Options

PC, Console or Both

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I play both, but to be fair the most modern game that I have for the PC is 4 years old. On my defence I only bought it Christmas last year.
    There isn't even an argument.

The argument room is over there. :p
  • Options
    whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My PC does a lot more than just gaming.
  • Options
    MythicaMythica Posts: 3,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lets not forget, while it's true that PC offers better graphics, you need to spend to get to that point. I'm guessing the vast majority of PC/laptop owners won't have a system that is capable of running graphics any better or as good as the current generation of consoles.
  • Options
    Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just consoles,
    tried PC gaming 10 years ago only to find the memory was inadequate.

The advantage PC's have over consoles is better priced software and better smoother graphics if the initial spend is over £600.
    Can't be bothered anymore.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What does inadequate memory mean?
  • Options
    gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Sounds like the thing from years ago. Mind you only had something like 640k and you had to load with minimal drivers altering autoexec to preserve as much of that as possible.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It means when I bought my computer 10 years ago I didn't pay attention to the most important aspects.
    I only had 500k when I should have had at least a gigabyte at the time.

Tried to upgrade the computer and took care to pair up the memory boards and get the correct type, which resulted in my computer freezing.
    In the days before 3gig memory was the norm. I can't be bothered any more.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    500k? You must be kidding! 10 Years ago surely you mean 500MB at least?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    500k? You must be kidding! 10 Years ago surely you mean 500MB at least?
    I did mean 500mb, slip there. I bought my first home PC from a company that allowed me to configure.
    Now I realise that if the memory isn't large enough with a separate dedicated graphics card you might as well just use one for net surfing.
    Which I do with a bog standard laptop and just use consoles for gaming.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    I think the biggest factor is the environment in which a person plays games.

Personally, I do have my own little command-module, where I surf the internet, play games and, on occasion, even do a bit of work so, for me, it makes sense to have a PC for doing all that stuff.

Maybe it's just me but I don't think you can get the same level of immersion when you're sitting in your living room, on the sofa, twiddling a controller.
    I have a Wii in the living room which gets used for casual games of tennis, bowling, Mario-kart and Worms when we have friends around but I'd rather go and shut myself away by myself to play summat like COD, Skyrim or F1 2013 so I can concentrate properly.

I'm sure a console could work just as well in that role but, as I said, I like having a machine that can also do work and surf the net too so having a console as well as a PC would be a bit pointless.
  • Options
    jokerzjokerz Posts: 1,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mythica wrote: »
    Lets not forget, while it's true that PC offers better graphics, you need to spend to get to that point. I'm guessing the vast majority of PC/laptop owners won't have a system that is capable of running graphics any better or as good as the current generation of consoles.

*Ahem* Mine does.

I recently sold my Dual HD7970s and got a GTX780 TI. It wipes the floor with the X1 and PS4. In 3-4 years time the 780 should still have higher graphical fidelity than the X1 and PS4 as they are based on Mid to just about High PC systems whereas true PC gaming nerds or someone with too much time on their hands will have a super duper all singing giving you a daily BJ full on electronic misses of a PC.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jokerz wrote: »
    *Ahem* Mine does.

I recently sold my Dual HD7970s and got a GTX780 TI. It wipes the floor with the X1 and PS4. In 3-4 years time the 780 should still have higher graphical fidelity than the X1 and PS4 as they are based on Mid to just about High PC systems whereas true PC gaming nerds or someone with too much time on their hands will have a super duper all singing giving you a daily BJ full on electronic misses of a PC.

I said the vast majority not everyone. A PS4 also cost £350, your PC cost more. In 6 years time would your PC play Battlefield 5/6 at top spec like a PC would in 6 years time. Would your PC play Battlefield 5/6 as good or the same as a PS4 in 6 years time? Maybe, maybe not. The point is that yes, PC does have the best graphics, but not to the vast majority and it comes at a price.
  • Options
    Flawed-TacticsFlawed-Tactics Posts: 3,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I said the vast majority not everyone. A PS4 also cost £350, your PC cost more. In 6 years time would your PC play Battlefield 5/6 at top spec like a PC would in 6 years time. Would your PC play Battlefield 5/6 as good or the same as a PS4 in 6 years time? Maybe, maybe not. The point is that yes, PC does have the best graphics, but not to the vast majority and it comes at a price.

Why wouldn't his PC play as good as the PS4? PS4 can't be upgraded in those 6 years, its dependant on developer optimisation, I don't think the PS4 will be performing beyond 1080P/60FPS in 6 years time where as the 780Ti is capable of resolutions higher than that now.

Modern games in 6 years will still out perform the PS4 using a GFX chip like the 780Ti, no question.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why wouldn't his PC play as good as the PS4? PS4 can't be upgraded in those 6 years, its dependant on developer optimisation, I don't think the PS4 will be performing beyond 1080P/60FPS in 6 years time where as the 780Ti is capable of resolutions higher than that now.

Modern games in 6 years will still out perform the PS4 using a GFX chip like the 780Ti, no question.

I was talking about a PC now that won't be upgraded in 6 years and the reason the PS4 could outperform it us due to optimisation.
  • Options
    Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This 'gen' will see a greater commitment to optimization issues that PC has (making better use of multithreading, low level API like Mantle), so I don't necessarily think that the way things have been in the past will still play out in the future. We are seeing a greater commitment to optimization over brute tech force from the likes of Intel, AMD and nVidia on the PC platform.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Trouble is the ps4 and xbox1 developers will write specifically for those platforms so will be optomised to the best of their ability.
    Pc writers by that time will be aiming at a top level pc or mid at that time. Sure these will outperform the ps4 and xbox1, but due to them aiming higher, that 6 yo pc is now a low spec and not able to enjoy the full delights.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

To answer the 6 years question you'd need to look at six year multi platform games and how they performed on PC compared to console. Even with older hardware Bad Company 2 (not 6 years old of course) absolutely trounced the console versions. Event the old GTX8800 GPU line which were rebadged as GT250's were one heck of a lot more attractive than the console graphics!

PC's dont need to be constantly upgraded with this new gen of consoles. Both the PS4 and X1 are based on Mid-to high pc specs and are fixed architecture whereas a pc will evolve. Theres no special Cell CPU or custom hardware this time - they are basically PCs which cannot be upgraded. I wouldn't be surprised that developers will start to downgrade FPS or resolution in 3 years time to keep the games nice and pretty.

As for the GTX780 TI or even the 780, they can run games are high resolutions with no issued whereas this is something the PS4 or X1 will not ever achieve.

I like my PS4 but for me it's not a jump in terms of Graphics. I've been looking at these visuals for the past 4 to 5 years.

One thing I do love about the PS4 though is the way the touch pad gets used in games - that IS something new. Now if only they let you use the motion control to adjust your aim in games like they do with Uncharted on the Vita (Yes infamous uses it for the spray paint bits which is really clever and gratifying).

I'm not pro PC or anti console - never have been. I enjoy both and I find that the PC can be very infuriating when games do not run from the word go. But then again it can feel like an achievement when you get it working. Other times I want to throttle the b'stard thing!
  • Options
    GARETH197901GARETH197901 Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I own both play on X360,PS3,PS4 and I also use my PC to Cloud Stream Steam games from my Library via Onlive
  • Options
    mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Always had both... back in the day it would've been 2600 & Vic20/C64 then it was NES/SNES/MD & ST/Amiga then PS/N64/etc. & PC... jumpers for goalposts, cheesy peas for tea etc...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    @jokerz. Yeah I love the ps4 controller. The weight is just right. Love the speaker and touchpad. I just do wish they had wrapped the light around a little or maybe it glowed around the touch pad.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gillyallan wrote: »
    @jokerz. Yeah I love the ps4 controller. The weight is just right. Love the speaker and touchpad. I just do wish they had wrapped the light around a little or maybe it glowed around the touch pad.

Apparently they are going to make it possible to dim the light. Wish we could just turn it off though!!

I especially like the neat little touch with TR where you can strike your finger across the touchpad to light your torch - very clever!

I hope more games make good use of the DS4 features!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This 'gen' will see a greater commitment to optimization issues that PC has (making better use of multithreading, low level API like Mantle), so I don't necessarily think that the way things have been in the past will still play out in the future. We are seeing a greater commitment to optimization over brute tech force from the likes of Intel, AMD and nVidia on the PC platform.

The Mantle API for BF4 worked perfectly for the dual HD7970s when I tried it. Just a shame the drivers didn't take too kindly to the other games in my collection.

Well that and the noise they made! The heat they pushed out of my PC allowed me to turn the radiator off in my room when I was gaming otherwise it was a "game in your underpants" scenario - not a pretty sight! :D
  • Options
    geemonkeegeemonkee Posts: 2,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Either/or - proper tools for the job. Down to personal preference in most cases though. Trade of between the endless tweaking and drivers for PC with better graphics performance but at a price vs stick in a cartridge/disc and play with (used to be) no issues or tweaking at a lower price.

PC has been and is still good for communities and mods as in for example in Minecraft and custom content for games like of the top of my head, Rocksmith. PC also gave us networking multiplayer options.

For pure arcade games, I've always preffered a console - there was always something 'pure' about it. A system designed purely for one purpose with it's custom hardware and proper controller. Of course that's no longer the case. Consoles have become more influenced by PC's by being able to do more than games and pehaps rightly so. (it's sad though that the architecture is just like a PC with little to no custom hardware) And PC's initially were not meant for gaming (seriously at any rate). The controllers available for the PC back in the day were absolutely crap! Then you had the delight of the Atari 2600 joystick with one button haha. The line between a PC and console has became fuzzy over the years.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    geemonkee wrote: »
    Either/or - proper tools for the job. Down to personal preference in most cases though. Trade of between the endless tweaking and drivers for PC with better graphics performance but at a price vs stick in a cartridge/disc and play with (used to be) no issues or tweaking at a lower price.

PC has been and is still good for communities and mods as in for example in Minecraft and custom content for games like of the top of my head, Rocksmith. PC also gave us networking multiplayer options.

For pure arcade games, I've always preffered a console - there was always something 'pure' about it. A system designed purely for one purpose with it's custom hardware and proper controller. Of course that's no longer the case. Consoles have become more influenced by PC's by being able to do more than games and pehaps rightly so. (it's sad though that the architecture is just like a PC with little to no custom hardware) And PC's initially were not meant for gaming (seriously at any rate). The controllers available for the PC back in the day were absolutely crap! Then you had the delight of the Atari 2600 joystick with one button haha. The line between a PC and console has became fuzzy over the years.

The controllers for PC are pretty good now.

I picked up a Razor Orbweaver as I hate using a full keyboard - its brilliant!
  • Options
    geemonkeegeemonkee Posts: 2,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jokerz wrote: »
    The controllers for PC are pretty good now.

I picked up a Razor Orbweaver as I hate using a full keyboard - its brilliant!

Just had a look at it - that's a serious bit of kit! Maybe just the job for the upcoming new Elite game :p