Samsung TVs reliability

2»

Comments

• roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Then you have zero recourse from SOGA :D

Pretty silly buying from Comet though, as it was obvious they were going bust :p

"Obvious" to who, exactly.?
  • emptyboxemptybox Posts: 13,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Then you have zero recourse from SOGA :D

Pretty silly buying from Comet though, as it was obvious they were going bust :p

Was it obvious in September 2009? I certainly wasn't aware of it, as far as I remember.

At the time there was a Comet and a Currys in the town, and I just bought from either/or, depending on who had what in, and at what price.
    I didn't think one was failing and the other wasn't.
    A couple of years later Yes. It was obvious that Comet was running down. But not in 2009, as far as I recall?

Does this SOGA have any teeth? Especially if the onus is on the buyer to prove their case.
    IMO it would be better if they made longer warranties mandatory for various types of equipment. 5 years for televisions, 3 years for a set-top box, etc.
  • albertdalbertd Posts: 14,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for all the thoughts on different brands and warranty issues. I have ended up with a Panasonic which I was able to get home OK from the local Panny store and which has their own 5yr warranty.

Not yet set up, so I cannot comment on it but I have had one of their DVD Recorders for some years and have been very pleased with it.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,453
    Forum Member
    emptybox wrote: »
    IMO it would be better if they made longer warranties mandatory for various types of equipment. 5 years for televisions, 3 years for a set-top box, etc.

Which would increase all prices substantially - why not just buy an extended warranty if you want to do that?.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    There seems to be two major problems with the LED Lottery.

1. Is the capacitors.
    2. Is banding.

If you are going to get one of these problems it seems to happen randomly, although sometimes a batch may have the same fault, such as if it is due to a faulty batch of capacitors.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Snag with Pannys own 5 yr Gtee is that its not transferable to a second owner so you cant use it as a selling point.
  • albertdalbertd Posts: 14,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    roddydogs wrote: »
    Snag with Pannys own 5 yr Gtee is that its not transferable to a second owner so you cant use it as a selling point.
    Not a problem as far as I am concerned. We don't go in for selling things on, we use them until they finally break down for good.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,453
    Forum Member

Not a problem, simply keep the guarantee details in the original name and address :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So your advocating" Fraud"? really!. & the address will be different, wont it.
  • Mike_1101Mike_1101 Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    I don't know how many CRT sets Samsung sold in this country but the British Heart Foundation shops in Lancashire seem to sell plenty of second hand ones. They switch them on and don't sell any with grotty pictures. Prices around £35 to £50 for the larger ones.

They even had a 28" widescreen B&O set in their Southport shop the other week for £200 and they told me any B&O sets that come in sell the same day.

They also had a huge widescreen 32" Panasonic for £55 and it worked perfectly, I wonder how much it cost when new?

I still have a 25" Sony upstairs, made in 1992 and still working with a freeview box.
  • 1Mickey1Mickey Posts: 10,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    albertd wrote: »
    I have previously had two Samsung products, a DVD recorder and a mobile phone, neither of which proved to be very reliable. Now I am looking at the spec of a Samsung Smart TV which seems to be what I want but I ask myself the question about reliability based on that previous poor experience.

Does anyone have any comments, good or bad, about the reliaibility of modern Samsung TVs?

I've got 2 Samsung TVs and I can't fault either so far but they're only 1 an 2 years old. Before the newer one I had a Panasonic Viera LCD but the sockets kept malfunctioning and after 3 years of problems John Lewis decided it was costing them too much to replace and gave me my money back so I got one of these

http://www.johnlewis.com/samsung-ue40f5500-led-hd-1080p-smart-tv-40-with-freeview-hd/p587837

Its a lovely tv, I can't fault it. I've never had a web browser on a tv before and its surprisingly good. The processor is faster than my laptop, which was £50 more expensive.
    Forum Member
    Not sure when Samsung started making TVs but I wonder if they ever made anything like this?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1k37IlRztY
    State of the art in 1958:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mike_1101 wrote: »
    I don't know how many CRT sets Samsung sold in this country but the British Heart Foundation shops in Lancashire seem to sell plenty of second hand ones. They switch them on and don't sell any with grotty pictures. Prices around £35 to £50 for the larger ones.

They even had a 28" widescreen B&O set in their Southport shop the other week for £200 and they told me any B&O sets that come in sell the same day.

They also had a huge widescreen 32" Panasonic for £55 and it worked perfectly, I wonder how much it cost when new?

I still have a 25" Sony upstairs, made in 1992 and still working with a freeview box.

Dont know how they sell at those prices, you can get these free on Freecycle or Gumtree. I recently sold a 50" Panny Flatscreen Full HD, cost over £1200, 4 yrs old perfect, all i got was £220 on Fleabay.
    Forum Member
    Dont know how they sell at those prices, you can get these free on Freecycle or Gumtree. I recently sold a 50" Panny Flatscreen Full HD, cost over £1200, 4 yrs old perfect, all i got was £220 on Fleabay.

They are charity shops remember. Why did you sell your set if it was "perfect"?
  • anthony davidanthony david Posts: 14,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

British Heart Foundation in Sale Cheshire take in TV's, must have remote control, and other electrical goods. They have a loading bay that you can drive your car up to as well. It's a wonderful charity, please support it.
  • Mark CMark C Posts: 20,893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure when Samsung started making TVs but I wonder if they ever made anything like this?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1k37IlRztY
    State of the art in 1958:D

Nice 'Egg' in the centre of that screen ;-)

Thank goodness linearity problems are a thing of the past thanks to flat screens !
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Cause I wanted a 60" smart/3D set , dont mind do you?.
    No one denying its a good cause, but why would anyone buy a CRT they can get for nowt?
  • SteveMcKSteveMcK Posts: 5,457
    Forum Member
    why would anyone buy a CRT they can get for nowt?
    To support a charity?
  • MartinPickeringMartinPickering Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I fixed a Samsung TV last year. Really easy!
    http://www.satcure.co.uk/reviews/satcure_blog_171.htm#samsung
    Shop would have charged hundreds.