F1 Coverage - The Verdict: 2013 Season

Comments

• D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will Buxton ‏@willbuxton
    There have been a few questions about it... and yes. Delighted that I've been asked back to cover @GP2_Official and @GP3_Official for FOM.
    5:33 p.m. - Feb 17, 2013
  • alexj2002alexj2002 Posts: 3,930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has anyone noticed that Martin Brundle, unlike the others, refuses to have the "Sky" part of the mic showing in front of his face?

A quick Google Image Search for "Martin Brundle" shows this not to be true.
  • stefmeisterstefmeister Posts: 8,395
    Forum Member
    1998 Canadian Gp (F1 Digital+ Die Besten Gp Highlights):
    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xxkq2g_1998-canada_auto#.USEpt_KaaGc
  • R410R410 Posts: 2,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it just me or did when Ted and Natalie were talking about the 3D on the F1 Show seem very forced?

I found it funny when Chilton was talking about pay drivers, he didn't include himself in the list of pay drivers.
  • F1KenF1Ken Posts: 4,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just been watching back all the GP highlights from the last 2 years on the BBC website. And I don't think I have ever really notice how much David Coulthard has improved. We all know he's improved but watching back it's astounding.

DC was actually terrible in his first few races and he was always MB's sidekick in 2011. 2012 comes along and he's a different commentator. It's also noticeable how much Ben improved and how well Ben and DC gelled.

They work really well together. Brundle is a good commentator but I wouldn't want to loose DC or Ben. They are perfect together.

Ken
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    R410 wrote: »
    Is it just me or did when Ted and Natalie were talking about the 3D on the F1 Show seem very forced?

Ted seemed more interested in live testing than 3D, while Natalie was trying to push 3D - I agree with Ted there. Looking forward to how Sky lay out the testing programs.
  • stevvy1986stevvy1986 Posts: 7,077
    Forum Member
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    Ted seemed more interested in live testing than 3D, while Natalie was trying to push 3D - I agree with Ted there. Looking forward to how Sky lay out the testing programs.

The programmes are from 2-4.30pm each day aren't they D.M.N? If so, I'll go through the way I'd 'schedule' the coverage on the 4 days.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stevvy1986 wrote: »
    The programmes are from 2-4.30pm each day aren't they D.M.N? If so, I'll go through the way I'd 'schedule' the coverage on the 4 days.

Yes - although Sunday is 1pm to 3:55pm.

O/T - Lewis Hamilton is on Top Gear in a min.
  • stevvy1986stevvy1986 Posts: 7,077
    Forum Member
    Ok, so basically how I'd do it on say the Friday is:

2pm: Intro, discussions about the day so far, any incidents, and general chat

2.15pm: Head to Croft plus guest/s in the commentary box (combining with interviews/news from Ted)

4pm: Back to the presenters in the pits for a round up/general chat

4.10pm: Interviews with whoever

4.20pm: More chat about what they've heard in the interviews, and anything else generally that's come up

4.26/27pm: End credits.

Something along those lines would be reasonable I think.
  • JonpollakJonpollak Posts: 2,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well Done Danica Patrick..
    She sits on the Pole.
    Jp
  • Chris_WilliamsChris_Williams Posts: 152
    Forum Member
    alexj2002 wrote: »
    A quick Google Image Search for "Martin Brundle" shows this not to be true.

Definitely on the shows the "Sky" part of Brundle's mic is always facing towards him but on the Google pictures the photographer is to his side and displays "Sky". All relative to positioning I suppose but my point was that Brundle doesn't come across as being keen on being "owned" by Sky unlike Lazenby, Herbert and Hill.
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 22,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do hope the live testing is actually about the testing, that just happens to be in 3D, and not a 3D experiment centred around a test, if you see what I mean.
  • dzfootballdzfootball Posts: 4,105
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    solarflare wrote: »
    I do hope the live testing is actually about the testing, that just happens to be in 3D, and not a 3D experiment centred around a test, if you see what I mean.

E.g. They set up 3D cameras and not cover the whole track to get the best shots. I am not sure they would be doing live coverage of a test if wasn't for the 3D aspect.

I don't see it as a bad thing they are trying something new and also provided us some live testing coverage. I don't have access to 3D but will be interested to read what other people think of it.
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    solarflare wrote: »

If it follows Sky's regular 3D broadcasting pattern, it will be a completely different production, with different cameras, commentators, vision mixing, graphics etc.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    derek500 wrote: »
    If it follows Sky's regular 3D broadcasting pattern, it will be a completely different production, with different cameras, commentators, vision mixing, graphics etc.

As has already been said, the idea of Sky having different 3D commentators for F1 testing is highly unlikely.
  • hobnob_monsterhobnob_monster Posts: 2,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jonpollak wrote: »
    Well Done Danica Patrick..
    She sits on the Pole.
    Jp

Yes, not bad at all! I'm thinking of subscribing to premier sports this week for the NASCAR season (rather than relying again on dodgy we streams...). Does anyone know what the best discount code is?

I've found one that gives the option of a 12-month pass for £80 (Instead of £9.99/month). Discount code "BOWLS" (that's bowls, not bowels). Is this the best offer?
  • R410R410 Posts: 2,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That came across to me, it was just the uneasy-ness that stuck out to me.

Derek, being a shareholder in Sky does not mean that you have to comment on everything Sky related on here.

That my be the way that they do their 3D of a main event, but the F1 event is tiny in comparison.
  • JonpollakJonpollak Posts: 2,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, not bad at all! I'm thinking of subscribing to premier sports this week for the NASCAR season (rather than relying again on dodgy we streams...). Does anyone know what the best discount code is?

I've found one that gives the option of a 12-month pass for £80 (Instead of £9.99/month). Discount code "BOWLS" (that's bowls, not bowels). Is this the best offer?

:D
    Don't know as I swore NEVER to subscribe to those potato hugging knee cappers after the 2011 title decider debacle where they said it on for free then withdrew the freeview mid race....eejits.

I will be relying on said dodgy we streams.
    Jp
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A bit of speculation over in the Sky & Satellite Weekly threads that Sky Sports are launching 5 HD Red Button streams from Monday 11th March:

- http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1795335
    - http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1797971

If that happens, then it looks like the onboard streams via the Red Button will be in HD for 2013 too, then.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    R410 wrote: »
    That my be the way that they do their 3D of a main event, but the F1 event is tiny in comparison.

They've done some tiny events* in 3D and always have completely different coverage.

*e.g. Showjumping getting 20k viewers on Sky sports 4 in 2D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 42
    Forum Member
    They've done some tiny events* in 3D and always have completely different coverage.

*e.g. Showjumping getting 20k viewers on Sky sports 4 in 2D

But as I've said on this thread, that's not the case across the board - they've done motorsport (Goodwood Festival of Speed) with exactly the same coverage 2D and 3D.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But as I've said on this thread, that's not the case across the board - they've done motorsport (Goodwood Festival of Speed) with exactly the same coverage 2D and 3D.

OK. I can't comment on that as I didn't watch any 2d coverage. The presenters/commentators were mentioning 3D a lot, which doesn't happen on other sports,

And they had a dedicated 3D camera on Tony Jardine and the other guy. Normally with the football.and golf etc,. they use the initial presentation in 2D before handing over to the 3D team.
    Forum Member
    A bit of speculation over in the Sky & Satellite Weekly threads that Sky Sports are launching 5 HD Red Button streams from Monday 11th March:

- http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1795335
    - http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1797971

If that happens, then it looks like the onboard streams via the Red Button will be in HD for 2013 too, then.

And hopefully the pit lane channel too as it's a bit difficult to follow split screen on this option in SD.

Related to that, I would hope this year to see separate programs during the week of highlights 'from the pits' or 'from the cockpit' with edits from these feeds - it would help fill some time with something different in the schedule; assuming it's not going to be too full of classic race re-runs ;)
  • ariusukariusuk Posts: 13,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Goodwood had a separate OB for 3D from the 2D one.
    The 3D one was provided by Telegenics (who do all Sky's 3D), while 2D coverage was done by Arqiva (in what I think was their last job before leaving the OB industry).
    Forum Member
    OK. I can't comment on that as I didn't watch any 2d coverage. The presenters/commentators were mentioning 3D a lot, which doesn't happen on other sports,

And they had a dedicated 3D camera on Tony Jardine and the other guy. Normally with the football.and golf etc,. they use the initial presentation in 2D before handing over to the 3D team.

I agree, you normally do get a dedicated commentary team. Sadly for the football it quite often seems that the commentary is second rate compared to the 2D offering, to the extent that I've tried to sync up the 'proper' commentary via Sky Go to the 3D pictures. Anyway, that's going off topic, but it will be interesting to see which route they go down with the test - hopefully not a separate commentary with the likes of Jonathan Legard :D
This discussion has been closed.