Clockwise

Comments

• walaboobahwalaboobah Posts: 995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1996PK wrote:
    The guy who played Kevin's Dad in the Harry Enfield TV series didnt actually play him in the film, anybody know why?

The one who played his dad in the film is the one who plays Hugo in Vicar of Dibley and was one of the friends in Four Weddings and a funeral! (John someone I think)!

However, Stephen Moore, was not Kevin's original dad in Harry Enfield, he was originally played by Duncan Preston - Stan in Dinnerladies and in other Victoria Wood productions!

As for Clockwise, I loved the film - very very funny in places!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I first saw Stephen Moore playing Adrian Moles dad in The Secret Diary Of Adrian Mole Aged 13 3/4. Excellent series it was too.

I don't have the original showing of Clockwise on video but my oldest video recording is from February 1988 which was the last Channel 4 series of The Comic Strip. I have now backed it up to DVD! Does anyone have any older tv recordings?!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 186
    Forum Member
    And the confused old lady who sings at the end turned up in Fawlty Towers, in the Gourmet Evening episode, playing Mrs Hall (Mrs Small.. er Hall!)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    Great fan of this film and visited the place with the phone boxes about 10 years go. It's a little village in shropshire called Much Wenlock. The abbey is also there. The school at the start is in Birmingham. Unfortunalty where the phone boxes once stood the pub next door have extended into :cry:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    crowby1 wrote:
    I first saw Stephen Moore playing Adrian Moles dad in The Secret Diary Of Adrian Mole Aged 13 3/4. Excellent series it was too.

Surprised no-one's mentioned Penelope 'Martin!' Wilton - last seen having her head blown off in Shaun of The Dead.

I don't have the original showing of Clockwise on video but my oldest video recording is from February 1988 which was the last Channel 4 series of The Comic Strip. I have now backed it up to DVD! Does anyone have any older tv recordings?!

I've some stuff from 1982 back at my parents.... nothing exciting though
  • RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The railway station is Hull's. Not changed a bit in 20 years.

I also taped this off the telly in 1988 and think I've still got it on VHS. As for its first transmission, I'm convinced it was first shown on BBC1 on Christmas Day 1988 at about 10.20pm. I have a feeling the "main event" that year was a feature length Miss Marple. And to think people moaned about what was on offer Christmas night just gone...
  • RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was Christmas Day 1989, not 1988.

I don't have confirmation of the tranmission time, but it was a late night showing. That night, BBC1's line up was probably something like:

4.05pm Fools and Horses (would have been the Jolly Boy's Outing), which got 20m viewers

6.15pm Crocodile Dundee premiere - top rated show that Xmas, with a staggering 21m viewers

8pm Miss Marple

9.40pm In Sickness and In Health

10.10pm News

10.20pm Clockwise

http://www.offthetelly.co.uk/features/christmas/logs/1989.htm
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 469
    Forum Member
    "It's not a free, it's a study!"!!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The railway station is Hull's. Not changed a bit in 20 years.

Apparently they had to paint the phone boxes in the background red because of course phone boxes in Hull were never owned by BT and were the wrong colour
  • FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    Useless claim to fame...

I've met the actor who played the streaking kid at the start of the film (he was really about 20yo) . For some reason he thought I was an actor too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fizzbin wrote:
    Useless claim to fame...

I've met the actor who played the streaking kid at the start of the film (he was really about 20yo) . For some reason he thought I was an actor too.

Surprised you recognised him with his clothes on! ;)
  • FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    Surprised you recognised him with his clothes on! ;)
    How do you know he did have them on? :D

(he told me he was in it actually)
  • chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joan Hickson and the sherry glasses ... wonderful!

Alsion Steadman and Penelope Wilton are SO good in their supporting roles. Whatever happened to the girl? Sharon someone. The character was called Cherry, I think. All this from memory. Yes, I also remember its TV premiere. That's when christmas telly was real epic stuff! "Proper" Miss Marple on Christmas Day!! Perfection!

chuff.x.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 76
    Forum Member
    I remember being made to watch this film many times because part of the beginning was filmed in grimsby (where I live) and at the hospital around the time I was born.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    clive1975 wrote:
    Great fan of this film and visited the place with the phone boxes about 10 years go. It's a little village in shropshire called Much Wenlock. The abbey is also there. The school at the start is in Birmingham. Unfortunalty where the phone boxes once stood the pub next door have extended into :cry:

I think the school at the end is King Edward VI School Edgebaston, Birmingham.

Where the car breaks down on the verge of the dual carriageway, I travel past frequently.

According to the credits, part of it was filmed in Stourport on Severn, but I can't tell which bit.

I live in Worcester.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I live in Worcester, too!

I wonder where in Stourport the film was made. I'll have to watch it, now ...

chuff.x.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 351
    Forum Member
    I work in Stourport.....and I don't recognise it in the film.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    According to a website I found:

Filming Locations for Clockwise (1986):

Cottingham Road, Kingston upon Hull, England, UK (petrol station scene)
    Grimsby, Humberside, England, UK
    Hull Paragon railway station, Kingston upon Hull, England, UK (railway station)
    King Edward's School, Edgbaston, Birmingham, West Midlands, England, UK (headmaster conference scenes)
    Menzies High School, West Bromwich, Birmingham, West Midlands, England, UK
    Much Wenlock, Shropshire, England, UK (Telephone Box Scene)
    Shrewsbury, Shropshire, England, UK
    Stourport, Worcestershire, England, UK
    The Guild of Students, University of Birmingham, Birmingham, West Midlands, England, UK
    West Bromwich, England, UK

So we're none the wiser about Stourport! It could have been the Monastery???
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    Kiramilly wrote:

King Edward's School, Edgbaston, Birmingham, West Midlands, England, UK (headmaster conference scenes)
    The Guild of Students, University of Birmingham, Birmingham, West Midlands, England, UK

Nope, the monastary is deffinatly in Much Wenlocck, & very nice it looks to :)
  • stirlingguy1stirlingguy1 Posts: 7,038
    Forum Member
    Dave Bacon wrote: »

The petrol station on Cottingham Road has now gone and been replaced by a mcdonalds. The train station in Hull is exactly the same as it was during filming. I adore this film for its utter Britishness.

"Ah another one for Mr Stimpson"
  • orchoverorchover Posts: 1,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I adore this film for its utter Britishness.

Me too! It's not really laugh out loud funny and I find it utterly frustrating watching "Basil Fawlty" digging himself further into the mire. However, its a real treat seeing so much of the UK in the 1980s... red phone boxes and the pips, British Rail, Rover SD1 police cars... who says i'm stuck in the past?

Anybody know when it's on again? I missed it last night.
  • stirlingguy1stirlingguy1 Posts: 7,038
    Forum Member
    I adore this film!!! This site looks at the filming locations....

http://www.gloucestershireonscreen.co.uk/clockwise-john-cleese-and-art-of-film-locations

with Then and Now photos. OK, so I may be sort-of-spamming here but it would be interesting to know if anyone recognises any of the locations listed as "unknown".
  • Phoenix04Phoenix04 Posts: 969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The old lady that kept getting lost was also in Fawlty Towers "Gourmet Night" as the colonels wife, "too small and dry", as Basil thought he referred to her when asking for two small dry sherries :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great that this thread has surfaced again! 5yrs since I last posted in it, but I still love the film!
  • eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bit of trivia, Thomas Tompion (as in Thomas Tompion Comprehensive) was a British clockmaker who lived in the 1700's and is often regarded as the "father of English clockmaking".

Quite an aptly named school then. :)