Whats the best supermarket reduced bin bargin you have ever found?

EastEnders-1105EastEnders-1105 Posts: 11,022
Forum Member
✭✭
Me and my family have picked up quite a few bargins via this method.

Capri sun original price £3.00 we bought for £1.30 and nothing wrong with it just the packaging batered.
Crumpets-original £1.70 we bought them for £0.55p

And we also get lots of good stuff arround xmas too

What is the best supermarked Reduced bin bargin youve ever picked up?

Comments

• yorkiegalyorkiegal Posts: 18,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hovis best of both loafs for 3p on Xmas Eve. also trays of roast spuds in goose fat for 15p and a luxury trifle for 50p.
  • Watcher #1Watcher #1 Posts: 9,043
    Forum Member
    Whole hot cooked chickens - 10p each
  • Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bought different types of veg and various cakes for 3p and 7p...
  • felixrexfelixrex Posts: 7,307
    Forum Member
    I worked in a supermarket years ago that got closed down. We had to reduce every single thing in the building down to 1/8th of it's original price. Employees got first pick of any stock and their usual 20% discount on top of that. There wasn't a drop of alcohol left in the building after the first day of reducing.
  • trinity2002trinity2002 Posts: 16,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fresh tuna steaks for 10p.
  • christina83christina83 Posts: 11,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Olive bread for 10p.
  • Grabid RanniesGrabid Rannies Posts: 4,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wheel of blue stilton in Tesco original price £12 something, marked down to £6 something but went through till at 18p, and checkout operator refused to re-scan it because it 'stank' lol :D
    Watcher #1 wrote: »
    Whole hot cooked chickens - 10p each

I've never bought a supermarket cooked chicken myself, but I do know that anytime I've ever been around someone who's bought one (eg mainly in the office, but once or twice at home), as soon as they open the packet an eye-wateringly farty miasma is released into the room :cry:
  • CaldariCaldari Posts: 5,890
    Forum Member
    Sainsburys, a whole leg of lamb reduced from something like £21 to a couple of quid or so.
  • TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Family sized steak pies, down from £2.00 each to only 10p.

Large beef joint for 40p. Sadly, ASDA dont reduce as heavilly as they used to nowadays.
  • Watcher #1Watcher #1 Posts: 9,043
    Forum Member
    I've never bought a supermarket cooked chicken myself, but I do know that anytime I've ever been around someone who's bought one (eg mainly in the office, but once or twice at home), as soon as they open the packet an eye-wateringly farty miasma is released into the room :cry:

People take a whole chicken into the office? :confused::eek:

These were from the Co-op and free from farty miasma :)
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    I can't remember what we got but when I was about 12 I guess a shop (Mr Cool remember that) was closing down and when they only had about a half a hour to go everything left was going for something like 1p-2p as they would only have to throw it away after
  • Grabid RanniesGrabid Rannies Posts: 4,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watcher #1 wrote: »
    People take a whole chicken into the office? :confused::eek:

These were from the Co-op and free from farty miasma :)

Well I don't know to be fair, either whole or else the bags they bring in are just parts of chicken taken off the whole ones you see them prepare on the rotisserie thing in the supermarket, like I say I've never bought one so not actually sure of the quantities you can buy them in etc... I just assumed :o

Either way supermarket 'fresh roasted' chicken does unfortunately always conjure a ripe fart type smell to me upon the packet being opened, or even not necessarily being opened - occasionally if I stand next to someone in the queue who's got some, I cop the same whiff :( co-op must obviously do dainty ladylike fluff-free chickens lol :)
  • 19Nick6819Nick68 Posts: 1,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some Wilkinson Sword Hydro Razor Blades, reduced to a £1 in Wilkinsons about 18 months ago, bought 3 packs for £3. usually £6-7 a packet.

I think someone had made a mistake they had a sticker on them saying 'No space on display - reduced'. They still sell them at full price.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Safeway about 18 years ago - The random stuff bit - I got two sets of four Pasta bowls and one large serving dish for £1.99. To date both the large serving bowls are still in use and we still use the surviving six bowls from the original bargain buy. The pasta bowls are like soup plates and the serving dishes are great for salad if you are having a special sit down together family dinner.

Safeway again - a balti set with a great recipe book by Madhur Jaffrey . Cost about two quid - £1.89 or something silly like that

Guess what - Safeway ...AGAIN ! - This time it was a HUGE saute pan with a lid. This was about 15 or so years ago. This pan is the most used pan in my home. It cost less than a fiver - about £4.99. The ****ing lid got knocked on to the floor about 3 months ago and shattered.

I've not been able to find a saute pan as large.

The strange thing is - Safeway (where I live) didn't have these things on sale or anything like pots and pans on offer in the local stores. It was just food they sold. You could get a new small black handled sharp knife but there was no displays of pots, pans, or dishes. I only got my bargains in the random stuff/cut price/going cheap bit at the end of an aisle.

I miss Safeway
  • clm2071clm2071 Posts: 6,644
    Forum Member
    Local coop regularly has Pieminster pies reduced from £3.49 to 49p which I usually snap up for the feeezer.

They often reduce their fresh chicken to £1 per pack from £4 too, most of the meat I buy tends to be from the reduced section!

Asda reduces a lot of its fish and its possible to get fresh salmon fillets for less than a quid.

Recently M&S has starting reducing in the hour before it closes, I got a Tuscan sausage pizza reduced from £4.49 to £1.25 and 2 trout fillets stuffed with crab for £2 from £5.99
  • fainéantfainéant Posts: 2,654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ASDA can be very good for reductions if you happen to be there when they really slash the price and quite often have been told that they will half-price any already reduced item just by asking. Regularly can get bakery packs for 1p but best buy was packs of 3 extra large organic chicken breasts from the butcher counter for 10p each and got three packs which went into my freezer and used as required.
  • ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    A barrel, but it needed scraping out.
  • Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ænima wrote: »
    A barrel, but it needed scraping out.

I see what you did there. ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 776
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    750g Lean Steak Mince in Tesco on Boxing day £1.40
  • kiviraatkiviraat Posts: 4,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whole cooked chicken for a penny. Salmon fillets for 3p. The Tesco where I live now is more stingy than the old one though. Pity ;)
  • SomnerSomner Posts: 9,412
    Forum Member
    I once picked up a packet of Tesco Value Angel Delight, reduced to 1p..

..from 2p. :)
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't remember which supermarket this was from, but got a massive white porcelain serving bowl (like this one) for 99 pence. While waiting at check-out, I realised it was a real bargain. I went back and got three more. Served me well all these years since, but I still didn't realise how lucky I was until I tried to buy a replacement after one got broken a couple of years ago. The current price was £30.
  • zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My (friend told me about his) local Tescos MegaSupermarket which has a Restaurant place inside, and they give out free knives and forks to anyone eating there. Just buy a sandwich and pick up as many knives, forks and spoons as you like. Then once you've finished your meal you get to take them all home. QED.

[edit] allegedly.
  • tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bought a Horse for £1.99

Well admittedly it was 00.02% of a Horse.
  • SomnerSomner Posts: 9,412
    Forum Member
    zwixxx wrote: »
    My (friend told me about his) local Tescos MegaSupermarket which has a Restaurant place inside, and they give out free knives and forks to anyone eating there. Just buy a sandwich and pick up as many knives, forks and spoons as you like. Then once you've finished your meal you get to take them all home. QED.

[edit] allegedly.

I think your friend is talking bollocks.