Manuka honey

RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Am I seeing the price of this right?

Nigh on £30 for a jar?

WTF.

I assume if I have been told to use this then I should?

(it's for my cat - feel free to move mod's - there is just more traffic here)

Comments

• RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joni M wrote: »

Wowser - why is it so much more expensive everywhere else???

I am nowhere near an Aldi and I need it ASAP.
  • WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bite the bullet and pay more. The reason some of it's cheaper is because it's from several different sources. Any kind of Manuka honey is good, but I'd recommend you buy the best. Not only can you eat it (obviously) but it's also used for curing infections, especially in cases where the bacteria is antibiotic resistant. It's good stuff to have in the house!
  • epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not all manuka honey is 'active' or medical grade. I suppose that might be the difference.

Is it to put on a wound?
  • paulkerpaulker Posts: 927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

There are different qualities of manuka honey. The good stuff has amazing anti bacterial qualities. Apply it to infected woulds and it works wonders.
  • renard grisrenard gris Posts: 1,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Tesco and Asda sell Rowse Manuka Honey, but it costs more than the Aldi version. It sells for £9.99/250g jar (10+ rating). MH costs even more in Holland and Barrett.
  • paulkerpaulker Posts: 927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    paulker wrote: »
    There are different qualities of manuka honey. The good stuff has amazing anti bacterial qualities. Apply it to infected woulds and it works wonders.
    :)

You guys beat me to it :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep it is for a wound.

Only place I can get to is a Holland & Barrett so I'll speak to someone there.

Cheers guys. Just checking that I wasn't getting ripped off :(
  • oscardelahoyaoscardelahoya Posts: 4,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw on tv the other day (can't remember the programme) that even just the UK sales outstrip entire global production and so loads of it must be fake. I don't know how you tell which is real stuff or not.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Unless it's medical grade you may as well use other standard medical/anti bacterial products. Why are you so desperate to use Manuka Honey?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I regularly use the Aldi m/h for my dogs' wounds if the have been fighting and it does work, just slap it on and even if the animal licks it some will remain in the wound and be pushed further in by licking.
  • TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member
    Yep it is for a wound.

Only place I can get to is a Holland & Barrett so I'll speak to someone there.

Cheers guys. Just checking that I wasn't getting ripped off :(

Who recommended it what kind of wound? Hibiscrub is my go to wound cleaner or colloidal silver
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Unless it's medical grade you may as well use other standard medical/anti bacterial products. Why are you so desperate to use Manuka Honey?

Vet told me to use it
    TWS wrote: »
    Who recommended it what kind of wound? Hibiscrub is my go to wound cleaner or colloidal silver

As above - vet said to use it.

It's a leg wound that hasn't healed (entry wound from a drain that had to be fitted) other two wounds have healed - actual cut and exit wound from said drain
  • Joni MJoni M Posts: 70,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vet told me to use it

As above - vet said to use it.

It's a leg wound that hasn't healed (entry wound from a drain that had to be fitted) other two wounds have healed - actual cut and exit wound from said drain

The cheaper stuff ( +10) will work fine :) The supermarkets normally sell it but it's dearer, maybe try Amazon?

I just hate people getting ripped off :blush:
  • epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Listen to Joni

It's from the Daily Mail, granted, but:
    Ken Allen, managing director of a firm which makes wound dressings impregnated with manuka honey for the NHS, says: 'We use the same honey you get in the supermarket, but we then sterilise and purify it because we are held to much stricter standards.'
    He says neither UMF nor MGO is ideal, but believes the rest of us don't need to worry about how potent the honey is: 'It doesn't have to have a high rating. Even one as low as UMF 10 can heal leg ulcers.'
  • AmberPandaAmberPanda Posts: 461
    Forum Member
    Its beautiful honey, had some while in NZ and bought a jar home.
    Last time I bought some here was in Holland & Barrett, expensive yes, but I have never tasted honey like it. :D
  • GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MY dad used to have dressings that were impregnated with Manuka honey. He got them free on prescription but we were told they cost £18 each. He would need at least 1 a day, sometimes 2. :o
  • grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw on tv the other day (can't remember the programme) that even just the UK sales outstrip entire global production and so loads of it must be fake. I don't know how you tell which is real stuff or not.

I saw this too. Since there's no way to tell the difference until AFTER you've eaten it, then no one with any sense would pay a lot of money for it until they can be assured it's the real thing.
  • SunnierSunnier Posts: 850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Read somewhere that in Australia 35 Manuka honey brands were tested for the UMF rating and just 17 were authentic active honey.

Two brands I know of that can be trusted are 'Comvita' and 'HNZ'..

It's worth checking different online websites for a bargain ~ last year on one 'site I was able to get 3 x 500gm jars of 'HNZ' with a 10+ UMF rating for around £45 ( just checked and that site are asking for £60+ for those 3 jars today..:o )

:)
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,498
    Forum Member
    TWS wrote: »

Not a patch on manuka honey, my wife was prescribed it in hospital for a massive foot infection - the silver seemed pretty useless.
  • MartinPickeringMartinPickering Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All *pure* honey is inherently antibacterial. The mechanism is osmosis: pure honey is fiercely hygroscopic so it sucks water through the bacterium cell's membrane and dehydrates it - thus killing it. I've used local Cretan honey and it works fine.

Because of this property, pure honey keeps indefinitely because no bacteria or mould can survive in contact with it.
  • ResonanceResonance Posts: 16,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There was a programme on the TV the other week saying that most of it is fake. Can't remember the exact percentage, but it was something like 80%
  • SunnierSunnier Posts: 850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Resonance wrote: »
    There was a programme on the TV the other week saying that most of it is fake. Can't remember the exact percentage, but it was something like 80%

If it has this symbol ~ UMF® ~ on the front label of the jar,the ® symbol is important,it is very likely authentic medical Manuka honey.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've no choice but to go to a Holland & Barrett (£28.99 but it's grade 24+)

I need to start today as cat is back at vets in 6 days so I need her wound to heal.

I hope it does the job.