Jade goody was NOT popular with the public

freesatfanfreesatfan Posts: 1,796
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Lets dispel this ridiculous myth that Jade Goody was popular and had "captured the hearts of the nation", as many papers have put it.

This woman came FOURTH in Big Brother. Then 2 years later at the height of her fame she came FOURTH in Back to Reality. Then in 2007 she was voted off CBB with 87% of the vote.

People are talking about comparisons with Diana. In Back To Reality, Jade was beaten in the public vote by James "love rat" Hewitt. The man who broke Dianas heart was more popular than Jade!

Lets face it, Jades fans are in a very small minority.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 244
    Forum Member
    But people still brought magazines she was in, watched her shows and brought her perfume so some people out there must've liked her.
  • freesatfanfreesatfan Posts: 1,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But people still brought magazines she was in, watched her shows and brought her perfume so some people out there must've liked her.

Im not claiming she didnt have fans. She did. But she was nowhere near as popular as people make out.

In Back To Reality she was beaten by Craig, James Hewitt and Maureen from driving school.

I dont think you can necessarily call people who buy magazines "fans". Some people buy them to read about people out of morbid fascination.
  • WaynettaSlobWaynettaSlob Posts: 233
    Forum Member
    So we are forgetting the show that she won then are we ?

What next ? a new thread saying that Jade Goody is the most hated person with 9 letters in their name to have died in the last week ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 203
    Forum Member
    You've just posted this

'Can't you just let it go? The woman is dead. '

in another thread. Rather hypocritical of you, don't you think?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So we are forgetting the show that she won then are we ?

What next ? a new thread saying that Jade Goody is the most hated person with 9 letters in their name to have died in the last week ?

What show did she win?
  • asyousayasyousay Posts: 38,838
    Forum Member
    Im guessing the show she won was " the worlds biggest media who*e"
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone know which show Jade is supposed to have won?
  • DistractionDistraction Posts: 294
    Forum Member
    freesatfan wrote: »
    Does anyone know which show Jade is supposed to have won?

One thing she never won was the respect of people with an IQ above the national average.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still waiting for the name of the show that jade won. Or was a jade fan telling porkies again? Quelle suprise!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One thing she never won was the respect of people with an IQ above the national average.

Hold on didnt she win the marathon? Oops I remember now....:D
  • skunkboy69skunkboy69 Posts: 9,506
    Forum Member
    She was certainly not as popular as has been made out in the media this last week.Is this grieving going to last much longer ?
    Forum Member
    Does anyone know ? Is Google broken ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    The media made out she was popular so that it would sell papers, but im sure all of us with common sense knew that.

How many more new threads are going to be made about Jade?
  • garyessexgaryessex Posts: 9,083
    Forum Member
    Its hard to deny her popularity, Magazine sales have gone up and her wedding on Living was watched by 920,000, (compared to Livings usual 200k top audience)

However, the girl is dead so WHO CARES? what can she or us possibly do about her popularity of lack of it now?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stars in their eyes was the show she won
  • Gemski08Gemski08 Posts: 6,256
    Forum Member
    Sweex wrote: »
    The media made out she was popular so that it would sell papers, but im sure all of us with common sense knew that.

How many more new threads are going to be made about Jade?

Hooraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay:D
  • Gemski08Gemski08 Posts: 6,256
    Forum Member
    garyessex wrote: »
    Its hard to deny her popularity, Magazine sales have gone up and her wedding on Living was watched by 920,000, (compared to Livings usual 200k top audience)

However, the girl is dead so WHO CARES? what can she or us possibly do about her popularity of lack of it now?

LOL Yep:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't know about google but certainly some one is broke on here.:)
  • charlie1charlie1 Posts: 10,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Universally the public may not have liked her (me included)

But I would like to think that a young person losing her life at the age of only 27 is tragic, and I think that she was incredibly brave.

Facing death she must have had truly dark thoughts, but imo she faced them with courage. Being in the public spotlight helped her I think to deal with her impending death because it distracted her.

I have expressed sorrow at Wendy Richard's passing. I feel for anybody who has lost their lives when their time wasn't meant to be up.

All the money in the world that has been raised (or whatever you want to call it!) for her children can't compensate for their mum not being there.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    She was pretty popular for quite a while, up until she went on Celebrity Big Brother. Then a fair few people turned against her.

At the end of the day, she's dead. She tried in her final months to get as much money out of being Jade as possible and well done to her for that.

I've tried to avoid posting on Jade threads and have even been posting on the Guardian website rather than here, because I was sick of the Jade threads. Let's just leave it now shall we?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I guess the thing with Jade was that she was popular with some and unpopular with others. I won't be hypocritical and rush to say I was a massive fan because I wasn't. I thought she was alright. She irritated me and made me laugh in equal measure the first time round on Big Brother. And I felt very sorry for her the second time because while I didn't think she was very nice to Shilpa Shetty, I thought she was branded with an awful label she didn't deserve. It does annoy me, however that many of the people who turned her into a national hate figure at that time are probably right now queuing up to sign a book of condolence and light a candle. That's possibly a little hypocritical but hey, who knows what can happen in a couple of years to give people a change of heart?

At the end of the day, Jade Goody was a reality TV star. I feel very sad that she has died. Not because she was famous but because she was a woman only two years older than myself who died of cancer and left two young kids behind. I feel sad because she is a representation of millions of people who die of this terrible disease every day. My own father has cancer and I am part of a family who is desperately awaiting an operation which will hopefully cure him next week. Whatever Jade may or may not have been, her death is sad, as are the deaths of all the unknown people we don't hear about because they didn't get onto Big brother or a similar show. And if we're grieving for her, we should grieve for them too.

The nation is at risk of turning into a circus, which is a shame. But if that's the case then the one thing we shouldn't forget in all of it is that whether she was media hungry or not, Jade did die with a mission. Alongside setting up a future for her children, she also very bravely highlighted the issue of cervical cancer. Like it or not, it's people like her that the public pay attention to. She did raise awareness before she died. She did nag for the testing age to be lowered. The amount of women coming forward for cervical smears did go up. She did walk around with her head held high. And she was brave. She was dignified. And that shouldn't be taken away from her. Or any other person that we would only ever have known personally but who did their bit to touch people's lives somehow.
    Forum Member
    meeru wrote: »
    Stars in their eyes was the show she won

Yep, And there you have conclusive proof that she had very little talent and not the no talent at all like some claim ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have just seen the stupid OK advert "A nation is in mourning" No it's bloody not!
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    82%, not 87 :o

Anyway you can't deny her fans. Just look at Living viewing figures and OK sales to see that. But that doesn't mean everyone loves her. I know its a cliched analogy but she actually was marmite on legs.
    Forum Member
    I have just seen the stupid OK advert "A nation is in mourning" No it's bloody not!

Does it say what nation ?