Good types of work for shy people.

Nicky_Byrne_FanNicky_Byrne_Fan Posts: 1,693
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi everyone,

I'm currently on the job centre Work Programme and I'm confused over what type of work would be good for me. I'm mainly looking for admin work, but apparently it is a legal requirement that they have two other alternatives to the main type of work you're looking for.

I had retail down, but not so sure about that now to be honest. The one retail job what I did have was awful. I couldn't count out change whilst people were staring at me, and had a hard time dealing with awkward customers.

I'm good at stuff on the computer - not the technical side of stuff - just the typing, printing, photocopying, faxing etc. I'm shy when it comes to massive groups of people don't deal with them well at all. Telephone skills - I'm ok when I'm speaking to someone I know but not when it comes to someone I don't know.

So yeah, I'm confused. And looking what other types of work would be good for shy people, other than admin.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• BrigonBrigon Posts: 2,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You will become less shy with experience, so I wouldn't worry about picking specific jobs which let you get away with avoiding people. I'm a naturally shy person. I may not be self-confident, but I can do my job well, and deal with strangers well in person or over the phone these days.
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brigon wrote: »
    You will become less shy with experience, so I wouldn't worry about picking specific jobs which let you get away with avoiding people. I'm a naturally shy person. I may not be self-confident, but I can do my job well, and deal with strangers well in person or over the phone these days.

I agree with this. I was very shy when I first started working, but the fact that I had to interact with people gave me self-confidence, and soon I was able to deal with any situation that was thrown at me.

You really will get better at it, OP, though it's hard at first.

Most people are aware that you are just starting out in a new job, and will make allowances for any gaffes. It works better if you can laugh at your own mistakes/slowness/whatever.

Good luck.
  • spotyspoty Posts: 11,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The bakery in a big store, I know it would be an early start but you would just be in there getting the job done for most of the time

The laundry in a care home or cleaning anywhere.

Also working somwhere like Argos 'in the back' where you just have to stock the shelves and find things for the front desk.

These are just suggestions apart from office work.
  • Dante AmecheDante Ameche Posts: 20,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Traffic warden.

People avoid you like the plague unless they want directions. if it's your local area you wont have any problems giving info to them. If people get aggressive because you've ticketed them just state the reason for them getting the ticket and walk [or run if violence seems imminent ] away

Trust me it's a great way to interact with people and grow your confidence in a very short space of time and there are always vacancies for some strange reason.
  • chrisii2011chrisii2011 Posts: 2,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Animal care,animals are very good to help overcome shyness
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am shy, but now as shy as I used to be. Because of work, which forced me to deal with people. Still dont like it.:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lighthouse keeper.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tothegrand wrote: »
    I am shy, but now as shy as I used to be. Because of work, which forced me to deal with people. Still dont like it.:D
    ...and that work was/is?
  • pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was shy until I worked in a bar and it really brought me out of myself. If you want to grow then you should challenge yourself. But I must say, if you are planning on limiting yourself to work where you have little human interaction, the chances of you finding a job are very slim and the jobcentre won't take kindly to you being shy as a reason for you not applying for jobs.
  • littlebootieslittlebooties Posts: 2,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Train or lorry driver. Stockroom/Warehouse work. Post sorter at the Royal Mail. Night security guard. Removals person. Some cleaning jobs. Website designer. Gardener. Cinema projectionist. Kitchen work. Shelf stacker. Computer programmer, cctv operator, street cleaner, refuse collection, personal shopper in supermarket, caretaker,

May or may not be suitable and some need specific quals, just all I could think of.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 194
    Forum Member
    Ermm..possibly a stripper, raise your confidence as a shy person
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 194
    Forum Member
    Drink some JD too
  • spotyspoty Posts: 11,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pugamo wrote: »
    I was shy until I worked in a bar and it really brought me out of myself. If you want to grow then you should challenge yourself. But I must say, if you are planning on limiting yourself to work where you have little human interaction, the chances of you finding a job are very slim and the jobcentre won't take kindly to you being shy as a reason for you not applying for jobs.

I have worked in a bar and there I was in my comfort zone, but in a big store, where I did not know where 'everything' was I felt put on the spot a lot of the time.
    The bosses wanted me to help the customors, then had a go for not getting other things done. And some of the people shopping there were A pain. How would I know how to cook cucus? and what went with it.??? :) Bloody hell I wasn't Jamie Oliver.
  • Harper_MilneHarper_Milne Posts: 2,854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm extremely socially anxious/shy. I couldn't hack retail at all for reasons like you mentioned. I think office work suits me well because you can just sit on your computer and not have to talk to anyone and I'm good at all that typing and filling things out shit XD
  • RickWhiteRickWhite Posts: 1,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm extremely socially anxious/shy. I couldn't hack retail at all for reasons like you mentioned. I think office work suits me well because you can just sit on your computer and not have to talk to anyone and I'm good at all that typing and filling things out shit XD

I have worked in an office for years. If you are deemed to not be a team player it's shite
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...and that work was/is?

on site technical support, you have to talk to loads of people just to find out whats wrong, then you have to get other people in and talk to them. Not that im a good speaker but it has helped me a bit.
  • pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    spoty wrote: »
    I have worked in a bar and there I was in my comfort zone, but in a big store, where I did not know where 'everything' was I felt put on the spot a lot of the time.
    The bosses wanted me to help the customors, then had a go for not getting other things done. And some of the people shopping there were A pain. How would I know how to cook cucus? and what went with it.??? :) Bloody hell I wasn't Jamie Oliver.

Probably old people who don't get anyone else to talk to in the day, just say sorry I don't know but i'll get someone who does, nobody expects you to know everything.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 111
    Forum Member
    Night shifts in a care home,I don't see hardly anyone except my colleague.
  • soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brigon wrote: »
    Good advice. Lots of people who come into the work place are shy when they are in their younger years. It's all part of the learning experience, becoming comfortable dealing with people whether they be collegues or the public. The worse thing you can do is to try and pick jobs that don't require interacting with people.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Train or lorry driver. Stockroom/Warehouse work. Post sorter at the Royal Mail. Night security guard. Removals person. Some cleaning jobs. Website designer. Gardener. Cinema projectionist. Kitchen work. Shelf stacker. Computer programmer, cctv operator, street cleaner, refuse collection, personal shopper in supermarket, caretaker,

May or may not be suitable and some need specific quals, just all I could think of.
    I think they might want a job that they can interview for and start immediately. Not one that requires months or years of studying to get on the long list.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    RickWhite wrote: »
    I have worked in an office for years. If you are deemed to not be a team player it's shite

Why? Is there a lot of teambuilding guff going on and teamwork and all of that nonsense?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a very shy person by nature I can recommend customer facing roles. My first job was as a waitress, took me right out of my shyness - yes, it did take a while though.
  • JDBabyJDBaby Posts: 180
    Forum Member
    I've never worked for the Post Office, but I'd say working on a post run would be quite good. Some interacting with other staff when sorting the post at the depot, then on your own on your route, maybe occasionally seeing people you are delivering to. Seems like a fairly good mix of solitary work but still getting interacting experience with other people. As long as you are OK with the early starts.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why? Is there a lot of teambuilding guff going on and teamwork and all of that nonsense?
    I think they mean it's very cliquey and like being back at school with the bullies and so called cool kids
  • Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    The best job is one that addresses the shyness rather than one that panders to it.

If its that big an issue it needs to be overcome and it WILL be in the right role.

I remember at 14/15 being self conscious working in a shop but after a short period its not a problem. Instead of being a problem it becomes a huge confidence booster and it gives you an ability to talk to strangers that becomes very handy in other areas!!