Man United Supporters Thread (Part 36)

SupportSupport Posts: 70,496
Administrator
JMTD wrote: »
Funny considering only a handful of teams have beaten us in terms of possession in the league this season and it was never more than about 3% in it. I'd struggle to name a better performing midfielder than Carrick this season too.

We ended up conceding possession here simply because we decided to sit back and try to hit them on the counter, which to no surprise began to happen once Kagawa and Cleverley left the pitch.
    Admin Notice: This thread is a continuation of: http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1770447

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,482
      Forum Member
      ✭✭
      First!

Well technically, second.

Do you think RVP will be rested on saturday?
    • kendogukkendoguk Posts: 13,800
      Forum Member
      ✭✭
      I think they should start strong try kill the game off then rest him
    • zielerzieler Posts: 8,038
      Forum Member
      dmuk wrote: »
      First!

I think he will be on the bench as the emergency option like at West Ham. Can see Rooney and Hernandez starting.
    • Fergie86Fergie86 Posts: 7,929
      Forum Member
      First!

I hope not but i think he will to be honest, he will probably be on the bench like he was with West Ham. I would love us to win the FA Cup as it has been too long since we won it way back in 2004, although if push came to shove i would happily loose on Saturday if it meant we won Fulham in the league a week on Saturday.
    • NorthernNinnyNorthernNinny Posts: 18,412
      Forum Member
      ✭✭
      First!

Part 36? That must mean we're a big club for sure.:cool:
    • BritBrit Posts: 945
      Forum Member
      ✭✭
      Part 36? That must mean we're a big club for sure.:cool:

Nah! Only when we get to part 100 :D:p
      Forum Member
      Brit wrote: »
      Nah! Only when we get to part 100 :D:p

We must still be a wee club then:rolleyes:
    • Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
      Forum Member
      Originally posted by TheSoth

OK, seeing patience isn't your bag, who would you buy this transfer window (realistically) to replace him? Or would you just stick with Lindegaard?

I'm not surprised Fergie likes Mignolet - his save percentage was superb last season, seeing how much work he had to do. I like Al-Habsi, too. But they're all not perfect.

Im seriously questioning whether people read. I said in the opening line of my post that i liked DDG and didnt want him dropped or sold. Im not sure how differently i can word the same thing so people actually understand.

Its not a question of "patience" as i explained in some great detail.

Its about being jumped on for pointing out an issue. I really cant go into any more depth or detail about it. I explained why the earlier saves werent the issue and all my various concerns two years down the line. If people dont want to read that and simply invent what they think ive said, then theres nothing much i can do about it. I expect it from Batdude and yet again he hasnt let me down with the childlike approach, completely missing all the points and coming out with opinions on a different issue, but id have thought you would be able to see what i was saying.

I stand by it anyway because its a logical and non-knee jerk point of view and its not calling for the boys head despite people wanting to pigeon-hole your opinions if you dare to criticise DDG.
    • KierenjKierenj Posts: 2,457
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      Cantona07 wrote: »
      Originally posted by TheSoth

OK, seeing patience isn't your bag, who would you buy this transfer window (realistically) to replace him? Or would you just stick with Lindegaard?

I'm not surprised Fergie likes Mignolet - his save percentage was superb last season, seeing how much work he had to do. I like Al-Habsi, too. But they're all not perfect.

I know the above was posted by Sloth and not C07...

The problem with stats is that they tell half the story... Didn't DDG have the best save percentage last season... better than Hart in fact... so looking at stats we'll be fine... even not looking at them we'll be fine.

I'd rather he didn't make mistakes, but I'm willing to ride out the one or two over the next couple of years as I think he could develop to be one of the best in the world... the days of buying a World Class keeper for a top team are over I think... anyone even mildly good at a young age gets snapped up and sit on the bench... where they aren't happy and all manner shenanigans begin. The only exception I can think of is the young Belgian keeper at Chelsea who has gone out on loan with the refreshing statement of "I'm a good couple of years away from being good enough to start for a top team so Athletic Madrid is ideal for me".

The more I think about it the more we were forced by sheer events. There was no point trying to get someone in whilst we had VDS as he was playing superbly, Foster would have been ideal but he was too good to stay on the bench. By the time VDS retired there was no one really about, Neuer would have been my preferred choice but he wanted to stay in Germany. I can't think of their being a better option out there at the time.
      Forum Member
      Kierenj wrote: »
      The more I think about it the more we were forced by sheer events. There was no point trying to get someone in whilst we had VDS as he was playing superbly, Foster would have been ideal but he was too good to stay on the bench. By the time VDS retired there was no one really about, Neuer would have been my preferred choice but he wanted to stay in Germany. I can't think of their being a better option out there at the time.

VDS was also extremely dodgy for a spell it has to be said but he came through it. Foster was punted (rightly) for arguably a similar issue to DDG - although his lack of confidence was throughout his game. He simply couldnt deal with the pressure of being our keeper. But i dont think there is anything wrong with that, being the keeper for Manchester United should be the absolute pinnacle of your career and you should be able to deal with the pressure because you are at the very top of your game.

Old Trafford is littered with goalkeepers who were excellent keepers but simply not up to the standard for this club (Leighton, Bosnich, Barthez, Howard, Foster). At other clubs? No problem, excellent careers, at United? Not up to it.
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      VDS was also extremely dodgy for a spell it has to be said but he came through it. Foster was punted (rightly) for arguably a similar issue to DDG - although his lack of confidence was throughout his game. He simply couldnt deal with the pressure of being our keeper. But i dont think there is anything wrong with that, being the keeper for Manchester United should be the absolute pinnacle of your career and you should be able to deal with the pressure because you are at the very top of your game.

Old Trafford is littered with goalkeepers who were excellent keepers but simply not up to the standard for this club (Leighton, Bosnich, Barthez, Howard, Foster). At other clubs? No problem, excellent careers, at United? Not up to it.

Did I read somewhere that there were 10 keepers who played for us between Schmeical and VDS?

I can think of:
      Bosnich
      Barthez
      Howard
      Carrol
      Taibi
      Goram (gypsy)
      Van De Gouw
      Ricardo...
    • FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
      Forum Member
      Fergie86 wrote: »
      I hope not but i think he will to be honest, he will probably be on the bench like he was with West Ham. I would love us to win the FA Cup as it has been too long since we won it way back in 2004, although if push came to shove i would happily loose on Saturday if it meant we won Fulham in the league a week on Saturday.

I didn't realise til yesterday that the game is on ESPN, so luck is against us from that fact alone!
    • FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
      Forum Member
      Wednesday gossip

Manchester City are set to battle it out with title rivals Manchester United for Stoke keeper Asmir Begovic, 25.

Full story: Daily Mirror

Manchester United are also keen on QPR's Brazilian goalkeeper Julio Cesar, but they could face competition from Arsenal for the 33-year-old's signature.

Full story: the Sun

Manchester United striker Federico Macheda, 21, is on the verge of signing for Spanish second division side Elche on loan for the rest of the season.

Full story: Daily Express

Why isn't Macheda just sold? Did Fergie adopt him or something and only wants to loan him out so he can keep getting him back?
    • JoTaylorJoTaylor Posts: 9,870
      Forum Member
      Kierenj wrote: »
      Did I read somewhere that there were 10 keepers who played for us between Schmeical and VDS?

I can think of:
      Bosnich
      Barthez
      Howard
      Carrol
      Taibi
      Goram (gypsy)
      Van De Gouw
      Ricardo...

I was asked this the other week - it took me ages to get the other two.

Nick Culkin and Paul Rachubka!! One of those Saturday afternoons where I think M is secretly happy to be married to me - all the lads were scratching their heads as I started rattling them off (that sounded so bad!! :eek:)
    • fatsifatsi Posts: 10,261
      Forum Member
      ✭✭
      Beaten to it ^ :)
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      JoTaylor wrote: »

Nick Culkin and Paul Rachubka!! One of those Saturday afternoons where I think M is secretly happy to be married to me - all the lads were scratching their heads as I started rattling them off (that sounded so bad!! :eek:)

Skills... I remember Culkin from playing Championship Manager; Rachubka I remember the name but that's about it... Ricardo is always one which I normally forget too.

Rattling men off... :o
    • toastie15toastie15 Posts: 3,847
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      Part 36 already :D:D:D
    • kendogukkendoguk Posts: 13,800
      Forum Member
      ✭✭
      We've away to go before we reach some of the numbers that the chatter thread has lol
    • batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      . I expect it from Batdude and yet again he hasnt let me down with the childlike approach, completely missing all the points and coming out with opinions on a different issue.

My opinions are not "childlike", so I have no earthly idea why you would think so, they are different from yours, that does not make them childish in anyway.

I am backing De Gea, and think that giving him time is the best way foward.

Anyway, onto a different subject, it seems that Kiko has gone on loan again, this time to Germany with Stuttgart, with an option to buy him for 4 million Euro's at the end of the loan period.
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      JoTaylor wrote: »

Wasn't it Nick that came on for 2 seconds at Highbury, took a goal kick after Van De Gouw's injury, and the ref blew his whistle for full-time?
      Did he play for us again, or was that his sole appearence for us?
      Forum Member
      Wasn't it Nick that came on for 2 seconds at Highbury, took a goal kick after Van De Gough's injury, and the ref blew his whistle for full-time?
      Did he play for us again, or was that his sole appearence for us?

Yeah that was his sole appearance for United, after Van Der Gouw was knocked out by Martin Keown's knee Culkin came on and took the goal kick the full time whistle was blown and then Fergie went out and signed Massimo Taibi as Mark Bosnich was out injured too. Still at least he can tell his Grandkids he played for United.
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      Fergie86 wrote: »
      Yeah that was his sole appearance for United, after Van Der Gouw was knocked out by Martin Keown's knee Culkin came on and took the goal kick the full time whistle was blown and then Fergie went out and signed Massimo Taibi as Mark Bosnich was out injured too. Still at least he can tell his Grandkids he played for United.

When you have less playing time for us than Andy Goram, you know that your appearences must have been brief! :D
      Forum Member
      My opinions are not "childlike", so I have no earthly idea why you would think so, they are different from yours, that does not make them childish in anyway.

I am backing De Gea, and think that giving him time is the best way foward.

They are childlike. I have no problem with anyone having a different opinion but its how its expressed that counts. Look at your response to the DDG debate - "are we still talking about this? I say give him time blah blah blah" when the discussion wasnt about whether he should be given time or not. I would now expect either "lets agree to disagree" or "lets not continue down this road".

At some point the penny will drop that having a different opinion to others is and has never been the issue.
      Forum Member
      When you have less playing time for us than Andy Goram, you know that your appearences must have been brief! :D

That's true i don't know what Fergie was thinking bringing him in, Goram was a good goalie in his Rangers days but he was well past it by the time he came to us. I always remember coming home early from School as i was ill and putting on the teletext and it said we had signed Andy Goram it was a WTF moment.
    • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,293
      Forum Member
      Hey a new thread.

Big Boy Barry makes his presence known!
    This discussion has been closed.