Options

A question about BARB - consolidated viewing figures

Polly_PerkinsPolly_Perkins Posts: 21,743
Forum Member
✭✭✭
This discussion has probably come up before but I wondered how important the BARB consolidated figures are compared to overnights.

I noticed looking at the data that a show like Dallas manages about 392K at 10.55pm on Channel 5 but then once the BARB data is in, it is just over a million viewers.

That seems like quite a jump but does it mean anything?

I assumed that it came down to live viewing on a channel like 5 to keep the advertisers happy.

Is BARB data pointless for a commercial channel?

Comments

• Options
    NilremNilrem Posts: 6,940
    Forum Member
    BARB is probably more releveant for commercial channels than the likes of the BBC...

Remember that the consolidated figures include time shift, and on demand.
    Timeshift has the same chance of missing the adverts as watching live (remembering you can pause/ff/rewind on most PVR's whilst watching "live"), and on demand on most of the commercial broadcasters includes adverts inserted before/during/after the actual feature.
  • Options
    Polly_PerkinsPolly_Perkins Posts: 21,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nilrem wrote: »
    BARB is probably more releveant for commercial channels than the likes of the BBC...

Remember that the consolidated figures include time shift, and on demand.
    Timeshift has the same chance of missing the adverts as watching live (remembering you can pause/ff/rewind on most PVR's whilst watching "live"), and on demand on most of the commercial broadcasters includes adverts inserted before/during/after the actual feature.

I always assume that the majority of the added viewers come from DVR as I understand it ondemand is popular but not as big as DVR.

I always fwd though adverts on DVR.

Anyway I guess what I'm getting at is there seems to be a large spike in BARB figures for a show like Dallas. Would that have any impact on decision making?