Options

Watch gets the rights to all 5 seasons of Babylon 5

Comments

• Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I never watched it when it was first shown..........but I'm watching this time round

So far every episode has been a bit samey............someone arrives on the station to do in one of the regular cast, usually with a special power or talent

So far I'm liking the characters that we're meant to like...........Garibaldi and the Centauri Ambassador and his chum

Maybe last night was a bit different in that it left an unresolved question..............what happened to Sinclair at the end of the war, why did the Minbari surrender and what was the Minbari Ambassadors role in those events ?

Be interesting to see if that storyline continues
  • Options
    alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    I never watched it when it was first shown..........but I'm watching this time round

So far every episode has been a bit samey............someone arrives on the station to do in one of the regular cast, usually with a special power or talent

So far I'm liking the characters that we're meant to like...........Garibaldi and the Centauri Ambassador and his chum

Maybe last night was a bit different in that it left an unresolved question..............what happened to Sinclair at the end of the war, why did the Minbari surrender and what was the Minbari Ambassadors role in those events ?

Be interesting to see if that storyline continues
    Oh - that Sinclair storyline is one of the arc elements that is woven through chunks of S3 and S4... and is also part of Delenn's arc IIRC...
  • Options
    petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yeah - series 1 was a bit ... meh (heresy! :D). But it really kicked up a gear startig with S2.

So far as the actors dying. I suppose that's what happens when you consider a 25 year-old show that used age-appropriate actors, rather than having everyone from the cleaner up to the admirals as pretty, twenty-somethings. IMHO that is what gave the characters a lot of their depth and, well .... character.
  • Options
    kantbluekantblue Posts: 40
    Forum Member
    alcockell wrote: »
    Oh - that Sinclair storyline is one of the arc elements that is woven through chunks of S3 and S4... and is also part of Delenn's arc IIRC...

I think this was the first episode in which I thought there might be more to this series than I thought. I seem to recollect it wasn't mentioned in the next few episodes, but as alcockell says its one of the arc elements - and unlike some other series it will become apparent to viewers that it's not being made up as they go along. There is a really strong storyline to B5.

I watched 'Believers' the other day and I actually thought it was a good episode on second viewing.

I think it was 'Signs and Portents' when I started to get really into this series. Then of course there is 'Babylon Squared' coming up soon.

kantblue
  • Options
    petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kantblue wrote: »
    I think it was 'Signs and Portents' when I started to get really into this series. Then of course there is 'Babylon Squared' coming up soon.

kantblue
    Tip: when you get to War Without End (parts 1 & 2) in later series, record them. I needed to watch them several times to work out all the goings on.
  • Options
    Chester666666Chester666666 Posts: 9,020
    Forum Member
    petely wrote: »
    Tip: when you get to War Without End (parts 1 & 2) in later series, record them. I needed to watch them several times to work out all the goings on.

I had to rematch it all often like with signs and portents
  • Options
    fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Think I have seen about 7 episodes so far next being Deathwalker but now yet another old show I have got into this year as well as smallville which I never watched first time round.
    Maybe when am done with B5 I can give Battlestar Galactica a go to.
  • Options
    jedi mattjedi matt Posts: 1,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oh yes the Sinclair storyline i remember getting to season 2 episode 1 and thinking wait a moment where's he gone but as it continued and the way they wove his story into the arc was really gripping.
  • Options
    Logan FiveLogan Five Posts: 627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm watching it all again (I have it all on DVD anyway) It's a terrific show and one that I hope will return in the future. Still so many stories to be told. :)
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With season 1 approaching it's end, i have to say, i love this show. I think it's great. I am glad i gave it a go. I am going to stop watching and invest in the complete series with my christmas money

oh and I think Claudia Christian is absolutley brill. Susa Ivanova is already one of my fav female science ficiton women alongside the likes of Dana Scully, Aeryn Sun and Sam Carter.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I notice AD is on Film 4 at 9PM tonight its in planner the next episode I watch is Eyes though really into the show.
    Am I right in thinking you watch AD at the end?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I notice AD is on Film 4 at 9PM tonight its in planner the next episode I watch is Eyes though really into the show.
    Am I right in thinking you watch AD at the end?

No, that's a totally different film. Babylon AD is a French American Film with Vin Diesel.
  • Options
    BesterBester Posts: 9,698
    Forum Member
    oh and I think Claudia Christian is absolutley brill. Susa Ivanova is already one of my fav female science ficiton women alongside the likes of Dana Scully, Aeryn Sun and Sam Carter.

Sinclair: "Sleep well?"
    Ivanova: "Sleeping is not the problem. Waking up...that is a problem. I've always had hard time getting up when it's dark outside."
    Sinclair: "But in space it's always dark."
    Ivanova: "I know, I know...."

:D

If you already love season 1, then you'll be positively rapturous about seasons 2-4 and the end of season 5..... ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, that's a totally different film. Babylon AD is a French American Film with Vin Diesel.

Oh might delete this then as just to much other things on the planner.
  • Options
    tiger2000tiger2000 Posts: 8,541
    Forum Member
    I'm actually enjoying this run of Season 1 more then when it was originally broadcast, IIRC the scheduling was all over the place when it was first shown and seeing them stripped M-F is much better continuity wise. Unlike most shows this was has defiantly improved with time. Just a pity a HD Blu-Ray release is unlikely due to the cost.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    tiger2000 wrote: »
    Just a pity a HD Blu-Ray release is unlikely due to the cost.

Virtually impossible. At least without re-doing the VFX from scratch, which WBs will never go for.

They lost the VFX files a while ago, so they can't be re-rendered. The worst scenes are the ones where you have a mixture of CGI and live action - that's why they look so duff on the DVDs. A real shame though, JMS did a lot to future-proof the show, but ultimately this one thing limits it, severely.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is the spin-off series Crusade any good?
  • Options
    marjanglesmarjangles Posts: 9,680
    Forum Member
    Is the spin-off series Crusade any good?

There are a couple of good episodes in there but it was cancelled so early that it never really got a chance to find its feet. If I'd only seen the first 13 episodes of B5 I wouldn't be too impressed either.
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm a new viewer to B5.........

I can't remember at all why I didn't watch it first time round

But I'm glad I didn't as I prefer watching at one episode per day............that's how I watched Next Gen and DS9 when I got cable TV 20-odd years ago, again after not watching them first time round

Only 2 more episodes of series one

I'm really enjoying it........I think so far most of the storylines are pretty generic sci-fi scenarios and could have been in Next Gen or DS9

Most days someone arrives at the station with some kind of special power or talent and a grudge against a regular cast member...........standard stuff

What I like is how the man characters are world-weary cynical types, sceptical of the earth authorities and military leadership, constantly feeling put upon and browbeaten.....

I like ivanova's little under her breath rants to camera......erm, well we could do that, but then I'd have to get a shuttle, come out to your ship and rip your head off........

Jeff with all the cares of the universe all on his shoulders.....

Garibaldi slamming some guys head on the bar counter.........oops !

It's got a very different feel to the Star Trek shows
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I haven't warmed to any of the star trek shows as I have been going through all of them at the moment. I have often found other space shows like Andromeda, Babylon 5, Farscape etc for me are much better. But of course without Star trek, these shows wouldn't have happened and I do respect the legacy the franchise has had. But it's not for me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 139
    Forum Member
    What I like is how the man characters are world-weary cynical types, sceptical of the earth authorities and military leadership, constantly feeling put upon and browbeaten.....

I like ivanova's little under her breath rants to camera......erm, well we could do that, but then I'd have to get a shuttle, come out to your ship and rip your head off........

Jeff with all the cares of the universe all on his shoulders.....

Garibaldi slamming some guys head on the bar counter.........oops !

It's got a very different feel to the Star Trek shows

It was the 'grittier' (for want of a better word) way the characters and the technology were portrayed that really made B5 come alive for me. I'd always enjoyed Star Trek but it was a very clean, ordered, efficient place, very much a product of Gene Roddenberry's ideology.
    I think I'd quite like to sit down for a beer with JMS. :cool:

As for the generic sci fi episodes, don't worry, it's only setting teh scene and letting you get to know the characters, the 'story' hasn't really started yet. (OK, in retrospect it has, but you only realise that once you've seen how the later series pan out.
    Pay attention at the back, there will be questions... :D
  • Options
    zantarouszantarous Posts: 2,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The final episode of season 1 really fires home that this is something special and it was that episode that really hooked me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Signs & Portents > Babylon Squared > Chrysalis

If you're not blown away by that triumvirate of episodes then you might as well give up. Season 1 was hit and miss for me, but getting that triple whammy towards the end of the season elevated the show to 'must watch', and it never left that space until it finished.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I got the complete series for xmas

It is a great little box. You get all 5 seasons, the spin-off and even the movies that aired before, during and after the series's run. It's rare you get everything in one sitting, especially a spin-off
  • Options
    Forum Member
    From memory, there were two versions of the 'complete' set, one which included The Lost Tales, and one that didn't. If you have the former set then you do indeed get everything, which considering how much that is, is a bargain!

In terms of the spinoffs, Crusade was interesting, cut down just as it was about to get really interesting. Legend of the Rangers, was pretty poor IMO. The Lost Tales is a pair of vignettes from the core series. The first is a bit meh, the second, is a decent Sheridan minisode. JMS had planned on doing more of those, but WBs were a bit stingy with the $$$ and Joe decided not to do them if he couldn't do them right. A shame, from memory the next ones were a Londo story, a Garibaldi story, and I think a Bester story.

Enjoy the set, it's brilliant. :)