Options

What do you vote for?

MoonbeanMoonbean Posts: 1,848
Forum Member
✭✭✭
The forum just got me thinking about what other posters vote for when watching SCD. What I mean is, do you vote for whoever you genuinely think is the best that week? Or the one who seems to have made progress? Or, as some seem to imply, for the one who you fancy the most?

For example, I know a lot of people say Harry Judd and Aliona won last year because people fancied him rather than his talent, whereas i voted for him as I thought he was the best dancer.

What do other people like to vote for? And if your favourite has a bad week, will you still vote for them?

Comments

• Options
    sprigganspriggan Posts: 54
    Forum Member
    I pretty much stick to the spirit of the competition and vote for the celebrity who seems to me to be the best dancer. However, if the best dancer has an unpleasant personality or gives their pro a hard time then I would transfer my vote to the next best. I wouldn't vote for a celeb I suspected of being complicit in rigging the partnering in their favour before the competition even started, no matter how well they danced or how much I like their pro.
  • Options
    sofakatsofakat Posts: 16,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I never vote. What a terrible waste of money. I just watch.
  • Options
    CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't vote often, if I do however, it is for the couple who have entertained me the most, whether they are the best dancers isn't always one and the same thing.
  • Options
    serafimoserafimo Posts: 1,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've hardly ever voted, but when I do it's not necessarily for the best technical dancers, but the ones that "sell it" well, or ones where you can really see they've made an effort to try to do it well. Personality does play a big part for me.
  • Options
    Jan2555*GG*Jan2555*GG* Posts: 11,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't vote as often as I used to but when I do its for lots of different reasons.

I like someone a lot
    I like someone & they are a good dancer
    I like someone & they really entertain me
    In the final I have been known to vote for someone who I didn't care about to try & stop someone I didn't like winning. However there is usually someone I like in the final.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just vote for the person (or people) that I like. Why I like them varies - could be that I think they are the best dancer, or that I enjoyed their performance the most, or I like their personality and want them to stick around for a while longer.

Of course, after a few weeks I have a favourite (sometimes two). Then I'll vote only for my favourite, but only if I think they'll need it (i.e. if they top the leaderboard then I usually won't bother). If my favourite goes out, then I might vote for someone else or I might not vote at all.

I usually bet on certain outcomes as well - who will win, who will be eliminated, who will be in the bottom two etc. So sometimes I'll vote in that direction as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ooh, interesting thoughts. I agree that whoever entertains me most that week isn't necessarily the best technical dancer, but someone who can 'sell' it. And yes, if I can't warm to someone who is a good dancer then I can't vote for them (eg. Ricky Whittle). I also like to see improvement each week, eg. Dani Harmer.
  • Options
    coppertop1coppertop1 Posts: 4,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I rarely vote and so far have only voted for Michael when he did his outstanding QS

last year I voted a few times for Chelsee if I felt she was in danger

this week I have already decided to vote for Victoria as the constant picking on her this week is irritating and I bet I am not the only one
  • Options
    wazzyboywazzyboy Posts: 13,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It varies. Sometimes a big improvement from earlier. Sometimes a performance I really enjoyed or found moving. Technique plus either or both is worth an extra call.
  • Options
    Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I do vote, 90% of the time I vote for who I think is the best dancer and overall performer - I won't vote for a technically good dancer who's as dull as dishwater, they have to perform a dance, not just dance it technically well.

I do have favourite pros, but if my favourite pro is with a rubbish dancer/someone I didn't like, I wouldn't vote for them.

The partnership does help too - I will freely admit I voted for Chris & Ola knowing full well Ricky was a better dancer - I loved Chris & Ola's partnership and didn't warm to Ricky & Natalie's. I love Natalie now though :)

I haven't voted this year yet, haven't even got close to considering picking up the phone.
    spriggan wrote: »
    I wouldn't vote for a celeb I suspected of being complicit in rigging the partnering in their favour before the competition even started, no matter how well they danced or how much I like their pro.

Maybe I've missed something, but I've never heard anything about anyone doing that :confused: And having met a pro/being friends with them prior to doing the show doesn't equate to rigging the partnering.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't vote for people I feel sorry for (I just pray for a swift and merciful release from Strictly for them), have never voted for a comedy contestant because I end up getting all huffy and "You're not taking this seriously enough" about the Ann Widecombs and Russell Grants (though I did have a bit of a soft spot for Jerry Hall this year) and wouldn't vote for someone just because I found them attractive.

I guess in addition to the celebrity dancer's dance ability and natural charisma I'm often swayed into supporting a partnership because of the professional dancer's choreography. I think a lot of the reason why I supported Kara and Artem was down to the amazing and memorable routines that he choreographed and the reason I support Pasha both with Chelsee and again this year with Kimberley is because I love that his choreography always has a very strong storytelling element to it.
  • Options
    SallyforthSallyforth Posts: 7,404
    Forum Member
    To add to other reasons already given.....if I think someone's been under marked.
  • Options
    Mrs FMrs F Posts: 8,232
    Forum Member
    Over 10 series I have spent shedloads of money voting on this show:eek: especially when I have been trying to get my favourite celeb either to the final, from the semi, or to win. I vote from week 1 til the end.

Mr F is never happy in January when the bill comes in:eek:

I note all the celebs before the show starts, mostly I've never heard of lots of them, but that doesn't bother me. Gethin and Harry come to mind, had never heard of them prior to Strictly, but loved their dancing potential, still do. the fact that they are both good looking to me, is a bonus:D

After week 1 dances, I choose a celeb who I think has got "potential";) I did this from series 3 onwards, as prior to that I was voting for my fav celebs.Chris Parker - because it got up the nose of the judges- and Aled and Julian in series 2 because I liked them as personalities.

I've never yet failed to choose a celeb who gets to the semi final at least.;)

In the early weeks, I'll send votes to my favourite celeb, plus others if I dont want them to leave yet, or think they've done a good dance that particular week.

But, I'll defend anybody's right to vote on whatever criteria they like. I know someone who votes on who she thinks wears the best oufit:)
  • Options
    SeasideLadySeasideLady Posts: 20,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I vote for two different reasons :

The very best dancer obviously - they must win
    My favourite Pro and their partner - a strong contender this year I'm delighted to say.
  • Options
    DeltaBluesDeltaBlues Posts: 4,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I only ever vote in the final, and then for the dancer who I find most entertaining through a combination of their dancing, personality and partnership with their pro.

I voted for Tom, Chris and Kara, but I didn't vote last year as I couldn't choose between Harry and Chelsee and didn't mind which of them won.
  • Options
    MonaoggMonaogg Posts: 19,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only vote in the final for whoever manages to show they have truly enjoyed their experience of being on SCD.
    Last year for me this was Chelsee, So far this year the only true potential parings for me are Lisa & Robin & Dani & Vincent. Michael & Natalie are a maybe.
  • Options
    katmobilekatmobile Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For the past few years I have been unable to vote due to watching the show so time shifted due to my little girl's bathtime that by the time I've watched the lines have closed.

I know that I would given the chance vote the way I did in the past which was for people who I like and are in danger - the people I like tend to those who I either find entertaining and not as bad as some - i.e I would like them to stay a bit longer or the talented who have a bad night - the bad night could simply be a dance that doesn't suit i.e voting for Ramps when his rhumba landed him at the bottom of the leaderboard or a real night to forget - I am going to hold my hand up and way I was one of the folks who voted for Matt DA when he blanked in the QF and I neither regret nor feel any guilt over it - I would do the same thing if I could go back in time - however I mainly did it because I thought he deserved a chance to prove his critics wrong which he did but I wouldn't have been devasted had he lost a final place to Gethin only if he'd performed badly in the semis and wasted that second chance which cutting through the debate about whether the waltz deserved a perfect score or not I believe he did. I didn't vote in the series five final as I felt that Alesha would win without my help and deservedly so. I was actually tempted to vote for Alesha in the quarter finals because I felt she most deserved to go through to the final but I felt I couldn't bring myself to condemn Gethin - I found out later that hubbie had voted for Gethin.

In the series six final I voted for both Tom and Rachel in the first round of voting because I wanted anyone but Lisa to win and Tom in the final round of voting because his showdance blew me away. Series six was the most I've ever voted - and it was for various people - Jodie, Heather and Austin and the only time I've been frustrated that my vote meant nothing (Austingate). I love Austin because he was talented but also I did love his dry sense of humour. Tom sometimes wowed me and sometimes made me want to throw things at the telly - hubbie didn't like him personally but because an ardent supporter of his after his QS which hubbie loved.

As to the criteria of whom I like its a mixture of dancing and personality and entertainment value - I tend not to care about people with dancing backgrounds - I don't mind if they win but I'm never bothered enough about them to vote for them - apart from Kara - I did really like Kara but she didn't need my help. I worried out Pamela going out during Halloweon - in spite of her faults I like her - I thought it was great an older woman was capable of giving the latin some energy and jive excepted it wasn't too bad (I've yet to see anyone over the age of 40 - male or female do a convincing jive). I rooted for Jade all series seven and was a tad gutted when she had to retire. I think sometimes I end up rooting for people no one else on here seems to like - Pamela, Jason and this year Victoria and Colin. I don't support duffers although I have to give kudos to all Michael's supporters as I'd have ditched him given my way the week before Halloweon and we would never have seen him blossom the way he did (and even if his latin is still as bad as his dance-off levels and he goes home next week then he'll still have contributed to SCD's entertainment value by geuninely surprising and wowing with his improvement) - your faith paid off people and I salute you.
  • Options
    snogglewortsnogglewort Posts: 2,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My fave pro.
  • Options
    holly berryholly berry Posts: 14,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At this stage the couple I think least deserve to go out but look as though they might be in danger.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 282
    Forum Member
    I don't watch it live so I can't vote - except for the final, which I do watch live. I've always voted for the person I think gave the best performance on the night, so when I have voted I went for Tom (sorry! - but that showdance was amazing), Chris (yes I know), Chelsee and Kara.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The ones I've voted for are:

Alesha
    Tom
    Chris
    Matt Baker
    Harry Judd.

So far, with this series I've hopped about a bit with voting, as I haven't had just one favourite, so Denise, Michael (the week his ballroom was gorgeous), Louis and Dani. I didn't vote last week as I watched it on Sunday so it was too late! I would have voted for Denise and James for that fabulous waltz.
  • Options
    peevepeeve Posts: 3,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting topic! Thanks, OP.

I know some people think it's a total waste of money to vote. Fair enough, but I've never bought a lottery ticket, because that would be a serious waste of money. ;) It's only 15p, for goodness' sake!

Having said that, I remember having a totally stressful time during the series 8 final, desperately hitting the redial button for Kara & Artem in between trying to watch the dancing and texting a friend who couldn't watch the show but wanted to know what was going on. Never again. Okay, I spent a lot of money that night, but no more than a couple of rounds of drinks down the pub, so *shrugs shoulders*

I'll vote for different reasons - early on, there's little point in voting for the best couple, since they are likely to be safe at the top of the leader-board. Rather, I'll vote for a couple I want to see dance again, even if they've not delivered the best dance of the night. Hence my previous votes for Victoria and Brendan. I've also voted for Fern and Artem, not because I want to see Fern dance again, but because I'd miss Artem if they were eliminated. And yes, I'm not too proud to admit that the bare chest worked for me - I voted for them last week. :o
  • Options
    cezzycezzy Posts: 4,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only ever vote in the final & that's not every year.

I vote for the act who I enjoy watching & has made the most progress throughout the competition. This has sometimes meant I've voted for the most technically brilliant, but other times its been a vote for the weaker celeb dancer. Each time it's been a vote for joyful entertainment.:)
  • Options
    MonksealMonkseal Posts: 12,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For most of the competition I vote for whoever I like the most in the bottom third of the leaderboard, both in terms of their dancing and their personality. Once we get near the end I start voting for whoever's dancing I enjoy watching the most.
  • Options
    JayinthegardenJayinthegarden Posts: 1,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I only ever vote once and that is in the final. I vote for my favourite dancer who is in the final, unless they completely c**k it up :)