Sky & Ch5 two fingers to Freeview HD viewers?

copiermancopierman Posts: 342
Forum Member
With the increase in HD capability on Freeview with Com7 & Com8 multiplexes available on the MAIN UK transmitters is it about time CH5 & SKY stopped putting two fingers up to Freeview viewers.
The main Broadcasters eg; BBC, ITV, CH4 now all broadcast HD on their prime (or all of their channels in the case of the BBC). This now seems to put Sky and CH5 to shame with their approach of "If you want HD you have go to pay us for it" and screwing every last penny out of its viewers.
Sky should at least broadcast it's News Channel in HD on the Freeview platform and give something back in return for the cash the main networks gave them to show their channels on the Sky platform.

Comments

• clewsyclewsy Posts: 4,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why? What use is Sky News HD? It would be more use to have 4 non shopping proper content sd channels in its place. That is the real threat to sky as if people feel the FTA offering is decent some won't pay for the alternative.
  • soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree that Channel 5 as a PSB should at least have to make Ch 5 HD available FTA. Sky on the other hand have no obligation and personally, I don't see much value in having a News channel in HD.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 115
    Forum Member
    The only way to get what you want is to break the Sky monopoly. As has been said, more choice will achieve this. As Sky becomes less valuable to broadcasters they will see other revenue streams such as Freeview as more attractive, especially if Freeview carrier costs go down.
  • AngusMastAngusMast Posts: 5,153
    Forum Member
    I suppose a good idea for Sky is to get Pick+1 and Challenge+1 on COM7, cheap to do, advertises Sky every break of course and detracts from Freeview HD.
  • Colin_LondonColin_London Posts: 12,714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Channel 5 has been sticking 2 fingers up to Freeview HD every since they started applying for and turning down capacity on BBC B (i.e. time wasting). They prefer to take Skys money.

Sky still see HD as a USP which they want people to pay (them) for. They are not going to do anything to help rival platforms get more HD content - they are probably quite enjoying the fact that Freeview HD has limited content provision.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its not HD provision that most people want. It's more channels. Just look how people choose sky for more channels - even though they don't watch half of them.

Freeview is getting there. The movie channels are starting to appear and well if some sports content starts to appear, the sky bubble will begin to burst.

It needs someone like discovery to take Eurosport FTA and just watch the whole freeview bubble grow. However a few HD versions of what people already have isn't really a selling point to most viewers.
  • anthony davidanthony david Posts: 14,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Channel 5 has been sticking 2 fingers up to Freeview HD every since they started applying for and turning down capacity on BBC B (i.e. time wasting). They prefer to take Skys money.

Sky still see HD as a USP which they want people to pay (them) for. They are not going to do anything to help rival platforms get more HD content - they are probably quite enjoying the fact that Freeview HD has limited content provision.

Channel 5 is up for sale by Desmond so no changes likely at present. Sadly looking at the ITV/ITVHD viewing figures on the BARB website you can see why he hasn't bothered with HD yet.

You are right about Sky, if the BBC is forced to go subscription their free output, if any, will be similar including loss of service from most relay stations.
  • David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if bbc goes subscription there wont b any reason for people to choose it over sky. it will just give a great number of people the chance to opt out of bbc. add to this few freeview boxes, freeview tvs, freesat boxes have no way to take a card, most would b obsolete for bbc subscription use. new boxes or new tvs at our own costs would b needed to use bbc subscription. but, people with sky boxes or cable boxes could simply add bbc to their current cards overnight.

in both cases, the sky and cable pay platforms have the advantage. imo the bbc would b doomed.
  • BizmanBizman Posts: 749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    clewsy wrote: »
    Its not HD provision that most people want. It's more channels.
    I disagree, I think it is better content that people really want and they think that by having a wider choice of channels there is a better chance of getting it. Sadly on Freeview, whenever a new channel appears it is often stuffed with the same old dross that we have had to put up with on other channels.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bizman wrote: »
    I disagree, I think it is better content that people really want and they think that by having a wider choice of channels there is a better chance of getting it. Sadly on Freeview, whenever a new channel appears it is often stuffed with the same old dross that we have had to put up with on other channels.

Yes but "what they think" is what sells it. Sky have used that model for years and charged a lot of money for more channels - same rubbish.
  • Dansky+HDDansky+HD Posts: 9,806
    Forum Member
    Channel 5 is up for sale by Desmond so no changes likely at present. Sadly looking at the ITV/ITVHD viewing figures on the BARB website you can see why he hasn't bothered with HD yet.

You are right about Sky, if the BBC is forced to go subscription their free output, if any, will be similar including loss of service from most relay stations.

That's because on Virgin & Sky ITV HD is not on 103 yet.

A massive rise will occur when the channel number changes!!!

A disproportionate service is needed where HD is available to drive up
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course if they wanted to really take away the HD USP - simply scrap the SD versions and pop the HD version in their main channel spot.
  • marria01marria01 Posts: 437
    Forum Member
    David (2) wrote: »
    if bbc goes subscription there wont b any reason for people to choose it over sky. it will just give a great number of people the chance to opt out of bbc. add to this few freeview boxes, freeview tvs, freesat boxes have no way to take a card, most would b obsolete for bbc subscription use. new boxes or new tvs at our own costs would b needed to use bbc subscription. but, people with sky boxes or cable boxes could simply add bbc to their current cards overnight.

in both cases, the sky and cable pay platforms have the advantage. imo the bbc would b doomed.

This is exactly the reason why the BBC won't go subscription only. Until terrestrial becomes the smallest viewing platform behind online, I doubt they'd consider encryption. Until then, if they really are hell-bent on scrapping the licence fee, I think it's more likely the funding will come from direct taxation and will go to all the PSBs instead of just the BBC. It'll still result in less income for the BBC, though.

...and FWIW, anyone who actually says they really don't watch BBC content and all their favourite shows are on $ky, please, don't breed. Just stick to reading the Daily Fail... ;-)
  • coopermanyorkscoopermanyorks Posts: 21,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another freeview customer wanting something without paying for ?
  • marria01marria01 Posts: 437
    Forum Member
    Another freeview customer wanting something without paying for ?

If you're referring to me? Nope, quite happy with the material paid for by my licence fee + a smattering of content provided by the other advertising funded PSB's. Sky's a bit 'council house content' for me, thanks.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,345
    Forum Member
    C5 HD is long overdue somewhere, and if they don't fancy spending too much then COM7 or COM8 are the obvious choices. I know C5 had some Sky exclusive HD broadcasting contract obligation for a certain period, but that must have expired by now I'd hope.

Even with two SD streams on COM7, there is still full capacity for a fifth HD stream on it judging by the bitrates in use on it. Whilst I'd rather have C5 HD go on PSB3, COM7 would be the next best thing (and would probably save them a little money due to reduced coverage).

We've got COM8 as well coming online over the next few months... it has to be filled with something. A few weeks ago I saw a test signal for it one day from Pontop Pike so the equipment is in place there, it seems a shame not to use it. I'm a bit confused as whether it will provide another five or six HD channels (of what?) or another fifteen or twenty SD channels (of shopping/advertising channels?).
  • gottagogottago Posts: 14,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PrinceGaz wrote: »
    C5 HD is long overdue somewhere, and if they don't fancy spending too much then COM7 or COM8 are the obvious choices. I know C5 had some Sky exclusive HD broadcasting contract obligation for a certain period, but that must have expired by now I'd hope.
    I doubt it, the deal only happened recently.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gottago wrote: »

I was reported 5 years at the time - or shall I say someone posted this was the standard length of such deals.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its not HD provision that most people want. It's more channels. Just look how people choose sky for more channels
    And by the same token, look how people subscribe to the Sky HD channels.

People might want better quality

People might want better content.

All of which (including your unsourced assertion) is purely anecdotal of course.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think they subscribe for Channel 5 HD though or even the odd channel. Its the package of channels in HD that sells it or how sky sell it.
  • M60M60 Posts: 5,595
    Forum Member
    gottago wrote: »

My suspicion is that Sky probably wanted out on FTV terms as were in effect subsidising C5's RedBee HD sole playout as well as the usual free carriage deal. They possibly told C5 that to continue, whether tied in to a new deal or not (for which we don't know) they would have to go behind the paywall which C5 did as Desmond didn't want to fork out dosh to fund it all himself. He's probably pissed off that the BBC nabbed LCN 105 on DTT but what do you expect when he's messed DMOL, Ofcom, the BBC and Freeview around three times in the past!
  • DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    David (2) wrote: »

And you have just stated the very reason why the BBC couldnt go subscription! there would be an uproar as a lot of people wouldnt want to get Sky or Cable on principle and they may very well still want the BBC!
    Also freeview and freesat would kick up a huge stink!
    We could also loose freeview and freesat, as they might become obsolete if the BBC can no longer be on them!
    I think it would be one of the most unpopular move any UK government could make to make the BBC subscription!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why? What use is Sky News HD? It would be more use to have 4 non shopping proper content sd channels in its place.
    Sky news HD would be no less pointless than CBBC HD, do 6 year olds really need to see scooby doo in HD?
  • 1andrew11andrew1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lotrjw wrote: »
    And you have just stated the very reason why the BBC couldnt go subscription! there would be an uproar as a lot of people wouldnt want to get Sky or Cable on principle and they may very well still want the BBC!
    Also freeview and freesat would kick up a huge stink!
    We could also loose freeview and freesat, as they might become obsolete if the BBC can no longer be on them!
    I think it would be one of the most unpopular move any UK government could make to make the BBC subscription!
    I think the idea's a no-goer at the moment. In one way, encryption is getting easier as the EC mandates that all 32" TVs or larger have to have a CAM slot in them now and has done for some time. In another way, it's getting harder as TV content is now watched on a multitude of devices.
  • anthony davidanthony david Posts: 14,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1andrew1 wrote: »
    I think the idea's a no-goer at the moment. In one way, encryption is getting easier as the EC mandates that all 32" TVs or larger have to have a CAM slot in them now and has done for some time. In another way, it's getting harder as TV content is now watched on a multitude of devices.

If the BBC goes subscription you will need a dedicated box/recorder tied to a phone line or broadband connection for system security just like Sky. After what happened to OnDigital no one will ever trust CAM slots.