Russell - credit where credit is due

Linda_DeanLinda_Dean Posts: 748
Forum Member
✭✭
Yes, he is gloriously camp, fun and infectious to watch. Whilst he is dancing I smile and laugh – in a good way. I find myself shouting at the TV when he is on, saying things like 'awww excellent', or 'flipping brilliant'. Yes, he is the 'comedy act' this year.

BUT – I wish they would give him credit for his actual dancing, which was ok-ish and has improved week upon week. No, he is not a 'great' dancer, and has a 'lightness' about his dancing technique that doesn't suit all dances, but the man can definitely dance - unlike other 'comedy acts'. He can move, he doesn't looked laboured, has good rhythm and is mostly clean in his movement and finish (though he could be a tad sharper).

I wish the judges would give credit where credit is due.

Comments

• TerryM22TerryM22 Posts: 19,463
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Linda_Dean wrote: »
    Yes, he is gloriously camp, fun and infectious to watch. Whilst he is dancing I smile and laugh – in a good way. I find myself shouting at the TV when he is on, saying things like 'awww excellent', or 'flipping brilliant'. Yes, he is the 'comedy act' this year.

BUT – I wish they would give him credit for his actual dancing, which was ok-ish and has improved week upon week. No, he is not a 'great' dancer, and has a 'lightness' about his dancing technique that doesn't suit all dances, but the man can definitely dance - unlike other 'comedy acts'. He can move, he doesn't looked laboured, has good rhythm and is mostly clean in his movement and finish (though he could be a tad sharper).

This is a very good point, your quite right Russell doesn't get enough credit for his dancing from the judges which is very unfair.
  • scarlottiscarlotti Posts: 1,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I felt that tonight they probably did rate him to a large extent on his dancing - I say probably as the scores tonight seemed, to me, to be all over the place!
  • DancesWithKatsDancesWithKats Posts: 417
    Forum Member
    Linda_Dean wrote: »

I totally agree with everything you've said Linda_Dean. Bravo Russell.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,304
    Forum Member
    The judges realise he's a bit cack but they don't want to create another martyr, A.K.A. John Sergeant and pretend they find him strangely appealing until he wafts from view.
  • tenchgirltenchgirl Posts: 11,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He looked like Boss Hogg in that white suit but I think hes great, hes very light on his feet, attempts to learn his routines, always dances with must gusto, is positive and is having the time of his life and is great to watch.

Flav looks like shes having a great time as well. Theres much worse than Russell and I dont think he should have been as low down the score board as he was yesterday. personally i think hes better than Anita he wont win it but hes far from the worst.
  • CloneClownCloneClown Posts: 6,296
    Forum Member
    I don't see him as a comedy act at all because he is willing to learn and attempt the steps so is taking it seriously. All of his dances have included recognisable steps which is what I want to see - no matter how basic the routine needs to be for the celeb. Any of his dances out do the Jive that Harry did.
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tenchgirl wrote: »
    He looked like Boss Hogg in that white suit but I think hes great, hes very light on his feet, attempts to learn his routines, always dances with must gusto, is positive and is having the time of his life and is great to watch.

Flav looks like shes having a great time as well. Theres much worse than Russell and I dont think he should have been as low down the score board as he was yesterday. personally i think hes better than Anita he wont win it but hes far from the worst.

Russell was added as "one of the supporting cast" to provide some light entertainment, he's doing a good job at that, he won't last out November, but the show would be the lesser for some without him at the moment.

It was OK for a couple of weeks, but I'm tired of his constant "showboating" already.
  • TerryM22TerryM22 Posts: 19,463
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I totally agree with everything you've said Linda_Dean. Bravo Russell.

Bravo Russell indeed.
  • grunsongrunson Posts: 390
    Forum Member
    Russell certainly shouldn't be put into the same category as previous 'comedy' contestants like John Sargeant and Anne Widdecombe who seemed to play on not being very good. Russell looks like he is really putting the hours in, he is doing recognisable dances, he knows his routines and most of all he seems to be having a glorious time. His dancing might be lacking in the techniques required when judged against the gold standards for the dances but you feel he is actually taking it as seriously as anyone.

There may come a time when you have to say having a good go and being fun shouldn't be enough to keep him in the competition at the expense of other contestants, but to my eyes Nancy and Lulu are genuinely worse dancers than Russell, and although Audley and Rory are a step above those two I wouldn't have a problem with Russell outlasting them. Except that...

My only concern is that the production team don't seem to know how to leave well alone. Russell is naturally camp, he doesn't need silly props and costumes to try and exaggerate it. He doesn't need to be put forward as a 'comedy act', there is an natural joy to his dancing. Their heavy handedness risks turning something fun into a contrived joke that outstays its welcome.
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grunson wrote: »
    Russell certainly shouldn't be put into the same category as previous 'comedy' contestants like John Sargeant and Anne Widdecombe who seemed to play on not being very good. Russell looks like he is really putting the hours in, he is doing recognisable dances, he knows his routines and most of all he seems to be having a glorious time. His dancing might be lacking in the techniques required when judged against the gold standards for the dances but you feel he is actually taking it as seriously as anyone.

There may come a time when you have to say having a good go and being fun shouldn't be enough to keep him in the competition at the expense of other contestants, but to my eyes Nancy and Lulu are genuinely worse dancers than Russell, and although Audley and Rory are a step above those two I wouldn't have a problem with Russell outlasting them. Except that...

My only concern is that the production team don't seem to know how to leave well alone. Russell is naturally camp, he doesn't need silly props and costumes to try and exaggerate it. He doesn't need to be put forward as a 'comedy act', there is an natural joy to his dancing. Their heavy handedness risks turning something fun into a contrived joke that outstays its welcome.

I think you're missing the point, until he got the chance to appear in this programme, Russell was "in the wilderness." I'd guess the majority of viewers of this programme had either never heard of him, (unless they were into astrology) or practically forgotten about him.
    This is a big opportunity for him to get noticed again and possibly revive a flagging career. He's milking it for all he's worth and who can blame him?
    Don't lay all the blame at the door of the show's producers.
  • Dilly 1Dilly 1 Posts: 39,906
    Forum Member
    I love having him and Flav on the show, and look forward to them the most of anyone each week.:)
    He is taking it very seriously and learning proper routines with proper steps and putting in long hours just like everyone else is! I really don't think he will win, but I do think when there are still so many contestants and so many weeks to go, that it would be a much poorer show without him and Flav.
  • oulandyoulandy Posts: 18,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been thinking, to my surprise really, that Russell seems more of a natural dancer than many of the celebs we see on this programme and that he has potential to become very good indeed. Given his size and girth, it is all the more surprising to find a lightness and grace about his movements that some of the others could well do with.
  • LilySueLilySue Posts: 121
    Forum Member
    I'm really pleasantly surprised by Russell. As others have said, he is light on his feet, knows his routines and brings joy to others with his dancing. And I'll willingly accept some of the incredible campness just because of how happy Flavia looks this series
  • TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member
    Dilly 1 wrote: »
    I love having him and Flav on the show, and look forward to them the most of anyone each week.:)
    He is taking it very seriously and learning proper routines with proper steps and putting in long hours just like everyone else is! I really don't think he will win, but I do think when there are still so many contestants and so many weeks to go, that it would be a much poorer show without him and Flav.

My thoughts exactly he has been a pleasant suprise he is actually my fave celeb on it at the moment, i wouldn't want him to win but think with the time and effort he is putting in and the performances there is no reason he shouldn't go quite far