Options

Is 'Who Killed Lucy?' the plot to get EastEnders back on top?

boogie woogieboogie woogie Posts: 16,443
Forum Member
✭✭
There's a real buzz being generated around this storyline at the moment, with many viewers intrigued as to what will happen the long standing character. Given that it'll be a long running arc taking us right upto the show's 30th anniversary next February, will it be enough to boost viewers? Given that it's quite a central character from one of the show's biggest families will people get on board or is it still too early in DTC's tenure?

Comments

• Options
    MattehhhftwMattehhhftw Posts: 8,688
    Forum Member
    I think it will, everyone can agree the show is in a much better place at the minute and with Corrie getting worse, EE will soon be the #1 soap come the 30th anniversary.
  • Options
    TheGraduate2012TheGraduate2012 Posts: 14,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it will definitely help but, at the same time, killing off a Beale reeks of desperate, ratings-pulling sensationalism.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it will definitely help but, at the same time, killing off a Beale reeks of desperate, ratings-pulling sensationalism.

I think it's quite a brave move killing off such a big character. DTC has said that the show needed its balls back and that's exactly what he's doing here. I also reckon that the writers will do the plot justice in terms of its emotional fallout. They really want to explore the effects upon the wider community here which will set the storyline apart IMO.
  • Options
    dan2008dan2008 Posts: 37,281
    Forum Member
    Disagree. Newman and Kirkwood played it safe (Minus the killing of Pat but Pam left anyway) this storyline will see a Character with a lot of history be killed off.
    The affects can be felt for many years to come. It's a great way to have some of the biggest characters and the main family in the show take centre stage for the big 30
    as well as giving EastEnders a bit of hype and getting it talked about along the way.
    No I don't think the death episode (which seems to be Good Friday) will see much (if any) boost in the overnight ratings but the Officials should see a nice jump.
    Monday will be higher and I fully expect the Tuesday episode to get the highest rating for sometime.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think it's quite a brave move killing off such a big character. DTC has said that the show needed its balls back and that's exactly what he's doing here. I also reckon that the writers will do the plot justice in terms of its emotional fallout. They really want to explore the effects upon the wider community here which will set the storyline apart IMO.
    This :)
    I would much prefer the EP taking risks than playing it safe and imo it works wonders.
  • Options
    Max LoveMax Love Posts: 358
    Forum Member
    Poor Lucy. What they should. Will fat boy have a drug storyline now?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The appointment of DTC has proven phenomenonal in terms of the quality of feedback he's been getting. It's been quite a while since I've seen any new producer get this level of acclaim. He understands the show and respects its rich history. The BBC needed someone at the helm to get EastEnders back on top and I'd say that so far they're succeeding.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The appointment of DTC has proven phenomenonal in terms of the quality of feedback he's been getting. It's been quite a while since I've seen any new producer get this level of acclaim. He understands the show and respects its rich history. The BBC needed someone at the helm to get EastEnders back on top and I'd say that so far they're succeeding.
    I agree. I think every soap needs an EP that understands the show and wants what is best for it.
    DTC is not afraid to take a risk and he has no problem with axing Characters either.
    He knew characters like Carl White and Sam James were very unpopular with viewers so he got rid.
  • Options
    MrJamesMrJames Posts: 8,127
    Forum Member
    Ratings-wise, I think we are stuck where we are for the foreseeable future.

In terms of quality, EastEnders is already the best and the Lucy story will push it further.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think DTC could've been even braver and killed off Ian, personally. What is the real point in killing off Lucy? She should be left on the show to continue on the Beales with Peter and Cindy. If they had killed Ian it would've been even more headline grabbing but would've allowed the Beales to carry on. I bet you all that will happen now is that Peter will leave in a year or two, and then probably Cindy, leaving Ian the last remaining Beale, along with his latest wife.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dan2008 wrote: »
    Disagree. Newman and Kirkwood played it safe (Minus the killing of Pat but Pam left anyway) this storyline will see a Character with a lot of history be killed off.
    The affects can be felt for many years to come. It's a great way to have some of the biggest characters and the main family in the show take centre stage for the big 30
    as well as giving EastEnders a bit of hype and getting it talked about along the way.
    No I don't think the death episode (which seems to be Good Friday) will see much (if any) boost in the overnight ratings but the Officials should see a nice jump.
    Monday will be higher and I fully expect the Tuesday episode to get the highest rating for sometime.

Well Newman didn't even play it safe, she actually worsened the show's quality substantially.

I think, as I've said somewhere futher up, that Ian should've been killed. It would've been better for the 30th anniversary as well. I just think the killing of a younger character is a bit ratings-grabbing, to be honest, especially a pretty young woman. It's all for shock factor.

As for ratings, I'm worried they won't be up anyway, as the death and aftermath episode are over the Easter weekend. I wonder if casual viewers will actually bother tuning in, or remember to?
  • Options
    priscillapriscilla Posts: 34,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope the aftermath is better than the build up, also having to wait a whole yr for the reveal, hopefully they sl doesn't just go into the background only for it to be picked up again two weeks before the reveal.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    priscilla wrote: »
    I hope the aftermath is better than the build up, also having to wait a whole yr for the reveal, hopefully they sl doesn't just go into the background only for it to be picked up again two weeks before the reveal.

I can't believe how ridiculously rushed the build up has been. Lucy starts seeing Max, like, two weeks before:confused: And now this rush of cheesy red-herrings in the space of a week or so. They could've done six months either end of the murder.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    priscilla wrote: »

They'll probably have the plot simmering away on the back burner for the remainder of the year. Other plots will come to the forefront at various stages but I reckon the writers will skilfully revisit it at certain points, giving us fragments of info, red herrings and clues at various points.
  • Options
    priscillapriscilla Posts: 34,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't believe how ridiculously rushed the build up has been. Lucy starts seeing Max, like, two weeks before:confused: And now this rush of cheesy red-herrings in the space of a week or so. They could've done six months either end of the murder.
    Yes, I wish they had shown why Lucy is suddenly behaving like this, instead of all that crap with marketgate and Danny stuff, we could have seen Lucy's desperation to make her business work etc.
    They'll probably have the plot simmering away on the back burner for the remainder of the year. Other plots will come to the forefront at various stages but I reckon the writers will skilfully revisit it at certain points, giving us fragments of info, red herrings and clues at various points.

That would be good, I hope they do it like that.
  • Options
    spungerspunger Posts: 2,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It might give a small boost on the night but that's about it. Mind you CS ratings aren't that great and ED's are pretty poor now. All the big soaps are going through a really poor patch at the same time which is a bit unusual.
  • Options
    DEADLY_17DEADLY_17 Posts: 9,262
    Forum Member
    spunger wrote: »
    It might give a small boost on the night but that's about it. Mind you CS ratings aren't that great and ED's are pretty poor now. All the big soaps are going through a really poor patch at the same time which is a bit unusual.

It is odd i mean EE is averaging just over 6-7 million ? I think alot of people now watch when they want to watch I watch EE Live on BBCi player but most times i just catch it on iplayer when I'm back from work.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Viewing habits have changed a lot in the past five years. Many people now have more opportunities to catch their soaps on demand with I-Player, YouTube and so forth. Trends have changed, which is why BARB should be including recordings and I-Player downloads on their final figures.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I tend to agree with this unfortunately - and also that killing off Ian would have been far more daring and adventurous to have gone through with IMO. Kirkwood almost did it during his tenure - he had plans too.

It'll be interesting to see how it all plays out however, further down the line and up towards February - I can't remember the last time there was an EE SL which had the show potentially at the top of its game like this is penned to.

So in answer to the OP's question; "Who Killed Lucy?" could well put EE back on top - and it is certainly designed and plotted to, IMO.
  • Options
    Shazla09Shazla09 Posts: 29,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No unfortunately
  • Options
    alias aliasalias alias Posts: 8,824
    Forum Member
    No i find it all a bit dull really, they could have at least had her first or second Husband murder her.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The question was asked who kills Lucy on the front of a soap magazine I saw today.

Ian Beale had a big smirk on his face......What's all that about ??????:confused:
  • Options
    big danbig dan Posts: 7,878
    Forum Member
    I don't know if it will really make that much impact on the casual viewer? It has potential to be a good story (although the build up has been dire.. only 2 weeks worth fgs!) but I'm not
    entirely convinced it'll bring in the masses. I personally think we could well be looking at it's current ratings level on a permanent basis. For
    a start we need more of December/Jan/Feb quality again.. what on Earth has happened lately?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    big dan wrote: »
    I don't know if it will really make that much impact on the casual viewer? It has potential to be a good story (although the build up has been dire.. only 2 weeks worth fgs!) but I'm not
    entirely convinced it'll bring in the masses. I personally think we could well be looking at it's current ratings level on a permanent basis. For
    a start we need more of December/Jan/Feb quality again.. what on Earth has happened lately?
    Tonight was nothing short of Drivel.
    Tuesday was ok and Monday so so but on the whole the show has been great.
    Tonight was by far the worst episode Dom has done though.
  • Options
    johnny_dolejohnny_dole Posts: 2,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    to me lucy died when they replaced an awesome actress with the current one, so no big deal but yeah, seems a bit sensationalist but what soap isnt (anyone here seen hollyoaks?):p