Using Windows Task Manager

lordOfTimelordOfTime Posts: 22,367
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have a netbook with Windows 7 with 1GB of memory. So it's quite a slow system as I have a few programs I need for my web design work and various other things on it.

The browser I use the most is Firefox. The thing about browsers is the longer you use them, the more RAM packet space they take up.And with Firefox it doesn't always release the RAM space instantly so I've ended up putting Task Manager on my task Bar so I can instantly removeFirefox from RAM list. But does this have an abject affect on the system as a whole?

For instance, I'm typing this message into Firefox and I only see the first couple of lines as I'm doing so because the response is so slow. Do I need to redownload Firefox and stop relying on the Task manager so much?

Thanks. :)

Comments

• RoushRoush Posts: 4,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What version of Firefox are you using? It has a long history of memory management bugs.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lordOfTime wrote: »
    I have a netbook with Windows 7 with 1GB of memory. So it's quite a slow system as I have a few programs I need for my web design work and various other things on it.

The browser I use the most is Firefox. The thing about browsers is the longer you use them, the more RAM packet space they take up.And with Firefox it doesn't always release the RAM space instantly so I've ended up putting Task Manager on my task Bar so I can instantly removeFirefox from RAM list. But does this have an abject affect on the system as a whole?

For instance, I'm typing this message into Firefox and I only see the first couple of lines as I'm doing so because the response is so slow. Do I need to redownload Firefox and stop relying on the Task manager so much?

Why are you killing Firefox with Task manager? That should be the option of last resort if a programme crashes and cannot be closed in the normal manner using the red X button.
  • LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member

I wouldn't think a netbook with 1 GB RAM is capable of your web design work never mind anything else on top. Closing firefox.exe will I suppose free up some RAM for other programs but you don't really have enough to start with.
    Stopping programs from running at startup will use less RAM. Firefox on this P4 with 2GB RAM is currently using 307MB, it is high but runs OK.
  • lordOfTimelordOfTime Posts: 22,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LION8TIGER wrote: »
    I wouldn't think a netbook with 1 GB RAM is capable of your web design work never mind anything else on top. Closing firefox.exe will I suppose free up some RAM for other programs but you don't really have enough to start with.
    Stopping programs from running at startup will use less RAM. Firefox on this P4 with 2GB RAM is currently using 307MB, it is high but runs OK.

I should clarify that I don't use Photoshop or the Adobe Suite programs on it but code updates, blogging, writing,uploading files, keeping up with email... things I can do when I'm not at my desktop.

Using Task manager has become a habit, because the instance of Firefox is invariably still open and using RAM even if it is not visible on the screen.

I have Firefox 26, the latest version.
  • LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    I should clarify that I don't use Photoshop or the Adobe Suite programs on it but code updates, blogging, writing,uploading files, keeping up with email... things I can do when I'm not at my desktop.

Using Task manager has become a habit, because the instance of Firefox is invariably still open and using RAM even if it is not visible on the screen.

I have Firefox 26, the latest version.

Oh I see what you mean now, yes Firefox does that but usually for maybe 5-10 seconds after its closed, it seems to be improved for me, it certainly doesn't do it everytime I close it down (I'd guess 20% of the time) it was worse (longer and more frequent) and I woud have to resort to task manager to end process but that stopped a few updates ago.
  • thisthis Posts: 296
    Forum Member
    Hi if you have a usb stick and it's fast enough you could use ready boost it may well help you out, if you're unsure google ready boost at 1GB ram i'm sure you'll feel a boost. hth
  • evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    Just an idea, but why don't you use Ready Boost to increase your RAM. MS recommend using 4 x installed RAM, so a 4GB flash drive in your case would do it. OK, it won't be anything like as fast as a RAM chip but it'll save the hard disk being used. It'll be cheap to try though so why not give it a go.

Make sure you buy a drive that can be used for this purpose and I've read an online techy discussion where some contributors thought it would considerably shorten the life of the drive, although no data to back this claim up, so perhaps only use it with Firefox and see how you get on.

All the details on this MS W7 page: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/using-memory-storage-device-speed-computer#1TC=windows-7

Edit: Sorry 'this' I didn't see your post about Ready Boost when I posted. It wasn't there when I first looked at the thread and then I was away researching and then composing my post.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LION8TIGER wrote: »
    Oh I see what you mean now, yes Firefox does that but usually for maybe 5-10 seconds after its closed, it seems to be improved for me, it certainly doesn't do it everytime I close it down (I'd guess 20% of the time) it was worse (longer and more frequent) and I woud have to resort to task manager to end process but that stopped a few updates ago.

Also the endless plugin handlers and flash instances and be responsible for causing as much RAM upheaval as Firefox itself. Constant headache.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    evil c wrote: »
    Just an idea, but why don't you use Ready Boost to increase your RAM. MS recommend using 4 x installed RAM, so a 4GB flash drive in your case would do it. OK, it won't be anything like as fast as a RAM chip but it'll save the hard disk being used. It'll be cheap to try though so why not give it a go.

Make sure you buy a drive that can be used for this purpose and I've read an online techy discussion where some contributors thought it would considerably shorten the life of the drive, although no data to back this claim up, so perhaps only use it with Firefox and see how you get on.

All the details on this MS W7 page: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/using-memory-storage-device-speed-computer#1TC=windows-7

Cheers for that :)

I have 16th and 32gb drive so I pack all the stuff I can into that? :)

Anyway will look in the morning
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have an 8GB flash drive that I've cleared out, looking forward to seeing what difference, if any it makes. :)
  • evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    Let me know if it works. The first ranked answer on the page here suggests that it becomes more effective on programs the longer it is used: http://superuser.com/questions/3227/does-windows-readyboost-have-a-meaningful-impact-on-performance
  • TiexenTiexen Posts: 602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CC Cleaner will clear the Firefox Cache

https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

CCleaner is our system optimization, privacy and cleaning tool. It removes unused files from your system - allowing Windows to run faster and freeing up valuable hard disk space.

It also cleans traces of your online activities such as your Internet history. Additionally it contains a fully featured registry cleaner. But the best part is that it's fast (normally taking less than a second to run) and contains NO Spyware or Adware!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tiexen wrote: »

CCleaner is our system optimization, privacy and cleaning tool. It removes unused files from your system - allowing Windows to run faster and freeing up valuable hard disk space.

It also cleans traces of your online activities such as your Internet history. Additionally it contains a fully featured registry cleaner. But the best part is that it's fast (normally taking less than a second to run) and contains NO Spyware or Adware!

Hi Tiexen,

I have Cccleaner and did a round of scans and registry cleanup last night. But I couldn't find anything that cleaned up Firefox cache or files, only internet explorer.
  • Mr DosMr Dos Posts: 3,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It also cleans traces of your online activities such as your Internet history. Additionally it contains a fully featured registry cleaner.

The registry does not need cleaning or 'optimizing'. At best deleting registry entries will do nothing. At worst it will stop your pc from booting. A registry 'cleaner' cannot possibly make a pc run faster, but it can break it.

Also re : CCleaner removing traces of online activities - IE used to use index.dat to store online info, and CCleaner could delete that file. Since IE10 it now uses a file called WebCacheV01.dat which CCleaner cannot erase.
  • TiexenTiexen Posts: 602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi Tiexen,

I have Cccleaner and did a round of scans and registry cleanup last night. But I couldn't find anything that cleaned up Firefox cache or files, only internet explorer.

Look for the "Applications" tab for Firefox settings
  • Rick_DavisRick_Davis Posts: 1,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You have a netbook?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Look for the "Applications" tab for Firefox settings

What happened was yesterday when I saw the Applications tab nothing sowed up in the space, so I moved on.

Sadly it doesn't seem to have made any difference so far to the text responsiveness. I've done CCleaner, a virus scan and redownloaded Firefox.

Firefox has just had a mega hissy fit over going through all the downloading it takes just to make this posting page.. I'm hoping the improvements are yet to come because there;s been no difference yet. :(
    Rick_Davis wrote: »
    You have a netbook?

Clearly. :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Firefox doesn't seem to be getting any better. It's still filling up with endless copies of the plugin container and instances of Flash and of various RAM sizes as well.

It froze several times and took and age to clear from task manager when I tried to quit.

But my question.... Is there anything inherently wrong that causes system instability when you try and close programs using task manager? :blush:
  • barkingboybarkingboy Posts: 325
    Forum Member
    Firefox can use a lot of RAM especially if you have many addons installed and open up several tabs. I've seen it reach 1.8GB before. Plus, even if you close tabs Firefox doesn't release the memory very quickly.

Anyway, I use this Memory Restart plugin that shows you how much memory is being used and lets you easily restart Firefox. This recovers any unused memory that is being hogged from closed tabs etc.