Options

Mary Berry cooks

Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
Forum Member
Couldn't see a thread so I've made one - please merge if it's a duplicate.

Anyone watching Queen Mary?!
The dinner party stuff looked lovely especially the guinea fowl in that luxurious sauce.

Also the chocolate tart - yum. I'd never thought of rolling the pastry onto the tin base and then folding in the edges before placing it all into the tin and unfolding the edges up the sides. What a simple but effective trick :)

It's Sunday Lunch on tomorrow's show.

Comments

• Options
    Forum Member
    It's Sunday at Mary's house :) BBC2 now
  • Options
    vixyvicvixyvic Posts: 13,490
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm watching - haven't seen any other threads. :)
  • Options
    jimbo1962jimbo1962 Posts: 2,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cant watch..the wee woman is too old and arthritic to be on TV
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Wow the oniony 'mush' looked lush!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jimbo1962 wrote: »

I hope that's a joke. how absurd.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yorkshires.... argh, my nemesis!
  • Options
    I, CandyI, Candy Posts: 3,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Definitely going to try this roast lamb recipe.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    Yorkshires.... argh, my nemesis!
    I've had mixed results with them - I do love them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yorkshires are basically the same mix as a plain pancake mix..... though they both taste quite different don't they.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yorkshires are basically the same mix as a plain pancake mix..... though they both taste quite different don't they.
    Mum said they use to have them with sugar and butter for pudding too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    'scrummy' :D

Love it when Mary uses words from Enid Blyton books!
    I'm sure she said 'wizard' once.
  • Options
    jerseyporterjerseyporter Posts: 2,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Couldn't see a thread so I've made one - please merge if it's a duplicate.

Anyone watching Queen Mary?!
    The dinner party stuff looked lovely especially the guinea fowl in that luxurious sauce.

Also the chocolate tart - yum. I'd never thought of rolling the pastry onto the tin base and then folding in the edges before placing it all into the tin and unfolding the edges up the sides. What a simple but effective trick :)

It's Sunday Lunch on tomorrow's show.

BIB - I'd never done it before I made Mary's tarte au citron recipe, but I'm a convert now to both her sweet pastry recipe (I use it for all my sweet baking now) and the rolling-over-the-base-of-the-tin-and-folding-the-edges-in technique, so give it a try and see what you think!

I liked the look of the salmon mousse too - I'm going to try that very soon!

Enjoying all of them so far - I'm definitely a 'keen home cook'!
    jimbo1962 wrote: »

What's age got to do with anything? Rather rude imho - I'd rather have Mary's years of experience than some of the young 'experts' who are ok, but don't have the level of innate experience that Mary has. And what makes you think Mary Berry is arthritic? Her left had is 'crumpled' (to use Mary's own words) due to the polio she had when she was 13, but arthritic? If you've read somewhere that Mary has arthritis, and that it's affecting her ability to cook I'm happy to be corrected, but my mother-in-law has arthritis in her hands, and Mary's hands are nothing like hers. Mary manages fiddly little tasks my m-in-law could only dream of (and she's younger than Mary!).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    OMG fish pie...... drool :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    O my word I would bury that whole pie.... I'd have put a little bit of Worcestershire sauce on top of the cheese before cooking... and yummmm.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    "Have a prayer for me" :D

I want a Mary Berry!
  • Options
    Iggy's BoyIggy's Boy Posts: 3,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lovely show tonight. Mary Berry is brilliant and her shows always have a really handy tip that I've never seen before like the aforementioned rolling pastry over the base of the tin trick, the damp teatowel with the pre-made sandwiches trick and tonight the pre-cooking yorkshire puddings and re-crisping later trick. Great stuff! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Iggy's Boy wrote: »
    Lovely show tonight. Mary Berry is brilliant and her shows always have a really handy tip that I've never seen before like the aforementioned rolling pastry over the base of the tin trick, the damp teatowel with the pre-made sandwiches trick and tonight the pre-cooking yorkshire puddings and re-crisping later trick. Great stuff! :)

I agree. This show has also shown that Mary is a big fan of:
    - pre-cooking and reheating
    - clingfilm!
  • Options
    macavity77macavity77 Posts: 404
    Forum Member
    I do enjoy her recipes. No fuss or being pretentious and makes things that you can realistically achieve at home. I can't abide the usual television cook stuff with all that swearing, posing about and being too artistic with huge plates and smears and squirts of stuff.

I must say, she is rather brisk though. Did she really say to that Yorkshire chef that his popping candy was childish? :)
  • Options
    Scarlett BerryScarlett Berry Posts: 21,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't like Mary Berry at all.
  • Options
    Iggy's BoyIggy's Boy Posts: 3,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Why not? Are you related?

I liked that she gave a rather withering reaction to the chef's popping candy. Apart from being incredibly old-hat to use it in restaurant dishes now, it's gimmicky, isn't actually pleasurable to eat and holds no appeal if you are over eight years old.
  • Options
    Scarlett BerryScarlett Berry Posts: 21,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Iggy's Boy wrote: »
    Why not? Are you related?

I liked that she gave a rather withering reaction to the chef's popping candy. Apart from being incredibly old-hat to use it in restaurant dishes now, it's gimmicky, isn't actually pleasurable to eat and holds no appeal if you are over eight years old.

Related to whome?:confused:
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member

I rather agree with you, I can't 'warm' to her at all. It confirmed I was right when I read about how she whacked her kids with a wooden spoon!
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Related to whome?:confused:

Scarlett Berry, Mary Berry!
  • Options
    macavity77macavity77 Posts: 404
    Forum Member
    Wish I had a pound for every time I felt like whacking kids with a wooden spoon. :p

There is some very bad spelling on this thread and what on earth is 'popping candy anyway'?
  • Options
    domedome Posts: 55,878
    Forum Member
    vixyvic wrote: »
    Mum said they use to have them with sugar and butter for pudding too.

We used to have left over yorkshires with jam.