Options

Henry vacuum cleaners

mike_dunnmike_dunn Posts: 374
Forum Member
Are they as good as people say? Someone we know claims to have had one 20 years and it's still working! :eek: Don't know whether to get a Hoover make, £79.99 or pay the extra for a Henry.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They are always highly rated on here. If search function worked properly you'd be able to find a lot of reviews of them on here. Alas, the search function doesn't work so well but worth a try.
  • Options
    PencilBreathPencilBreath Posts: 3,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ppl only like them because of their smiley face.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ppl only like them because of their smiley face.

Lol, doubt it's just that. :DThey say offices and shops mostly use them so they must be good.
  • Options
    Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    My Henry's still going strong after 13 years.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Silly me had this brilliant idea, to suck the big hair ball out of the bath plug-hole with our hoover which had a good suction. Brought the hair up to where I could pull it out but water must have gone in as the hoover smelt of burning and was smoking afterwards. :rolleyes: Daren't switch it on again. Wife went mad with me.:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Kiko H Fan wrote: »
    My Henry's still going strong after 13 years.

Great.
  • Options
    SigurdSigurd Posts: 26,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are always highly rated on here. If search function worked properly you'd be able to find a lot of reviews of them on here. Alas, the search function doesn't work so well but worth a try.
    The search function worked well enough for me to find the following threads within about fifteen seconds! :D

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1820839&highlight=henry
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1804066&highlight=henry
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1801146&highlight=henry
  • Options
    acoolwelshblokeacoolwelshbloke Posts: 3,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Had ours nearly eight years, still going trong even though the mrs melted his face by leaving it to close to the fire just 24 hours after buying it!
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are great for office cleaning (have used them for many years) because they are repairable, all parts can be easily sourced and replaced. How ever I don't find them particularly good as a home vac, they pick up paper clips and staples and paper really well but dog hair beats them. And as a dog owning household I prefer an upright at home. But if you don't have the hairy beasts then I am sure they would be fine.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sigurd wrote: »

Your lucky. I tried and got some error, as is common. It seems a bit hit, miss or maybe whether it works. Fortunately I could remember that Henry has been to topic of much discussion over the years. Thankfully for Henry, mostly good. :D
  • Options
    makeba72makeba72 Posts: 5,723
    Forum Member
    molliepops wrote: »
    They are great for office cleaning (have used them for many years) because they are repairable, all parts can be easily sourced and replaced. How ever I don't find them particularly good as a home vac, they pick up paper clips and staples and paper really well but dog hair beats them. And as a dog owning household I prefer an upright at home. But if you don't have the hairy beasts then I am sure they would be fine.

My elderly parents have just bought one, their first non-upright hoover, and I have to say that I agree with the above. I am really disappointed with it. It's not got great suction power and it's relatively heavy for a drag-around hoover.. And it's not good on the cat hair, either.

Overall, definitely not worth the money.
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,518
    Forum Member
    We sell Henry's, and I bought my wife one last year - they have been excellent machines, highly recommended.
  • Options
    PencilBreathPencilBreath Posts: 3,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mike_dunn wrote: »
    Lol, doubt it's just that. :DThey say offices and shops mostly use them so they must be good.

they're indestructible. the way our cleaners throw them down the stairs... any other machine would disintegrate.

the smiley face is a winner tho.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29
    Forum Member
    I've worked as a cleaner at a couple of schools and we've always used a 'Henry Vacuum'. I bought one for my home too. Easy to buy vacuum bags and any replacement parts. I like the really long electrical cord on it, very handy.
  • Options
    mourinhosmissusmourinhosmissus Posts: 5,593
    Forum Member
    mike_dunn wrote: »
    Are they as good as people say? Someone we know claims to have had one 20 years and it's still working! :eek: Don't know whether to get a Hoover make, £79.99 or pay the extra for a Henry.

I can't comment on Henrys but I would strongly advise against getting a Hoover hoover.

I bought one last year and after a few months it kept cutting out. I couldn't find the receipt to take it back and I paid cash so I couldn't even check to see exactly when I'd bought it, so I wrote to Hoover and I got a stroppy letter telling me to clean the filters, which I was doing anyway but still, I should have learnt my lesson from years ago when I had an upright Hoover which snapped in half.

I've also had very bad luck with a Hoover washing machine and a Hoover iron.

I was considering replacing my crappy Hoover with a Henry, actually.
  • Options
    Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    They are British made too, unlike that Dyson crap, the traitor.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    they're indestructible. the way our cleaners throw them down the stairs... any other machine would disintegrate.

the smiley face is a winner tho.

You know why they chuck them downstairs ? it's because they are really awkward to balance on each step, making the job quite dangerous. The related brand neumatic sorted that problem out in the 80's but because they were £10 dearer and plain grey colour,companies just didn't buy them so we are still struggling to clean flights of stairs with a round, too wide vacuum !
  • Options
    JJ75JJ75 Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a Hetty and she's good. There are two suction strengths, I use the higher one when doing the carpet and the lower one for doing the wooden floor and kitchen tiles.

There are a number of handy attachments which come with him/her, you can also buy paper hoover bags off ebay for aboit £4 for 10 - bonus ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh god, not another Henry thread, they always bring out the crazy cat lady types

I swear to god in a previous thread someone said that their Henry stares at her longingly from the landing while she hoovers the stairs.
  • Options
    Mitten KittenMitten Kitten Posts: 1,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    molliepops wrote: »

Have you got a turbo brush for yours? They are brilliant at picking up pet hair.
    http://www.henryvacs.co.uk/acatalog/Turbo_and_Airobrush_Heads.html
    I have a beige carpet and a black cat which sheds for England.:D
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't comment on Henrys but I would strongly advise against getting a Hoover hoover.

I bought one last year and after a few months it kept cutting out. I couldn't find the receipt to take it back and I paid cash so I couldn't even check to see exactly when I'd bought it, so I wrote to Hoover and I got a stroppy letter telling me to clean the filters, which I was doing anyway but still, I should have learnt my lesson from years ago when I had an upright Hoover which snapped in half.

I've also had very bad luck with a Hoover washing machine and a Hoover iron.

I was considering replacing my crappy Hoover with a Henry, actually.
    I bought an upright Hoover a few years ago. It was hopeless. If it picked up any hair or fluff this would build up in the "vortex" before the filter and block the flow of air. Consequently the Hoover would overheat and switch itself off after only a few minutes' use. I would have to clean the filter, empty the canister (which would be less than half full) and start again several times just to Hoover one room.

Eventually I got fed up and took it to the tip. I now have an AEG which is far more powerful and much quieter.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you got a turbo brush for yours? They are brilliant at picking up pet hair.

I have used them but find the upright is best for us at home, picks up far more than the airobrush ever has. Think that's because the upright beat the carpet a bit whereas the airobrush is just driven by the suction not powered to beat.
  • Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a Henry and it's the best vacuum cleaner I've ever owned.
  • Options
    JJ75JJ75 Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Ooooo intresting!!! I have dark hair and a white carpet and I shed for England :eek:

Does this include the hard floor bristley bit?
  • Options
    burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another Henry fan here. Read the other threads OP where I have slagged off the traitor Dyson.

What I like about Henry is his versatility. He can be used bagless or bagged. He can use cheap paper bags or HEPA bags. I use HEPA bags and they last months before they have to be changed. And I've got a hairy dog. (Glad I haven't got a cat:o)

And he is BRITISH!