Options

Missing episode discovery rumours

Comments

• Options
    brouhahabrouhaha Posts: 662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hopefully one day they will all return but until then why not get excited about the brand new era that is about to begin?

Because some of us would rather watch classic Doctor Who than what's currently going out under the Doctor Who banner.
    Its become such a 'thing' that its almost as if some people have forgotten that ultimately its not that big of a deal if they do find the new episodes

In your opinion. Some of us happen to believe differently.
  • Options
    ianradioianianradioian Posts: 74,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not a fan of the new series, overblown style over substance and up is own backside.Not for me.
    I loved watching the older series especially Troughton and Pertwee- the recently returned Web of Fear is outstanding.I want loads more returns!
  • Options
    TheophileTheophile Posts: 2,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rooks wrote: »
    Not everyone on this forum is a fan of the new series and I include myself in that group. I watch it, I sometimes enjoy it (and hate it in equal measure) but I'm no fan. Heck, I even stopped watching for a period during the RTD era because I couldn't stand it and only returned at the start of the Matt Smith series. There's an assumption that all fans are fans of both shows but that's not the case. I'd love to have been a fan of New Who but it's never grabbed me, still hasn't.
    )

I actually love RTD, but it is Moffat that I can't stand.
  • Options
    RooksRooks Posts: 9,101
    Forum Member
    Theophile wrote: »

Well I kind of expected that the era has it's fans otherwise it would have been cancelled :D

Viva le difference! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I kind of expected that the era has it's fans otherwise it would have been cancelled :D

Viva le difference! :)

Overall, Doctor Who is so good that even at its worse, it beats 98% of all of T.V.. That is why it took them so long to "starve it to death" back in the 1980s.

Even if, Heaven Forbid, Moffat stayed on for another five years, I would keep watching the show for the small bits that I liked and I would patiently wait for a better show runner. Most shows don't last seven years, but, with Doctor Who's long and illustrious history, we an afford to be patient.

Also, I can keep watching the 47 years of pre-Moffat material to tide me over. :)
  • Options
    AidanLunnAidanLunn Posts: 5,320
    Forum Member
    Overall, Doctor Who is so good that even at its worse, it beats 98% of all of T.V.. That is why it took them so long to "starve it to death" back in the 1980s.

Even if, Heaven Forbid, Moffat stayed on for another five years, I would keep watching the show for the small bits that I liked and I would patiently wait for a better show runner. Most shows don't last seven years, but, with Doctor Who's long and illustrious history, we an afford to be patient.

Also, I can keep watching the 47 years of pre-Moffat material to tide me over. :)

I would go so far as to consider Twin Dilemma, Trial and Series 24 to be below even the worst of the dross we see on TV now.
  • Options
    Dr jake youngDr jake young Posts: 652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AidanLunn wrote: »
    I would go so far as to consider Twin Dilemma, Trial and Series 24 to be below even the worst of the dross we see on TV now.

Oh i don't know, i would happily watch those lot over eastenders any day!
  • Options
    sertonserton Posts: 730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do quite like trial, especially the last story with the vervoids
  • Options
    chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd like to echo comments here from posters bored with the current version of DW. I most certainly agree with my old chum Theophile: Steven Moffat's DW is not one that interests me.

Nice to see praise for the Trial season, and especially the Vervoid story. I blummin love the Vervoids! :D
  • Options
    The_abbottThe_abbott Posts: 26,958
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    New Who isn't for me either. I have seen pretty much every episode but for me something is wrong with it - I think someone said style over substance and I think thats it.

I actually liked Ecclestone I have to say but other than that season I wouldn't say I enjoy Who anymore. Give me Classic Who every time. Even Paradise Towers!
  • Options
    The_abbottThe_abbott Posts: 26,958
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not everyone on this forum is a fan of the new series and I include myself in that group. I watch it, I sometimes enjoy it (and hate it in equal measure) but I'm no fan. Heck, I even stopped watching for a period during the RTD era because I couldn't stand it and only returned at the start of the Matt Smith series. There's an assumption that all fans are fans of both shows but that's not the case. I'd love to have been a fan of New Who but it's never grabbed me, still hasn't.

I'm far more interested in the original series and the 60s era in particular. I grew up with the knowledge that there was an era of the show I'd never get chance to watch. To me it's a magical era, full of crazy ideas and weird worlds. Of course, I know it's also an era of ancient special effects, zero budget and make-do worlds set in quarries. But when rumours are rife that more missing episodes may have been found, well I get rather excited by that :)

I agree with most of what you say, although I grew up in the Eighties!

I am far more excited about Enemy and Web then the 50th anniversary because I new that would be a NuWho lovefest.

The worst thing they have done in NuWho is solving the regeneration quota and mucking about with it. In my mind I'm noy sure if Capaldi counts or if he does he is Doctor 12 out of 13!
  • Options
    Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    I don't entirely agree. I love Classic Who but it is not deeper than New Who. Both have their strengths and weaknesses but both overall are the same show.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm far more interested in the original series and the 60s era in particular. I grew up with the knowledge that there was an era of the show I'd never get chance to watch. To me it's a magical era, full of crazy ideas and weird worlds. Of course, I know it's also an era of ancient special effects, zero budget and make-do worlds set in quarries. But when rumours are rife that more missing episodes may have been found, well I get rather excited by that :)

I think what did it for me was the total disrespect that 5, 6 & 7 never got to appear in the anniversary special. All we got was some online comedy film that would have been better had they been in the actual story instead of it all being about Tennant coming back.
  • Options
    RooksRooks Posts: 9,101
    Forum Member
    Shawn_Lunn wrote: »
    I don't entirely agree. I love Classic Who but it is not deeper than New Who. Both have their strengths and weaknesses but both overall are the same show.
    I think what did it for me was the total disrespect that 5, 6 & 7 never got to appear in the anniversary special. All we got was some online comedy film that would have been better had they been in the actual story instead of it all being about Tennant coming back.

I didn't intend to take the thread off-topic, apologies. I guess without any real news on the ME front we tend to drift :)

New Who is absolutely what it needs to be in order to be popular, no debate from me on that, but it has no automatic right to my support simply because it's called Doctor Who.

I understood why they didn't have the older Doctors in the anniversary. The deeper issue for me was that it really didn't reference the 50 years of the show. Sure it had a classic monster but then so have many other New Who episodes. Yes it had some subtle references to Coal Hill School and Tom Bakers scarf. And a few other references too. All lovely touches but that episode never once felt to me like a celebration of 50 years.

Maybe that's why so many of us are so intrigued by the missing episodes saga. We love Classic Who and aren't getting our fix with New Who. The missing episodes are brand new Classic Who for a large part of the audience. I'm also a child of the 80s, I've never seen Marco Polo and if that was found it would be like they've just created a brand new story out of nowhere. They will never make a story like Marco again, TV just isn't like that anymore but with returned episodes it's like they did and just for us :)
  • Options
    lloys-strachanlloys-strachan Posts: 1,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Agree with this ^^^^^^^^.

Huge fan of Who since the early 70's and really enjoyed RTD reboot but the Moffat stuff with MS leaves me cold.
  • Options
    DiscoPDiscoP Posts: 5,931
    Forum Member
    I'm very sorry to say that I love both old and Nu Who (and actually can't see much difference between the two, once you get past the bells and whistles). Come to think of it I'm also more or less happy with both RTD and Moffat's era's of the show, so quite often I'm left wondering why I partake in forums at all...
  • Options
    JethrykJethryk Posts: 1,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DiscoP wrote: »
    I'm very sorry to say that I love both old and Nu Who (and actually can't see much difference between the two, once you get past the bells and whistles). Come to think of it I'm also more or less happy with both RTD and Moffat's era's of the show, so quite often I'm left wondering why I partake in forums at all...

Hey, what the hell's wrong with you? Stop being so damned reasonable! :)

I like both as it happens, prefer old as I watched as a kid and it had a certain magic which watching as an Adult the new show doesn't have. I do notice a difference between the two though and tend to think of them as different shows.

Wish we could get back on topic but I guess we'd need an announcement of sorts for that now.
  • Options
    sertonserton Posts: 730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is nobody mouthing off on twitter or on forums anywhere that can get us riled up over missing episodes?
  • Options
    bokononbokonon Posts: 2,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am sure that there is a load of nonsense spoken about missing episodes. But I invite forumites to look back at the posts which preceded the discover of Web and Enemy in which anybody who suggested that it might happen was treated as a gullible fool. But oddly enough not a single person issued a mea culpa afterwards.

On New v. Old Who I have said it before but repetitiveness never seems to hold back others: living in the past is not a virtue. I prefer the Smith and Moffat era but all of it has been good and it has definitely retained the flavour of the original show. In fact I am always a bit mystified as to which vital bits of the show are suppose to have been lost other than superfluities such as narrative padding and some awful special effects (alongside some good special effects of course).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bokonon wrote: »

On New v. Old Who I have said it before but repetitiveness never seems to hold back others: living in the past is not a virtue. I prefer the Smith and Moffat era but all of it has been good and it has definitely retained the flavour of the original show. In fact I am always a bit mystified as to which vital bits of the show are suppose to have been lost other than superfluities such as narrative padding and some awful special effects (alongside some good special effects of course).

There is nothing horribly wrong with the current revival of the show as a whole (although I have a skeleton's worth of bones to pick with Moffat), although the pace is usually a bit too frenetic for me. One of the reasons that I prefer the older stuff is that the pace was more my style. I was able to get to know characters better (especially secondary and even tertiary ones). It was much more of a story being told in that regard to me than the modern stuff which seems, way too often, to be in a "hurry up and get it done" mode. Especially when you don't have _any_ two parters in a season (Moffat). I like exposition. I like explanation. I like development. I like things that take a long time. I am probably in the minority on this, but it is all a matter of taste. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just found this and it had me laughing out loud. It's a song about Moffat called "Don't You Think He Looks Tired?". :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tX1MfRidNzg

"Have you ever asked yourself who's writing all the plot holes? And there are a lot of plot holes."
  • Options
    Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    DiscoP wrote: »

Because they're fun(ny)?:D
  • Options
    GDKGDK Posts: 9,477
    Forum Member
    There is nothing horribly wrong with the current revival of the show as a whole (although I have a skeleton's worth of bones to pick with Moffat), although the pace is usually a bit too frenetic for me. One of the reasons that I prefer the older stuff is that the pace was more my style. I was able to get to know characters better (especially secondary and even tertiary ones). It was much more of a story being told in that regard to me than the modern stuff which seems, way too often, to be in a "hurry up and get it done" mode. Especially when you don't have _any_ two parters in a season (Moffat). I like exposition. I like explanation. I like development. I like things that take a long time. I am probably in the minority on this, but it is all a matter of taste. :)

Not sure about minority, but I agree with your comments about the frenetic pace and lack of exposition and character and story development. Squeezing it all into 45 minutes of storytelling time does not work, except for the simplest of stories. There are many stories which could have benefited greatly from an extra 5 or 10 minutes (e.g. TPo3, VotD )(at the same time there are a few two parters which would have benefited from being much shorter (TRF/TAP)).
  • Options
    bokononbokonon Posts: 2,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Although we differ over Moffat's contribution as a whole I do take your point that the pacing is now just too frenetic. It has rather gone from the sublime to the corblimey.

But I ought to say something about lost episodes. It strikes me that that Web/Enemy discoveries are unlikely to be one-offs and the most likely pattern for the future is the very slow emergence of further material, which will on every occasion be preceded by scornful nay-saying.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 194
    Forum Member
    bokonon wrote: »
    I am sure that there is a load of nonsense spoken about missing episodes. But I invite forumites to look back at the posts which preceded the discover of Web and Enemy in which anybody who suggested that it might happen was treated as a gullible fool. But oddly enough not a single person issued a mea culpa afterwards.

I just had to laugh at this. Read through this thread, just the last few pages as I know it's a bit of a long and winding road, mostly paved with recyled sewerage. Now explain to us why anyone should take any claim about missing episodes seriously. ANY claim about missing episodes is to be treated with the utmost contempt at first reading. Respect has to be earned, especially with the track record these claims have.

If you want apologies for doubting claims about missing episodes, you'll still be there when Doctor 9 is chatting up trees.