2»

Comments

• tobykimtobykim Posts: 645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep too shouty for me too,nothing tuneful about that
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    I think they are coached to do & be shouty. It seems to attract votes.
  • NicoleRichNicoleRich Posts: 2,107
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nope. Just because someone belts some notes people automatically label it as screaming.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mrs Spratt wrote: »
    Yes, when she was asked 'Is there anything you can't do?' We said 'Sing quietly!'

Way over the top and the shouty delivery completely lost the story of the song.

Yet she managed it quite easily in the battle rounds. :confused:
  • SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She was so shouty in her first performance, it took me a while to realise which song she was singing...or rather, shouting.
  • scoobiesnacksscoobiesnacks Posts: 3,055
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes too shouty. The musical arrangement was OTT too.
  • spaceygalspaceygal Posts: 3,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes she can get a bit shouty at times but I still she is by far the best singer in the comp and I hope she wins. Amazing pitch perfect vocals with a great vocal tone. Didn't like the song she sang this week though, it was a bit tuneless, I thought. The other 3 finalists I think are decent enough but they leave me a bit cold and I don't think they're in Christina's league. Sally I find quite boring. Her voice but a bit dull to me. She never seems to show any expression or emotion when she speaks and when she's voted through there's hardly any reaction, no surprise from her. It's like she expected to get through. Something about her I can't warm to. The two guys have great voices and nice personalities, I wish them both well. But for me it's Christina Marie all the way. :-)
  • bornfreebornfree Posts: 16,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She shouts.
  • Kat_12Kat_12 Posts: 1,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think Christina's shouty at all, she just has a big voice. Trust me, I'm normally the first to complain about shouty singers. I nearly put my foot through the TV last year when Cleo bellowed her way through Imagine like a particularly irate bullock.

Of the final four, I think I prefer Christina Marie and Jamie, who I hadn't paid much attention to before, but I thought was excellent last night. Sally has a nice voice, but I don't find her particularly thrilling, and I find Jermain's voice totally off putting. He doesn't seem to have much stage presence either. Despite all his jumping about and weird notes I was really bored by his performance. It was a bit of a crap song, though.

I'd rather have had Sophie May in the final.

Also, I'd never heard of Sally's song before. Is that showing my age or a gap in my musical knowledge?
  • Dilly DaydreamDilly Daydream Posts: 6,160
    Forum Member
    That Christina Marie is too shouty?

Yes, I do.
  • Dilly DaydreamDilly Daydream Posts: 6,160
    Forum Member
    Kat_12 wrote: »
    I don't think Christina's shouty at all, she just has a big voice. Trust me, I'm normally the first to complain about shouty singers. I nearly put my foot through the TV last year when Cleo bellowed her way through Imagine like a particularly irate bullock.

Of the final four, I think I prefer Christina Marie and Jamie, who I hadn't paid much attention to before, but I thought was excellent last night. Sally has a nice voice, but I don't find her particularly thrilling, and I find Jermain's voice totally off putting. He doesn't seem to have much stage presence either. Despite all his jumping about and weird notes I was really bored by his performance. It was a bit of a crap song, though.

I'd rather have had Sophie May in the final.

Also, I'd never heard of Sally's song before. Is that showing my age or a gap in my musical knowledge?

It's a gap in your musical knowledge ;-)
  • Kat_12Kat_12 Posts: 1,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a gap in your musical knowledge ;-)

You're probably right :D

It was released before I was born, although that's no excuse. I mean, I know Smile, and that was written quite some time before I was born!
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    moonlily wrote: »
    Yes Christina Marie is far too powerful for me I'm afraid.

I also like Jamie but he murdered that beautiful ,fragile Bonnie Raitt song, sometimes less is more.

Couldn't agree more, especially with the BIB but subtlety appears to be sadly lacking with most of last nights performances. Why knowingly hold back and concentrate on telling the story when you can yell out the lyrics with all of the emotion of a robot appears to be the order of the day
  • DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 110,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Shouty the famous old term that is always directed at female singers ususally younger ones when there is a strong chance of them winning
  • johartukjohartuk Posts: 11,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NicoleRich wrote: »
    Nope. Just because someone belts some notes people automatically label it as screaming.

Belting is singing more powerfully in a controlled way. Christina wasn't belting - she was shouting. There was no control in what she was doing once she upped the volume.
  • johartukjohartuk Posts: 11,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DUNDEEBOY wrote: »
    Shouty the famous old term that is always directed at female singers ususally younger ones when there is a strong chance of them winning

To be fair, young singers make up the majority of contestants on these shows, so it's more likely that any singer being criticised is going to be young (look how many young singers made the live shows - I think Sally is the only one who could be classed as 'old'). Also, young singers tend to lack experience and are often still learning how to control their voices - hence the tendency for young ones to shout more than older ones. That's not to say that no older ones shout - it's just more likely that younger ones will.

I don't get the whole 'female' thing - I criticise shouty singers whether they have vaginas or penises. There were some shouty male singers in the earlier stages of the competition. The thing is, by the time we got to the lives, they'd pretty much all gone. None of those who got through to the semi-final (Bizzi, Jermaine, Chris, Jamie, Lee) are what I'd consider shouty singers. None of the females (bar Christina) are either.
  • Mrs SprattMrs Spratt Posts: 4,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Ah yes, ageism, sexism and/or jealousy, the famous old criticism that is always directed at anyone on these boards who dares to criticise someone else's favourite ...
  • I'm-a-painI'm-a-pain Posts: 1,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't DISlike it, but would've liked a bit more light'n'shade

xx
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,273
    Forum Member
    I was disappointed with that performance and it ruined the song for me. I'm still glad she's through though, she's a talent to be reckoned with and I think that was just a blip.
  • brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    johartuk wrote: »
    There's a difference between a big vocal and shouting. Also, I'm not sure that song required a big vocal.
    Yes, there's a difference, and she wasn't shouting. She was controlled. Whether the song required a big vocal is another matter, but it's the arrangement she and the coach decided on, and it worked for me. I hadn't paid much attention to her before, but she stood out for me in the semi.
  • attackmusicattackmusic Posts: 3,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Hilarious isn't it. Singing like that could never be confused with shouting, it's contrarian nonsense.