Doc Martin (Part 15 — Spoilers)

Comments

• SusieSagitariusSusieSagitarius Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NewPark wrote: »
    i think all the points can be worked in --......(list)

I even think that you could read his look at Edith as he was leaving as "I'm sorry, I wish I could, it's not you, but I can't go through with it."

My point is, that he doesn't dislike Edith, in fact he has some (residual) affection for her, and while he was probably largely oblivious to her predatory designs on him, a resumption of intimate relations with her might not have seemed like such a bad idea, were it not for his feelings for Louisa. I think one has to believe in the real possibility of his relationship with Edith developing, in order for him to make a real choice between the comfortable and non-challenging relationship he might have with her, and going outside of his comfort zone with Louisa, better for him in the end.
    I wonder if the after affects of the first scene -- where they each hear the other say that their assumptions about each other's motives were wrong --- actually sunk in, and were helping them become unstuck?

Good work, NewPark and ShopGirl (2.5) on the list.
    And I think the observation about him trying to say something as he stood in the doorway is right on, too.
    And your reading of Martin's feelings re Edith, too.

I'm glad you mentioned the first scene. I had to go back and rewatch it a couple times to truly take in the import of what they'd said.

Gee, I do so appreciate the insights and perspectives everyone brings to this forum!
  • Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She was asking to be taking back on again and apologizing. I can't figure out what his response was, if any. did he take her back?

He didn't really respond in the scene, but I think he was willing to accept her apology (such as it was). But he WASN'T willing to change the reference - at least yet. ;)

Since she was there in the next scene in the surgery (beginning of next episode) he must have taken her back
  • marchrandmarchrand Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is tricky - In S4E2, when Louisa told him that she was pregnant, he did suggest marrying once again (although quickly brushed past that proposal) , but Louisa declined. Doc never went in that territory in S5, only mentioning and then setting up a date for the Christening. Do they have to reapply for another marriage license as the first one was never used? We are talking about Portwenn, where things are done different.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marchrand wrote: »
    This is tricky - In S4E2, when Louisa told him that she was pregnant, he did suggest marrying once again (although quickly brushed past that proposal) , but Louisa declined. Doc never went in that territory in S5, only mentioning and then setting up a date for the Christening. Do they have to reapply for another marriage license as the first one was never used? We are talking about Portwenn, where things are done different.

Yes, it is tricky, but take your time predicting. But jumping ahead to the end of s5, LG gets what she's hoped for in his declaration of love and they do walk away hand in hand with a new understanding of Doc's willingness to compromise/change his opinion.

Hey, UK folks, do you know the answer to the license question?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Okay, NewPark.

So I'm now recording responses to Prediction #4. I have mine, larablair's, and NewPark's.

What do the rest of you think?:)

My prediction: I have a Magic 8-Ball here. I don't think we'll actually see a proposal this time. I think based on what was said at the castle in S5 E8 we'll just go with the assumption of a proposal. The description Johnny Bamford gave us of Doc's taxi driving through Altarnun (which we're to see as part of Portwenn) toward the church will be the opening scene. No explanation. He just goes to the church and they get married.

And here I get off-track (this isn't a prediction at all). They darn well better show us at least some of the ceremony! It feels like the fans are almost a part of the relationship and we do not need to be excluded from our own wedding!

That made absolutely NO sense. But I bet most of you understand what I'm getting at.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have thought this is one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLlUE367apw
    Here's the cite: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/tubetalk/a178058/more-from-the-doc-martin-cast.html

This includes the one that Statesidefan cited -- plus others of the cast, especially including Caroline Catz.

Plus: it sounds like KCET is going to keep an eye on things for us during filming season:

http://www.kcet.org/shows/tvtalk/tv-news/spoiler-some-doc-martin-season-six-news.html

But I still wish Hod would be doing a S6 blog like she did for S5 and earlier. But life moves on for us all, I guess.

Thanks guys! I could see statesidefan's, but not NewPark's because I only have an i-pad and can't download JavaScript.
    However, from watching the first one, I remember them now, and they are really good interviews. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here's another fun one to try and predict: Who do you think will be the new pharmacist in Series 6?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I absolutely love the opening sequence of this episode -- with DM precisely timing his egg, his immaculate white dishes, his toast soldiers and then the big close-up -- where, for the first and only time in the series, I think, DM looks directly at the camera, sighs, and then moves decisively out the back door.

I think of it as a brilliant camera shot, showing him "facing up" to what he has to do-- i.e., confront Louisa

I love the "toast soldiers!" Is this really what they're called? How are they made? (I want some toast soldiers too!) :rolleyes::D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 123
    Forum Member
    Maybe the church is for the Christening not wedding. HOPE both as has been predicted. Also curious about the toast
  • NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dmptrader wrote: »
    Maybe the church is for the Christening not wedding. HOPE both as has been predicted. Also curious about the toast

I think that toast soldiers are pieces of toast with the crust cut off and cut into rectangles -- but am getting out of my UK depth here.

I'll have to go back and check now -- I thought that's what they were on his table, but maybe just plain (dry) toast.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Biffpup wrote: »
    My prediction: I have a Magic 8-Ball here. I don't think we'll actually see a proposal this time. I think based on what was said at the castle in S5 E8 we'll just go with the assumption of a proposal. The description Johnny Bamford gave us of Doc's taxi driving through Altarnun (which we're to see as part of Portwenn) toward the church will be the opening scene. No explanation. He just goes to the church and they get married.

And here I get off-track (this isn't a prediction at all). They darn well better show us at least some of the ceremony! It feels like the fans are almost a part of the relationship and we do not need to be excluded from our own wedding!

That made absolutely NO sense. But I bet most of you understand what I'm getting at.

You may well be right. As PoorRichard remarked, his "I will always l(ove you)" was essentially his proposal/commitment statement.

I'm wondering if we'll see any dithering at all about London still -- will she change her mind and offer to go with him, in the end? I might be coming around to Mona's point of view, which is (I think) that Louisa could be more accommodating to Martin's special skill set and the fact that he does seem to loathe Portwenn, and compromise such that they return to their second home in Portwenn for vacations, holidays and long weekends. But I think it's entirely possible that London will not be mentioned again, and that's fine too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But I still wish Hod would be doing a S6 blog like she did for S5 and earlier. But life moves on for us all, I guess.

Well, when you look at all of Hod's blogs, S6 is now listed. Clicking on it, however, we see that nothing has been done with it yet. Maybe it just hasn't happened yet? I think Hod used to hang out here too, isn't that right? Hod? Paging Hod?

http://docmartinseries6.blogspot.com/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You may well be right. As PoorRichard remarked, his "I will always l(ove you)" was essentially his proposal/commitment statement.

I'm wondering if we'll see any dithering at all about London still -- will she change her mind and offer to go with him, in the end? I might be coming around to Mona's point of view, which is (I think) that Louisa could be more accommodating to Martin's special skill set and the fact that he does seem to loathe Portwenn, and compromise such that they return to their second home in Portwenn for vacations, holidays and long weekends. But I think it's entirely possible that London will not be mentioned again, and that's fine too.

I really think as long as we "see" their life together, LG and DM will be in Portwenn. I think the setting is a part of the character of the show. Once BP is completely done with it, though, they'll wrap it up with them leaving for London. Whenever that is. Maybe. :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ReneeBird wrote: »
    Here's another fun one to try and predict: Who do you think will be the new pharmacist in Series 6?

Ack! Sniff! :cry: I want Mrs. T!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Biffpup wrote: »
    I really think as long as we "see" their life together, LG and DM will be in Portwenn. I think the setting is a part of the character of the show. Once BP is completely done with it, though, they'll wrap it up with them leaving for London. Whenever that is. Maybe. :confused:

Yes, I agree with this. We'll never see them in London actually, but we might see them leaving for London --ultimately.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found out on Wikipedia that toast soldiers are pieces of toast that are cut into thin rectangles so they can be dipped into a soft boiled egg. Like we saw Aunt Ruth do! They resemble soldiers on parade, I guess. I want one of these!
    http://www.google.com/search?q=toast+soldiers+cutter&hl=en&client=safari&sa=X&biw=1024&bih=644&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&ei=kexMUaiUDqaY2AXdo4HgCA&ved=0CDoQsAQ

Seems like I remember Louisa had toast soldiers on her plate. (The infamous "I don't want fish, I'll have an egg that I won't eat" meal.)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that toast soldiers are pieces of toast with the crust cut off and cut into rectangles -- but am getting out of my UK depth here.

I'll have to go back and check now -- I thought that's what they were on his table, but maybe just plain (dry) toast.

dmptrader and NewPark: straight from (uh, to) soldiers' mouths: http://on.aol.com/video/world-record-for-soldiers-eating
    toasted--soldiers--517407743#_videoid=517423292

Enjoy!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

ReneeBird, please clarify for me. Your question is clear, but I have no idea how I'd go about answering it, since we have no one in the series that we know of who is a pharmacist. Or do you mean an actor that would take on the role? Help!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 123
    Forum Member
    dmptrader and NewPark: straight from (uh, to) soldiers' mouths: http://on.aol.com/video/world-record-for-soldiers-eating
    toasted--soldiers--517407743#_videoid=517423292

Enjoy!

Cool! Are these 3 minute eggs? Is this a typical English breakfast?

How clever that to do this with Guinness! Thanks SusieS:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ReneeBird, please clarify for me. Your question is clear, but I have no idea how I'd go about answering it, since we have no one in the series that we know of who is a pharmacist. Or do you mean an actor that would take on the role? Help!

Oh, shoot. I didn't think that far ahead! I guess there's no new actor's name on the cast list for Series 6, is there?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys! I could see statesidefan's, but not NewPark's because I only have an i-pad and can't download JavaScript.
    However, from watching the first one, I remember them now, and they are really good interviews. :)

Yes, they are some of the best that have been done. I wish they had done some for S5.

Does anyone know how to contact the Powers That Be of DS to ask them to try to set up interviews after filming of S6?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 340
    Forum Member
    The Wrong Goodbye and other things

I jumped ahead and watched this tonight and again went looking to see if Mrs Wilson in this episode was ever credited as I think she is also Mrs Poustie of the 'proper jobby' but I cannot find anything.

But I did find a site http://www.mixbook.com/photo-books/interests/doc-martin-a-thank-you-from-the-fans-copy-2-6756054 It is not current but I think it is interesting to find other postings about the show. I have even read the comments on IMDB.

On another note - the infamous Holly (Lucy Robinson) will be in the cast of Call the Midwife for an episode this upcoming second season. She plays the matron - no name mentioned, just matron.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dmbesotted wrote: »

I jumped ahead and watched this tonight and again went looking to see if Mrs Wilson in this episode was ever credited as I think she is also Mrs Poustie of the 'proper jobby' but I cannot find anything.

But I did find a site http://www.mixbook.com/photo-books/interests/doc-martin-a-thank-you-from-the-fans-copy-2-6756054 It is not current but I think it is interesting to find other postings about the show. I have even read the comments on IMDB.

On another note - the infamous Holly (Lucy Robinson) will be in the cast of Call the Midwife for an episode this upcoming second season. She plays the matron - no name mentioned, just matron.

This mixbook was put together in 2011 by Little Guinea, who used to post here regularly and even has something in fanfiction. All of the people who wrote notes are or were regular posters on the Forum. Little Guinea, otherwise known as Nicky, presented the book to Martin Clunes during filming of S5. I think she even spent a day with Molly Bolt, who is Ben Bolt's daughter and Phillipa Braithwaite's assistant.

Like so many other former post-ers, I hope she returns for S6.
  • ConniejConniej Posts: 972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dmbesotted wrote: »

This mixbook was put together in 2011 by Little Guinea, who used to post here regularly and even has something in fanfiction. All of the people who wrote notes are or were regular posters on the Forum. Little Guinea, otherwise known as Nicky, presented the book to Martin Clunes during filming of S5. I think she even spent a day with Molly Bolt, who is Ben Bolt's daughter and Phillipa Braithwaite's assistant.

Like so many other former post-ers, I hope she returns for S6.

I bought a copy for myself. Nicky did a great job of organizing it and putting together the pictures and all of our quotes. I was thrilled that she was rewarded with some personal time with MC (as well as a hug and kiss from him)! :)

She wrote about that day here:

http://docmartinexperience.blogspot.com/
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just came across this: tips for young writers, written by Dominic Minghella, published in The Guardian last month.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/feb/13/intergenerational-foundation-film-competition-tips?CMP=twt_gu
This discussion has been closed.