ED: Do You Think Priya Should Have A Heart Attack??

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 192
Forum Member
The Priya pregnancy and anorexia s/l could have been interesting but now I find it becoming more of the same old, same old. How many times will we see her taking a mouthful of food then sticking her fingers down her throat? Am I the only who doesn't see where this could be heading other then her having either a stillborn or premature baby??:confused:

So far we have Priya and her past history with anorexia that only her brother Jai knew about, which I find puzzling to say the least. How in heavens name could a teenage girl hide that from her parents?? What planet were they living on that they never noticed their overweight daughter suddenly becoming extremely slim?? :confused:

But now the secret is out of the bag and the doctors and family know, then what happens? Pretty much nothing from the medical professionals, where all sorts of alarm bells should be ringing, all they do is tell her to go to a counsellor, and physically she is fine? From what I see, she hasn't eaten a thing in months and runs at least 5 miles everyday and has only fainted the once. How unrealistic is this? I've done 24 hour fasts for charity and there is no way you could go weeks without food and run as well even without being pregnant! And nothing showing up in blood tests that would show something amiss is beyond belief!!:o

As well as that, it isn't just her that would and should go to counselling. Her family don't know the first thing about it or how to handle it, so now what we see is all of them treating her like a 5 year old, patting her on the head when she eats a mouthful and standing outside the bathroom door "listening". The are completely clueless and the doctors should have had a group chat with all of them to explain things to them. This is an insidious disease that affects the mind and body, and so far the writers have handled it terribly. I would love to see a really shocking scene with Georgia walking into her room as she was getting dressed and seeing her back with bones portruding, obviously using a stand in as while the actress is petite, I don't think she is abnormally thin for her height and build. The only good scene so far was when she let her guard down in front of Jai showing what a struggle it was for her to eat, but even he seems to think now that everyone else knows, it will be okay!

At this point, with her not having eaten for approximaly 3/4 months, there should be more physical signs, bad skin, under eye shadows and maybe hair loss. But the one thing that will happen is damage to the heart muscle which can lead to a cardiac arrest, often fatal. There have been several models in just the last few years that have died like this, but probably the most famous case was the late singer, Karen Carpenter.:(

So, would it be a good idea for the writers to make this s/l a stronger one then it seems to be at the moment and have Priya suffer some sort of cardiac arrest or heart problems that would shock her and the audience into realising what damage can be caused by this horrible disease??:(

Thoughts anyone and apologies for the long post!:)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    the s/l is getting boring now..like you say same old same old..they are all thick not to notice that every time she finishes her meal, off she pops to the toilet..( ok the dad listens outside the door but she still puked up) and in the hedge when her mum passed by in the car ..also how long far gone is Priya pregnant ?
  • GlendarrochGlendarroch Posts: 20,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In my experience loved ones don't always realise hoarded bad mental health problems are. They probably excused her weight loss as a teenager putting it down to her dieting, taking more exercise and losing puppy fat. She might not have been as fat as she was making out, so maybe there wasn't all that drastic a loss to notice. Rishi and Georgia were probably very busy and just didn't notice.
  • puppetangelpuppetangel Posts: 2,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's endangering another life..but because its not born it has no legal status.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 192
    Forum Member
    Orangemaid wrote: »
    the s/l is getting boring now..like you say same old same old..they are all thick not to notice that every time she finishes her meal, off she pops to the toilet..( ok the dad listens outside the door but she still puked up) and in the hedge when her mum passed by in the car ..also how long far gone is Priya pregnant ?

I think she is over 4 months by now, although you wouldn't know it to look at her.:)

I just thought a heart attack or heart problems would be an interesting and shocking way to go with this important s/l which is getting boring now.:(
  • Janet PlankJanet Plank Posts: 10,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A very interesting post MagentaMoons. It could have been a good storyline if anyone had made the effort to research it. Anorexia is a mental issue and I think that by now her doctor/midwifer would have been very concerned, not only for her health but for the health of the baby. Priya is an adult and it is her privilege to refuse help, but the baby must be saved. Reading similar cases in the newspapers, it is possible that Priya would be sectioned and the baby delivered by Caesarian section as soon as it is safe to do so. Social Services would then take the baby into care. But this is soapland, so who knows what the outcome will be.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 192
    Forum Member
    This could have been a very strong s/l about eating disorders and instead seems to have turned into a non-story.:( Priya, after not eating anything at all apparently for 4/5 months and yet is still standing, has suddenly realised she needs help and will be cured no doubt in a rehab facility somewhere. And she still looks as pretty as ever, albeit with a little under eye shadow just to show how "ill" she's been.:confused:

So instead of a strong s/l we have the endless shag-a-thon of either Debbie, Charity or Chastity Dingle, take your pick, and Eric crying for the millionth time over his "love", Val!:cry::cry: The writers missed a trick with this one I think and it could have been handled much more powerfully! I can't imagine they did any research at all into anorexia/bulimia the way this s/l has been treated.>:(

Unless something happens during the birth, it seems this problem is solved, if only it was so easy to cure in real life!:(
  • dd68dd68 Posts: 17,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No way, far too traumatic
  • Kim_xKim_x Posts: 3,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't she like 6 months gone?
  • Sal*UKSal*UK Posts: 335
    Forum Member
    This could have been a very strong s/l about eating disorders and instead seems to have turned into a non-story.:( Priya, after not eating anything at all apparently for 4/5 months and yet is still standing, has suddenly realised she needs help and will be cured no doubt in a rehab facility somewhere. And she still looks as pretty as ever, albeit with a little under eye shadow just to show how "ill" she's been.:confused:

So instead of a strong s/l we have the endless shag-a-thon of either Debbie, Charity or Chastity Dingle, take your pick, and Eric crying for the millionth time over his "love", Val!:cry::cry: The writers missed a trick with this one I think and it could have been handled much more powerfully! I can't imagine they did any research at all into anorexia/bulimia the way this s/l has been treated.>:(

Unless something happens during the birth, it seems this problem is solved, if only it was so easy to cure in real life!:(

Great post :) With the number of people (both male and female) suffering with various types of body dysmorphia they could have make a brilliant storyline of this - instead it has become a boring trivial thing.