Is my TV 1080p (Confused!)?

Comments

• Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,506
    Forum Member
    Like bobcar says, it's just an HD Ready TV - TV's themselves are neither i or P - they don't work in that way (only CRT's ever did).
  • grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh, so its what, 768p?

720P is not a screen size it's a broadcast standard just like 1080i is and can be displayed on any HD ready or Full HD display. The TV rescales the signal whatever the source to the screen pixel count.

eg 480i, 480p, 576i (could be 544 x 576, 704 x 576 or 720 x 576), 576p, 720p, 1080i (1440 x 1080 or 1920 x 1080) would all finish up at 1920 x 1080 pixels if displayed on a 1920 x 1080 panel or in your case 1365 x 768 pixels
  • CUP OF TEAAA!CUP OF TEAAA! Posts: 4,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have the same Tv. Can someone confirm, is it 720p? After reading this thread I feel majorly depressed! I thought it was 1080p but now I find out it's probably 720p??? I'm so sad...:cry:

Is there a major difference between 720p and 1080p? Trying to make myself feel better...
    Forum Member
    I have the same Tv. Can someone confirm, is it 720p? After reading this thread I feel majorly depressed! I thought it was 1080p but now I find out it's probably 720p??? I'm so sad...:cry:

Is there a major difference between 720p and 1080p? Trying to make myself feel better...

As this thread has explained repeatedly - it's NOT a 720P TV - 720P is a broadcast standard (not even used in this country).

So there's no such thing as a '720P TV' (or a 1080P one) - this set has a resolution of 768 pixels (not i and not P - they don't apply), and will display both 720P and 1080i pictures - it 'might' display 1080P as well, some HD Ready sets will, some won't (it's not an HD Ready requirement).

A good HD Ready set will have a far better picture than a poor Full HD set, so I wouldn't worry.

We had a 'wall' of all Sony models running the same HD programme - I couldn't have picked out which was Full HD and which was 'only' HD Ready. The difference is really very unimportant.
  • pocatellopocatello Posts: 8,813
    Forum Member
    1366 x 768 = 720p ish resolution.
    In common speech it is perfectly fine to call a tv a 720p if one is simply making it clear that it has a native resolution closer to that than 1080p. Of course it will take any signal and scale it to fit, that is a given, but fundamentally it is a 720p display.

Whats the difference? Half the resolution of 1080p. Still 3x better than SD, so its not nothing, but if one is asking is it the same? No, it isn't, but at most viewing distance and display size the difference becomes less than noticable, size for instance is more important than resolution for any affordable tv, it doesn't matter if that image is pin sharp if sitting 6-8 feet away your 42" only produces an image 15" tall when displaying a 2.35 aspect movie...just tiny.

720p becomes a problem with projectors.

Also, game systems render at 720p or lower, even if they can upscale to 1080p, the 5 year old hardware can't internally be bothered to really do that for most games.. With 512mb shared memory they can't do that much texture detail to begin with, so it isn't a big deal.

This isn't such a big deal anymore, pretty much all mid range and higher plasma these days are native 1080p. Only the lowest models have 720p native, but as I said, better to 720p than to downsize to fit your budget.
    Forum Member
    pocatello wrote: »
    1366 x 768 = 720p ish resolution.
    In common speech it is perfectly fine to call a tv a 720p if one is simply making it clear that it has a native resolution closer to that than 1080p. Of course it will take any signal and scale it to fit, that is a given, but fundamentally it is a 720p display.

768 isn't 720, i & P don't apply to a display, so calling a TV '720P' is wrong on all counts and completely misleading.

Fundamentally it ISN'T a 720p display, and such things don't even exist.
  • David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    why wont people accept the truth? Whats going on?

As the other posts said, true 720P sets were very rare. Nearly all have been able to take a 1080i signal. Our ones are HD Ready with a vertical res of 768, but this doesnt limit them to 720p - we use them in 1080i mode nearly all the time. 768 refers to the pixels, while 720P (and 1080i + 1080p) refer to the input signal (be from Bluray or broadcast tv).

Sounds like the same thing as with the case of "digital aerials";). If you say it long enough it becomes the truth......

lets begin the chant....
    digital aerials, digital aerials, digital aerials, digital aerials, digital aerials...
    Forum Member
    768 isn't 720, i & P don't apply to a display, so calling a TV '720P' is wrong on all counts and completely misleading.

Sorry, this is just inconsequential trivia.

Fact of the matter is that such tv's are only basically 720p resolution in total detail rendering.

You are nitpicking when it doesn't matter.
    Forum Member
    Sorry, this is just inconsequential trivia.

Fact of the matter is that such tv's are only basically 720p resolution in total detail rendering.

You are nitpicking when it doesn't matter.

Why be 100% incorrect like you are? - it's not helping anyone, and just causing confusion.

Pretending there's such a thing as "720P TV's" just makes people think they can only watch 720P on it.
  • Deacon1972Deacon1972 Posts: 8,171
    Forum Member

My pj has a native resolution of 720 (1280x720), so technically it could be described as a 720 display, but I know it is described as HD ready and I understand the HD ready standard. I know it can accept a 1080 signal but it will only show 720 lines of information, rightly/wrongly to me I class this as a 720 display because that's all it can display.
  • njpnjp Posts: 27,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why be 100% incorrect like you are? - it's not helping anyone, and just causing confusion.
    I've got my popcorn ready, and I'm just waiting to see which of you will call the other a troll first...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

In terms of quality 720p (1280 x 720 50 frames/second) is broadly equivalent in picture quality to 1080i (1920 x 1080 (or 1440 x 1080) interlaced at 25 frames/second). The extra frame rate makes up for the extra resolution. This applies whether you watch the video on a 768 line or a 1080 line display. (any difference in quality is minimal. A good 768 line display will give better pictures than a poor 1080 line display

1080p on it's own is meaningless without a frame rate.

1080p 24fps is standard on blu-rays, some Freeview-HD is 1080p25 (you can't see any difference when they switch from 1080i to 1080p).

Some camcorders can record 1080p50, even blu-ray doesn't support 1080p50 .

NIgels already said He can't tell which displays are 768 or 1080 lines. My son has a 40" 768 line Sony his pictures look just as good as my Full HD set.

All Freeview_HD and BBC HD services on satellite is 1440 x 1080 so you could argue a 768 line is a better match for 1080i's vertical resolution :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm so flipping confused :o
    My first time on this forum and it's this difficult to get a simple answer?! Unfortunately for me, I have many other questions, but I am afraid to ask them incase I use the incorrect terminology!!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm so flipping confused :o
    My first time on this forum and it's this difficult to get a simple answer?! Unfortunately for me, I have many other questions, but I am afraid to ask them incase I use the incorrect terminology!!!

It's simple really.

The TV is displaying it's getting a 1080P signal most likely 1080p60 if from a games console. It's scaling down the signal to fit the screen. There is no point in displaying what you see on the screen as it's always the same whatever the input signal.

The TV takes the 1920 horizontal pixels and reduces them to 1365, it takes the 1080 vertical pixels and reduces them to 768 pixels. It tells you on the screen what you are sending it not what you are seeing. .

If you send it a standard 720 x 576 SD signal. The screen will say 576i. It takes the 720 horizontal pixels and increases them to 1365. It takes the 576 vertical pixels and increases them to 765 pixels.

The process is known as scaling. Case 1 is downscaling, Case 2 is upscaling.

Can your TV show a 1080p signal - YES

Can it show every Pixel in the transmission - NO
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's simple really.

The TV is displaying it's getting a 1080P signal most likely 1080p60 if from a games console. It's scaling down the signal to fit the screen. There is no point in displaying what you see on the screen as it's always the same whatever the input signal.

The TV takes the 1920 horizontal pixels and reduces them to 1365, it takes the 1080 vertical pixels and reduces them to 768 pixels. It tells you on the screen what you are sending it not what you are seeing. .

If you send it a standard 720 x 576 SD signal. The screen will say 576i. It takes the 720 horizontal pixels and increases them to 1365. It takes the 576 vertical pixels and increases them to 765 pixels.

The process is known as scaling. Case 1 is downscaling, Case 2 is upscaling.

Ah, I think I get it. So the tv cannot display a proper 1920x1080 or whatever it is (1080p) picture, without downscaling it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So that would mean, even a non HD tv can receive a 1080p signal and display it, but it will be downscaled, right?
  • RoushRoush Posts: 4,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So that would mean, even a non HD tv can receive a 1080p signal and display it, but it will be downscaled, right?

No, older non-HD TVs are not able to process HD signals.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Roush wrote: »
    No, older non-HD TVs are not able to process HD signals.

oh silly me!
    Forum Member

And most of the older HDTV's can't display 1080P, even the Full HD ones - the HD Ready logo guarantees they will be able to display 720P and 1080i signals (scaling both as and if required).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

HD requires either

A Component connection (analogue) nearly always missing from HD sources (you can copy it :D)

Or a digital connection (HDMI or DVI)

Plus the circuitry to scale the input to match the screen. SD TV's don't have the capability.

You are half right though because HD kit has SD outputs which downscale the source to SD. You can use your X Box 360 with a SD TV even though the games might be 1080P by simply using a analogue connection.

Say you had a Freeview-HD box and a SD CRT Tv with a scart socket. You could watch say BBC-HD on the CRT over the scart connection. IT won't be HD of course but it will be pretty good SD :D
  • David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    .....ditto....my mate had an Xbox360 while still owning a giant size CRT - just viewed the games in SD quality.

Apart from the Scart, you can also downscale HD to SD on digital outputs (hdmi + dvi) by selecting the target res on the source device. I can for example, on our FreesatHD box choose 576i (SD)....and the output signal wether it be HD or SD in origin is pushed up the hdmi at 576i SD.
    Forum Member

Pretending there's such a thing as "720P TV's" just makes people think they can only watch 720P on it.

In common parlance anyone who knows anything knows what is being talked about.

You don't seem to understand how little this matters, your correctness doesn't seem to be based on anything. In adverts tv's are sold as either 1080p or 720p.

http://www.amazon.com/Magnavox-26MD301B-F7-26-Inch-Combo/dp/B004UAG3QG

So what were you saying?
    Forum Member

You don't seem to understand how little this matters, your correctness doesn't seem to be based on anything. In adverts tv's are sold as either 1080p or 720p.

So what were you saying?

So you found one non-UK advert that's completely incorrect, you need to ignore anything from America as they consider upscaled SD as perfectly acceptable HD (with many 'HD' channels never broadcasting a single HD programme).
    Forum Member
    So you found one non-UK advert that's completely incorrect, you need to ignore anything from America as they consider upscaled SD as perfectly acceptable HD (with many 'HD' channels never broadcasting a single HD programme).

I found one with minimal effort, I showed you the first one, you can find countless others if you cared to learn something. You see these all the time, it is standard terminology in advertisement of hdtv. If you are arguing about "rightness", I'm sorry, I don't care if it is a us website, 300 million vs 60 million kind of says I'm right and you are in the minority.

Sorry, no, america doesn't have a lower definition of hd, sd is not perfect acceptable hd in america, it is simply what it is, sd broadcasting. The vast quantity of HD broadcasting in american simply dwarfs that of what is found in the uk, add the back catalog of all the shows shot in HD over the years when the uk was still SD and you are even further behind. You have a very skewed idea of what exists in america, HD broadcasting is many years older and loads of content on HD channels is true HD. Your information is out of date or based on ignorance.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

So what were you saying?

They sell aerials in boxes at B&Q saying it's a digital aerial (even seen one marked HD Ready). Selling tV's as 720p is equally wrong.