

It used to always show up on the iPad app whenever I checked the BBC collection. Admittedly its not a collection I checked regularly (only if I was after a specific show to rewatch) so perhaps its possible that between me last looking at the collection and you checking for it it wasn't available. If so I wonder if it was added to the database incorrectly as a prime title when they only had buy/rent rights
  • Options
    Hopper's mumHopper's mum Posts: 596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have never used Amazon much and so am still trying to get used to their site. I've noticed people mentioning that they have emailed or phoned Amazon but I haven't found contact details on their site. Can somebody point me in the right direction please?

I don't like the way you can't just give a star rating to the films now - you have to write a review too. And am I right in thinking that you can't see your previously viewed 'instant' films?

We've just sent back our first lot of discs under the new system. We always posted back on day 1, they received and sent out the next disc(s) on day 2 and we received them on day 3. Always. I have always told everyone how brilliant their service was. I hope it continues.
  • Options
    jonnyinscotlandjonnyinscotland Posts: 999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have never used Amazon much and so am still trying to get used to their site. I've noticed people mentioning that they have emailed or phoned Amazon but I haven't found contact details on their site. Can somebody point me in the right direction please?

I don't like the way you can't just give a star rating to the films now - you have to write a review too. And am I right in thinking that you can't see your previously viewed 'instant' films?

We've just sent back our first lot of discs under the new system. We always posted back on day 1, they received and sent out the next disc(s) on day 2 and we received them on day 3. Always. I have always told everyone how brilliant their service was. I hope it continues.

Via help link at bottom of page: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/contact-us
  • Options
    renard grisrenard gris Posts: 1,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At last! :) The 'Previously Rented' list is now showing the 200 entries as indicated. Hopefully, they will extend this to show all previous rentals?!
  • Options
    tvsatweektvsatweek Posts: 863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just out of interest if I want to go from 1 disc to say 2 disc or 3 disc etc how where would I do this
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tvsatweek wrote: »
    Just out of interest if I want to go from 1 disc to say 2 disc or 3 disc etc how where would I do this

Don't think you can. They only technically offer the 2 disc service now. You may be able to email them and get them to switch you to 2 disc but they may charge you the full £7.99 price rather than the discounted rate so it may end up being much more expensive just to add a second disc
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At last! :) The 'Previously Rented' list is now showing the 200 entries as indicated. Hopefully, they will extend this to show all previous rentals?!

Spoke to them on the phone this week and the latest is:-

Previously rented list is to be extended to show all/complete titles - currently working through this.