Options

Can we make 30?

elenaelena Posts: 14,359
Forum Member
✭✭
I don't know what chances we have left.. But is it possible we could get 30 golds!?

I wouldn't be despondent if we didn't.. No matter what happens from here on in our performance has been stratospheric.. But 30.. That's getting into US/China/Soviet Union territory :eek: :D

Comments

• Options
    alexjones50alexjones50 Posts: 3,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it's possible, but a long shot I think.
  • Options
    iris beaconiris beacon Posts: 387
    Forum Member
    elena wrote: »
    I don't know what chances we have left.. But is it possible we could get 30 golds!?

I wouldn't be despondent if we didn't.. No matter what happens from here on in our performance has been stratospheric.. But 30.. That's getting into US/China/Soviet Union territory :eek: :D

We'd already have 30 if the near-misses who got silver or bronze had hit.
  • Options
    Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,389
    Forum Member
    Do we have any serious gold contenders in the remaining sports?
  • Options
    Dare_AllanDare_Allan Posts: 2,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We'd already have 30 if the near-misses who got silver or bronze had hit.

Actually that's very true.

The vast majority of our Gold Medal performances have been very very convincing, winning by a considerable margin (a few exceptions in sailing and equestrianism excepted).

Meanwhile just the slightest bit of luck (or another day) would have given golds to those scullers, tweddle, smith, cavendish, pendleton x2, Jamieson, any of the individual show jumpers (still cant get over not one could maintain even a medal), womens football and maybe a few others.

Although I doubt anything could have got our underperforming mens and womens hockey failures or mens footballers to perform where they could be.

Still another 6 to 9 golds is very very achievable - that means we should be expecting 31 to 34 golds as the final tally.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 56
    Forum Member

Hopefully Shanaze Reade :)
  • Options
    Dare_AllanDare_Allan Posts: 2,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My post in another thread :-

Four boxers at the semi final stage.
    Shanaze Reade in Womens BMX
    Mo Farrah in the Mens 5k
    Womens 470 Sailing

Outside bets
    Tom Daley in the Mens 10m Platform
    Liam Phillips in the Mens BMX
    Mens 470 Sailing
    Sarah Stevenson Taekwondo 67kg women
    Lutalo Mohammed Taekwondo 80kg men
    Mens 4x400m relay

I have no idea about the 4 remaining Flatwater canoeing events or the Modern Pentathlon. I think the Canoeing we are SoL but in Pentathlon their medal target is 1-2 and there's only two medals, historically we've done well so I suspect we have a chance in both mens and womens

So I make that 7 good chances of Gold, 6 outside chances of Gold plus however the Pentathlon pans out.
  • Options
    jonnyinscotlandjonnyinscotland Posts: 999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Mo Farrah - 5K
    Shanaze Reade - BMX
    Women's Sailing 470 already guaranteed medal and good chance of gold
    Boxers guaranteed bronze - presumably some serious contenders there
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dare_Allan wrote: »
    Actually that's very true.

The vast majority of our Gold Medal performances have been very very convincing, winning by a considerable margin (a few exceptions in sailing and equestrianism excepted).

Meanwhile just the slightest bit of luck (or another day) would have given golds to those scullers, tweddle, smith, cavendish, pendleton x2, Jamieson, any of the individual show jumpers (still cant get over not one could maintain even a medal), womens football and maybe a few others.

Although I doubt anything could have got our underperforming mens and womens hockey failures or mens footballers to perform where they could be.

Still another 6 to 9 golds is very very achievable - that means we should be expecting 31 to 34 golds as the final tally.

9 you say?

I just saw your post with the list of events, and yes on paper it looks possible. Difficult for everything to go right on the day, but still doable.
  • Options
    DynopiaDynopia Posts: 1,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    30 Gold and 70+ overall would be ... just amazing.

Tomorrow alone has many gold hopes - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/19200494
  • Options
    DiggingHeavsDiggingHeavs Posts: 227
    Forum Member
    It's possible, I'm not hanging my hopes on anything yet but whatever the tally it will *not* end up being counted as disappointing, I'm sure of that, we're at the 25 gold stage. We've already far outpaced Bejing, which was already the best GB had done in recent history.

Yes there have been "Certainties or Big Hopes" that disappointed that always happens to every country, not to mention "oh but for a fraction of a wobble........" but we've also done unexpectedly amazingly in several events. Most recent Champion Jade Jones anyone?
  • Options
    Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,389
    Forum Member
    We Will Prevail
  • Options
    VideostarVideostar Posts: 14,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    savsg wrote: »
    Hopefully Shanaze Reade :)

Hmmm, BMX is a hit and miss event, she could easily get thrown off her bkie than win...but Im hoping she wins.
  • Options
    iris beaconiris beacon Posts: 387
    Forum Member
    It's possible, I'm not hanging my hopes on anything yet but whatever the tally it will *not* end up being counted as disappointing, I'm sure of that, we're at the 25 gold stage. We've already far outpaced Bejing, which was already the best GB had done in recent history.

Yes there have been "Certainties or Big Hopes" that disappointed that always happens to every country, not to mention "oh but for a fraction of a wobble........" but we've also done unexpectedly amazingly in several events. Most recent Champion Jade Jones anyone?

Yeah. Quite a few golds have been pleasant surprises - Jade Jones, Nicola Adams, Greg Rutherford, Copeland & Hosking, Peter Wilson, the dressage and team showjumping peeps to name but a few.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm surprised to see Ed McKeever being omitted from people's predictions, he's the hot favourite to take gold in his kayaking event.

I think 30 is definitely do-able, but a bit of a stretch if I'm being honest. Realistically I'm gonna go for 2-3 medals max. Then again we may have some more Jade Jones moments, before today I hadn't even heard of her and then she topples the top 2 seeds to win gold, literally coming out of nowhere :eek:
  • Options
    TheFridgeTheFridge Posts: 4,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People keep forgetting Lisa Dobrisky , she looks in great nick.

She only missed out on being World Champion by 1/100th of a second a few years ago and looks to of finally got back to that level after injury struggles , theres a chance here for her hopefully she grabs it.
  • Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My post in another thread :-

Four boxers at the semi final stage.
    Shanaze Reade in Womens BMX
    Mo Farrah in the Mens 5k
    Womens 470 Sailing

Outside bets
    Tom Daley in the Mens 10m Platform
    Liam Phillips in the Mens BMX
    Mens 470 Sailing
    Sarah Stevenson Taekwondo 67kg women
    Lutalo Mohammed Taekwondo 80kg men
    Mens 4x400m relay

I have no idea about the 4 remaining Flatwater canoeing events or the Modern Pentathlon. I think the Canoeing we are SoL but in Pentathlon their medal target is 1-2 and there's only two medals, historically we've done well so I suspect we have a chance in both mens and womens

So I make that 7 good chances of Gold, 6 outside chances of Gold plus however the Pentathlon pans out.

we have the hot favourite in the mens k1 200m event, Ed McKeever
  • Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Your comments about the hockey are very unfair. Both teams progressed to the semi finals, and they both go in to the bronze medal play off games. Considering we haven't won a hockey medal of any colour since 1992 in the hockey, I think turning your nose up at two teams making the bronze medal play off is rather churlish. It's not as though either side were hot favourites to win.