Food banks see 'shocking' rise in number of users - 913 000 food parcels - 51% rise

Comments

• gummy mummygummy mummy Posts: 26,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LOL you are the one who seems to be believing everything they read in the press in respect of food banks

To deny that there are people abusing the system as you are doing does not make you a credible commentator on the subject in my opinion

Of course there are people who abuse food banks in someway, if there is something to be abused someone will abuse it, but why do you presume that it is only Labour supporters who abuse them.
  • DiscombobulateDiscombobulate Posts: 4,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course there are people who abuse food banks in someway, if there is something to be abused someone will abuse it, but why do you presume that it is only Labour supporters who abuse them.

can you show me one single post where I have presumed only Labour voters abuse food banks ?

Still as you have enter the fray do you fancy trying to convince Peter the Great that some people do abuse food banks as he appears adamant that is not the case
  • Jean_DanielsJean_Daniels Posts: 5,031
    Forum Member
    i volunteer with a food bank,its sad to see so many people needing food in this day and age,the goverment just dont care,
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I trust that all those on here that are able to do so make a donation to their local food bank?

I do. The local foodbank is the company's charity of the year.
  • Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LOL you are the one who seems to be believing everything they read in the press in respect of food banks

To deny that there are people abusing the system as you are doing does not make you a credible commentator on the subject in my opinion
    Yes because those bleeding hearts in the Sun and Daily Mail are always writing sympathetic stories on people using food banks. Don't try to lecture me on credibility when you ain't got a clue what you are talking about. There has been a significant rise of people using food banks and all you come up with is because people are spending all their money on cars and tv's instead of food. Not that there are alot of people struggling to get by. Many of which actually work.
  • CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You also seem to deny that there are genuine cases of people needing food banks. Like many who have been sanctioned when on benefits.
  • 3Sheets2TheWind3Sheets2TheWind Posts: 3,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i volunteer with a food bank,its sad to see so many people needing food in this day and age,the goverment just dont care,

It is good that you do that and I try and make regular donations to my nearest one.

I think that there is a lot of noise and anger on here about foodbanks, but I do wonder how many out of those that are able are angry enough to donate some time / food items to one.

It is too simplistic to say the government don't care, unless you are blaming the last lot as well?
  • oathyoathy Posts: 32,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But didn't we all know? Everything is perfect right now.
    Hell You could be mistaken watching sky news today Kay burley slavering over the fact
    "everyone is going to be better off now"...Funny they didn't go out into the streets asking people because before the budget both sky and BBC everyone was saying how tough they are still finding it.

Energy bills are crippling
    General costs of running a house (food clothing) still horrendous.
    Just look at the results from Tescos and other big stores Debenhams are having to reduce at massive levels just to get trade going.
    The disparity in these results is just bordering on Farce.

Record numbers of people relying on food banks yet the media saying we have never had it so good for a long time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    can you show me one single post where I have presumed only Labour voters abuse food banks ?

Still as you have enter the fray do you fancy trying to convince Peter the Great that some people do abuse food banks as he appears adamant that is not the case
    I didn't deny that some people abuse the system. I deny that the rise in their use is because most are abusing it which is what you are saying.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CELT1987 wrote: »
    You also seem to deny that there are genuine cases of people needing food banks. Like many who have been sanctioned when on benefits.

Nice try, but if you had read all my posts in this thread you would know that is not the case.

Try reply #11 for starters
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't deny that some people abuse the system. I deny that the rise in their use is because most are abusing it which is what you are saying.

I have never said that but if you are so sure I have please tell me where ...........
  • CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nice try, but if you had read all my posts in this thread you would know that is not the case.

Try reply #11 for starters
    Nothing you say there says you think there are lots of genuine cases. You only highlight ones that abuse the system.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes because those bleeding hearts in the Sun and Daily Mail are always writing sympathetic stories on people using food banks. Don't try to lecture me on credibility when you ain't got a clue what you are talking about. There has been a significant rise of people using food banks and all you come up with is because people are spending all their money on cars and tv's instead of food. Not that there are alot of people struggling to get by. Many of which actually work.

You would do a lot better if you actually attributed things to me which I said rather than things you have made up, which is the case with most of your post that I have quoted here
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CELT1987 wrote: »
    Nothing you say there says you think there are lots of genuine cases. You only highlight ones that abuse the system.

I take it from that you either did not read to the end of the post or did not understand it

I specifically said

Face it there are a lot of greedy people who take advantage of the free food and the people who suffer as a result are the real needy.

so there you have it I did say there are people in real need. Didn't I ?
  • iamsofirediamsofired Posts: 13,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even after all the documentaries we've had on 1st world poverty people still think food bank users dont receive enough money from the state to feed themselves and families? The common thread in nearly all the TV case studies ive seen are bad money management, benefit sanctions or addictions.

I dont think most benefit claimants live in luxury but I think there is enough money handed out to live off but people have to take their share of responsibility for how they live their lives and think very carefully before bringing children into the world if you have no independent means of supporting them.
  • Big PhilBig Phil Posts: 1,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iamsofired wrote: »
    Even after all the documentaries we've had on 1st world poverty people still think food bank users dont receive enough money from the state to feed themselves and families? The common thread in nearly all the TV case studies ive seen are bad money management, benefit sanctions or addictions.

I dont think most benefit claimants live in luxury but I think there is enough money handed out to live off but people have to take their share of responsibility for how they live their lives and think very carefully before bringing children into the world if you have no independent means of supporting them.

Beautifully put.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You think there is enough money handed out? Have you ever lived on benefits? Also many of these people are working.
  • razorboyrazorboy Posts: 5,831
    Forum Member

Would that everybody acted rationally all the time and that everyone had the skills and intellectual capacity to respond intelligently to every situation in this complex world. Even middle class people get into debt from time to time.

"Let him who is without sin".. etc. It is always easy to point the finger of blame at people especially when we have made no effort to understand.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I take it from that you either did not read to the end of the post or did not understand it

I specifically said

Face it there are a lot of greedy people who take advantage of the free food and the people who suffer as a result are the real needy.

so there you have it I did say there are people in real need. Didn't I ?
    Yes but you said there are alot of greedy people taking advantage of the free food. You didn't say some. You said alot. It seem to me like you were saying that the rise of use of food banks was mostly down to greedy people who didn't need to be using them.
  • razorboyrazorboy Posts: 5,831
    Forum Member

Are you saying that only the very rich who are not dependent on being employed for their financial stability should have children. How can an average parent predict their health or employment status for the next 20 years or indeed that the child will have good health or that they will not have responsibilities for caring for parents
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,416
    Forum Member
    I imagine IDS couldn't be happier.

He's so happy, he's even sent benefit claimants an Easter card ----> https://twitter.com/BolsoverBeast/status/455964387262877696/photo/1

Seriously, the news that the largest numbers ever of British citizens is dependent on food banks is an indictment of government policy and of the delays in paying benefits in a timely manner.
  • oathyoathy Posts: 32,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Posted In another thread the biggest ignored issue is a lot of the jobs out there are terrible. 14 hrs per week meaning that person has to rely on inwork benefits the media as a whole talks "welfare" and barely mentions the inwork benefits taking the slack for terrible hours even with minimum wage. I know one lady she works in poundworld in the morning and home bargains in the afternoon.

the media want to give this impression all new jobs are 9-5 well paid so whats the problem we know that just isn't the case and that's what's leading to these confusing numbers add into the mix EU Migrants' jumping on these jobs because it then opens up the in work benefits for them and coming from some really poor countries they think its amazing.

Squeezed middle my Arse. The working class are being ripped apart and that's why UKIP is finding more and more support because unlike Labour who seem focused on the wrong sector they don't see the problem of its core voters. People are taking jobs but they are so poorly paid they have no choice to rely on benefits and then finding no other choice to asking for help via food banks.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes but you said there are alot of greedy people taking advantage of the free food. You didn't say some. You said alot. It seem to me like you were saying that the rise of use of food banks was mostly down to greedy people who didn't need to be using them.

So you were blaming me for your assumptions. Nice .........................
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oathy wrote: »
    Squeezed middle my Arse. The working class are being ripped apart and that's why UKIP is finding more and more support because unlike Labour who seem focused on the wrong sector they don't see the problem of its core voters. People are taking jobs but they are so poorly paid they have no choice to rely on benefits and then finding no other choice to asking for help via food banks.
    Have you read UKIPs policies on employment legislation and employee rights and UKIPs policies on working age benefits? Because champions of the working person they are not.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You think there is enough money handed out? Have you ever lived on benefits? Also many of these people are working.

Yes I have lived on benefits. When I did, I made sure that food was my number 1 priority. If someone has recently lost their job then I can just about understand someone having no money and empty cupboards but if someone is working *and* claiming benefits then they really should be able to put food on their table.

The foodbank I'm involved with organise basic cookery and financial planning lessons as there really are some people who as soon as they get some money they head straight down to the takeaway and off licence with it.