Getting more and more confused

Comments

• gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My point was that you weren't being completely honest when you replied to the OP.
    You failed to mention that the main reason your downloads were taking hours/days is that you have a poor internet connection. It was giving the impression that the downloads take that long normally when they don't.

i mentioned several times i have a poor internet connection, i also mentioned the the PS4 was pretty much playable straight away..

i will point out that i do own both so it is just what i have found, when you have actually purchased an Xbox one then i hope your install times are a lot quicker..and that you have a decent connection

:)
  • SaddlerSteveSaddlerSteve Posts: 4,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    [/B]

i mentioned several times i have a poor internet connection, i also mentioned the the PS4 was pretty much playable straight away..

i will point out that i do own both so it is just what i have found, when you have actually purchased an Xbox one then i hope your install times are a lot quicker..and that you have a decent connection

:)

You didn't mention it in the post where you were saying it takes hours and only admitted it after other FM's pointed it out.

I appreciate you are just giving your own experience but the fact your internet connection is causing the majority of the problem is an important fact that needs to be given along with your other observations.

Although I have not got an Xbox One myself, 2 of my friends have and I'm well aware of the download times. When I do buy one I doubt I'll have much problems as I have a 38mbps fibre connection. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You didn't mention it in the post where you were saying it takes hours and only admitted it after other FM's pointed it out.

I appreciate you are just giving your own experience but the fact your internet connection is causing the majority of the problem is an important fact that needs to be given along with your other observations.

Although I have not got an Xbox One myself, 2 of my friends have and I'm well aware of the download times. When I do buy one I doubt I'll have much problems as I have a 38mbps fibre connection. :D

if you read my first post, i mentioned twice i had a poor internet connection.

if the op had a poor connection also, i pointed out that PS4 was playable nearly straight away..

i dont appreciate being called a liar or dishonest..i just reported my findings and not everybody has fibre..you failed to mention you had high speed fibre..

so op, if you have crap internet, get a PS4

that is all

edit

Titanfalls just finished the update..

and its amazing
  • Premium-OnionPremium-Onion Posts: 3,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    brb wrote: »
    Seriously? :o Although the DS4 is a huge improvement on the DS3, I still find it extremely uncomfortable to hold and don't find it suitable for long gaming sessions - it gives me cramps. It just feels so unnatural to hold. Maybe it's just my small hands, though. Where as I can play with the XBO controller for hours on end without the slightest ache.

Saying that, I don't have a PS4 yet (I do intend to pick one up though - a few exclusives I want!), and this is only from playing with my neighbour... but the XBO controller is by far superior tbf.

It's all a personal thing in the end really but I find it interesting that I found the 360 controller the best controller I have ever used right up until the DS4. I have used the XB1 controller and to me it seems a step back, for me, they took the perfect controller and ruined it.
  • brbbrb Posts: 27,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's all a personal thing in the end really but I find it interesting that I found the 360 controller the best controller I have ever used right up until the DS4. I have used the XB1 controller and to me it seems a step back, for me, they took the perfect controller and ruined it.

I always liked the 360 controller - I still use it for PC gaming. My issue with it is the way my last three fingers rest on it. I can't explain it, but it doesn't feel 100% right? Like, it feels like the grip isn't all there? The XBO controller corrects that, and I actually like I'm gripping it properly.

Saying that, though, I've never been a fan of the Dual Shock and found the DS3 even more unbearable. I hate the analogue location on it.
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Saying that, though, I've never been a fan of the Dual Shock and found the DS3 even more unbearable. I hate the analogue location on it.

So did I when I moved from Xbox to PS3, it took a while to get used to the stick placements but now I find the Xbox controller sticks are in the wrong place (Or actually its the D-Pad which is in the wrong place, moving up to use the D-Pad is now my natural reaction).

Over the course of owning many controllers I have found that over time you can easily become accustomed to any controller and the more you use it the better it feels. I actually really like the DS controller now because my thumb naturally sit in the same position rather than one been off at a different angle to the other.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I much prefer the x1 controller I find its more comfortable then the DS4. Also my fingers still slip off the DS4 triggers like they done with DS3 but I fixed that by adding them plastic real triggers to the DS3. But so far they haven't been made yet for DS4.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I much prefer the x1 controller I find its more comfortable then the DS4. Also my fingers still slip off the DS4 triggers like they done with DS3 but I fixed that by adding them plastic real triggers to the DS3. But so far they haven't been made yet for DS4.

I have never found the slippery triggers an issue for me.

I always felt the bumper buttons on the 360 controller were worse then the DS3 triggers. Although part of that could be just not been used to the 360 controller.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotbird wrote: »
    I have never found the slippery triggers an issue for me.

I always felt the bumper buttons on the 360 controller were worse then the DS3 triggers. Although part of that could be just not been used to the 360 controller.

Actually, that was one thing I liked about the DS3. Their triggers. I do prefer the XBO triggers as a whole, but the 360 triggers just don't feel rewarding.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    another update...

:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    another update...

:(

It takes around 30 seconds.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It takes around 30 seconds.

not in the country unfortunately...
  • Entropy_NebulaEntropy_Nebula Posts: 538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't have anything to add re PS4 vs Xbox 1 but I do have some comments on the updates/install palaver for X1

I've received around 12 Gb of updates now for Forza on the X1 and it's taken minutes for each one to go through. You can start playing from around 11% installed whilst the rest is finishing off, personally I think it's better to wait until the update has gone through before playing.

Last week there was a 2Gb update for Forza 5 (a new race circuit) and it was downloaded and installed within 10 mins, so quick in fact I didn't think my update had come through and was waiting for the new track to drop in without realizing I already had it.

My download speed is effectively around 3-5mb/s whilst my broadband speed test results come back at around 18 mb/s.

I'm sorry to the poster that's struggled with their X1 but to repeat everyone else...that's yr connection. Maybe it's time to bite the bullet and pay the extra £10 a month for a decent connection, irrespective of gaming it can't be much fun trying to stream with such a low speed.

My gut feeling on which console to choose is akin to trying to decide which is the better colour, red or blue.......you're on a hiding to nothing obsessing over the little details, contary to arguments put forth on both sides it's not like one is a gameboy and the other is deep blue, they both do the same thing with fractional differences, you'll be happy for many years to come with either.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't have anything to add re PS4 vs Xbox 1 but I do have some comments on the updates/install palaver for X1

I've received around 12 Gb of updates now for Forza on the X1 and it's taken minutes for each one to go through. You can start playing from around 11% installed whilst the rest is finishing off, personally I think it's better to wait until the update has gone through before playing.

Last week there was a 2Gb update for Forza 5 (a new race circuit) and it was downloaded and installed within 10 mins, so quick in fact I didn't think my update had come through and was waiting for the new track to drop in without realizing I already had it.

My download speed is effectively around 3-5mb/s whilst my broadband speed test results come back at around 18 mb/s.

I'm sorry to the poster that's struggled with their X1 but to repeat everyone else...that's yr connection. Maybe it's time to bite the bullet and pay the extra £10 a month for a decent connection, irrespective of gaming it can't be much fun trying to stream with such a low speed.

i have stuggled but its well worth it....

i cant upgrade my speed, ive been down that road....

the PS4 has been ok, INfamous was ready to play within a minute and updated in the background. I think i gave a fair appraisal of both systems in my original post but it is inevitible that fans go into defense mode..

i think they are both great and Titanfall and Dead Rising are very impressive , we are also playing MGS GZ, Infamous and Hobbit on PS4...
  • Entropy_NebulaEntropy_Nebula Posts: 538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    [/B]

i have stuggled but its well worth it....

i cant upgrade my speed, ive been down that road....

the PS4 has been ok, INfamous was ready to play within a minute and updated in the background. I think i gave a fair appraisal of both systems in my original post but it is inevitible that fans go into defense mode..

i think they are both great and Titanfall and Dead Rising are very impressive , we are also playing MGS GZ, Infamous and Hobbit on PS4...

I've been lucky in that fibre came to our area recently, it would've taken an hour or two previous for a couple of Gb to download. It's not so much the console that's the limiting factor, it's our unfair two tier broadband in this country.

All the best
  • Delboy219Delboy219 Posts: 3,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm getting a tad fed up with people telling the guy with slow internet to just "bite the bullet and pay the extra tenner for fibre".

It doesn't work that way. My net is probably a wee bit faster than the guy in the country, but not by much. Consider my situation. I live in the south side of a major city. My mate two mins around the corner from me has super fast fibre optic. Meanwhile myself just a few yards away is still stuck on just under 2mb. I recently found out the cold hard truth why this has occured. I had major connection issues this year, and i had about 3 BT engineers out on the case. One of the guys was rather honest about the slow internet situation. It appears that all the streets near me are on double cabinets. Whereas my street is just the one cabinet that connects about 80 houses. I asked why the hell is all my neighbours on fibre while our street isn't? I got my answer... the higher ups don't think updating one cabinet is "feasible".

There you go. That's why some of us are f**ked.

It says on the BT website that we CAN get fibre optic. Then you call to enquire and they do a full check and say, "Oh, sorry. It appears that it's NOT available." and when we enquire further we get fobbed off. I think the engineer was spot on, and we're being shafted. I'm pay just a tiny wee bit less than the rest of you for what is basically a shitty service.

Before people say "why don't you just move?" well, it's not that simple. I have a kid with special needs and we can't just move him to another school all willy nilly. BT needs to get this sorted. I've even spoke to my local MP about it, he said he would look into it, but i've heard nothing back.

Obviously i've never even attempted to DL a full game. It took about 12 hours each for the TLoU and Infamous DLC packs.
  • 2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    At the end of the day no-one can really give you any advice as we all have differing preferences.

My own suggestion would be that if you are attached to the 360 as you say you are, and if it's the exclusives and controller in particular that make it your favourite system then I say get an X1. That's just my experience, I personally think it has the best games now and the best up coming, the controller is as close to perfect as I could hope for coming from the 360 and since my favourite developers are Turn 10 and Remedy it was worth it alone for Forza 5 (and of course the upcoming Horizon 2 and Quantum Break).
    Forum Member
    I would also say fibre optic broadband is this gen's "HDTV" must-have accessory. It really is needed to make the most of these consoles. Thankfully I have it and it makes downloading things a non-issue.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

If the poster with poor internet is having problems with the XB1 due to his poor internet but not having the same issues with the PS4 then clearly the issue alone is not with the internet connection (Although that is clearly a big contributing factor) but more with the way the XB1 and PS4 handle the downloading, installing and patching of content. For anyone with a poor internet connection this is a very relevant point to the discussion.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotbird wrote: »
    If the poster with poor internet is having problems with the XB1 due to his poor internet but not having the same issues with the PS4 then clearly the issue alone is not with the internet connection (Although that is clearly a big contributing factor) but more with the way the XB1 and PS4 handle the downloading, installing and patching of content. For anyone with a poor internet connection this is a very relevant point to the discussion.

thats pretty much it, like i have said the PS4 has been pretty easy to get up and running..XBONE has been hard work...but is bloody fantastic now it is
  • SaddlerSteveSaddlerSteve Posts: 4,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Delboy219 wrote: »
    I'm getting a tad fed up with people telling the guy with slow internet to just "bite the bullet and pay the extra tenner for fibre".

It doesn't work that way. My net is probably a wee bit faster than the guy in the country, but not by much. Consider my situation. I live in the south side of a major city. My mate two mins around the corner from me has super fast fibre optic. Meanwhile myself just a few yards away is still stuck on just under 2mb. I recently found out the cold hard truth why this has occured. I had major connection issues this year, and i had about 3 BT engineers out on the case. One of the guys was rather honest about the slow internet situation. It appears that all the streets near me are on double cabinets. Whereas my street is just the one cabinet that connects about 80 houses. I asked why the hell is all my neighbours on fibre while our street isn't? I got my answer... the higher ups don't think updating one cabinet is "feasible".

There you go. That's why some of us are f**ked.

It says on the BT website that we CAN get fibre optic. Then you call to enquire and they do a full check and say, "Oh, sorry. It appears that it's NOT available." and when we enquire further we get fobbed off. I think the engineer was spot on, and we're being shafted. I'm pay just a tiny wee bit less than the rest of you for what is basically a shitty service.

Before people say "why don't you just move?" well, it's not that simple. I have a kid with special needs and we can't just move him to another school all willy nilly. BT needs to get this sorted. I've even spoke to my local MP about it, he said he would look into it, but i've heard nothing back.

Obviously i've never even attempted to DL a full game. It took about 12 hours each for the TLoU and Infamous DLC packs.

It's not necessarily BT's fault either. One of my friends lives in a village just outside MK for about 18 months. He moved into a new build and has been waiting for BT to install the extra box since then. It turns out that BT had been trying to install it from when the houses were built but the original box is on the edge of a conservation area and so when BT requesting planning permission it was refused by the local council. Recently there have been complaints from the local school about their broadband connection as they're trying to run 12 PC's on a 3mb connection.
    No sooner had the school become involved the council changed their mind and the 2nd box is now being installed. He should have fibre by the end of the month!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not necessarily BT's fault either. One of my friends lives in a village just outside MK for about 18 months. He moved into a new build and has been waiting for BT to install the extra box since then. It turns out that BT had been trying to install it from when the houses were built but the original box is on the edge of a conservation area and so when BT requesting planning permission it was refused by the local council. Recently there have been complaints from the local school about their broadband connection as they're trying to run 12 PC's on a 3mb connection.
    No sooner had the school become involved the council changed their mind and the 2nd box is now being installed. He should have fibre by the end of the month!

Titanfalls running perfectly on my less than 1 meg connection.....

i can even type this without bringing it all to a halt..
  • SimonB79SimonB79 Posts: 3,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Titanfalls running perfectly on my less than 1 meg connection.....

i can even type this without bringing it all to a halt..

Can ya do a speedtest via here & post the results? :)

(Just wondering what ya ping is like) ;-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SimonB79 wrote: »
    Can ya do a speedtest via here & post the results? :)

(Just wondering what ya ping is like) ;-)

less than a meg according to SKY....

so if anybody was considering an XBONE and had a similar connection, they are in for a bit of a wait.

im thinking of getting Forza tomorrow but im dreading the install and update..

not right that really..
    Forum Member
    There is actually a network test in the settings that only takes a couple of seconds and will tell you if your connection "quallifies" for Xbox One multiplayer.