Options

CONFIRMED That EastEnders boss did axe Hetti Bywater

HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,697
Forum Member
http://www.soapsquawk.co.uk/news/jacqueline-jossa-i-want-lauren-to-fall-off-the-wagon.php

Just incase this information has been overlooked in all the recent chatter about who killed Lucy.

I also highlight this as one poster on here claimed to know someone who met Hettis brother and said Hetti had quit.

Comments

• Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    So the solution is:-

In the wood, with an axe by the EE boss;-)
  • Options
    ryanr554ryanr554 Posts: 4,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think it really matters to be honest. It's the nature of the job.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ryanr554 wrote: »
    I don't think it really matters to be honest. It's the nature of the job.

True but it just irritated me that someone was basically lying.I doubt they have any link to Hettis brother at all.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,749
    Forum Member
    However she left on a massive storyline about to start and the biggest mystery the show involving her character. Even if she's not there, she sort of still is in a way.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    However she left on a massive storyline about to start and the biggest mystery the show involving her character. Even if she's not there, she sort of still is in a way.

Her character will be referenced for a long time to come thats for sure.
  • Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Her character will be referenced for a long time to come thats for sure.

And will she be making reappearances if the soap is using flashbacks as rumoured?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Fudd wrote: »
    And will she be making reappearances if the soap is using flashbacks as rumoured?

Highly likely.That would optimise the potential of how they tell this story_it would kinda feel incomplete without ANY flashbacks.
  • Options
    Vicks-LouiseVicks-Louise Posts: 1,102
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had assumed this was the case anyway since it has been said DTC had this planned since September/October time last year
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I had assumed this was the case anyway since it has been said DTC had this planned since September/October time last year

So had I but then someone on here posted they had contacts with Hettis brother and claimed she quit because she was dissatisfied.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    True but it just irritated me that someone was basically lying.I doubt they have any link to Hettis brother at all.

That should come as no surprise to you in view of some of the fantasists on here.
  • Options
    KatrinaKKatrinaK Posts: 32,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always thought it was obvious she was axed.

DTC came back to the show with an idea for the Beales - and that was to kill Lucy off. This was his plan from the second the got the appointment as executive producer. Therefore for his story to work, Hetti had to go.

DTC did not work the storyline around Hetti's "leaving". It was the other way around.
  • Options
    dazza89dazza89 Posts: 13,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do think it was Hetti Bywater he axed more than Lucy Beale herself. If Lucy was still played by Mel Sulfield I am sure this storyline wouldn't be happening (at least not to the Beales anyway) Mel as Lucy was highly rated by DTC and Santer, she was the most well developed younger character at the time and the only under 18 to get a line and appear in the live episode. DTC saw Hetti's casting was a mistake, realised another recast was to much and cut his looses and hence why this story is going to run and run, if he is gonna kill off a character with so much history and a potential legend then he may as well do it in style.
  • Options
    basdfgbasdfg Posts: 6,764
    Forum Member
    Where does it say she was axed. Only he decided to kill Lucy off. She might have quit before then being killed off.
  • Options
    GeekInfectedGeekInfected Posts: 6,372
    Forum Member
    So, what? Why are you so interested in who is axed and who is quit. It makes little difference.

First of all, DTC has said "it was his decision to KILL OFF" the character not axe. In the Soap/Tv world there is a difference between the two.

In soap, the "axing" of characters, is done when the production see little value in the character and quickly write them out of the show. This can be done by killing them off or having them leave the setting of the show.

A press release stating that this would be "one of EastEnders' biggest mysteries" ""when Lucy Beale is sensationally killed off this spring" which had "been secretly plotted since the arrival of Execuitve Producer, Dominic Treadwell-Collins", Dominic said himself that the storyline "will shock and hopefully make the nation weep and give Adam Woodyatt, who is a brilliant actor and a lovely man, a chance to shine".

Lucy would have gone to stay Aunt Bev, or Gina and it would been involved in some deadly car crash off screen - is what they would have done had the decided to axe her in the true sense of the term. There wouldn't be this much of a commotion created around it. ^_^

EDIT: In a side note - The fact that her face will be used for promotion over the next ten months means she will be paid for those ten months along with what ever else they decide to use the actress for. So it's not like she's not still making money from the show.
  • Options
    ArthurJBearArthurJBear Posts: 6,909
    Forum Member
    Not necessarily, Hetti could have quit and DTC could have decided to kill her off (like Pat Butcher)
  • Options
    sunny daysunny day Posts: 849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And this article is only on a web page, since when has that been gospel :D
  • Options
    bean_of_sbbean_of_sb Posts: 7,841
    Forum Member
    Poppy, Ava, Sam etc were all axed, Hetti's departure is completely different. She obviously didn't have the 'it's not working/ the character had reached her natural end' speech. She's Lucy Beale - one of the biggest pieces of EE history left on the soap. Characters are 'axed' when the new EP rocks up and decides who doesn't work in his new vision of the show. Again, that isn't what happened here. If she wasn't working, this much fuss wouldn't have been made.

This is STORYLINE lead. If DTC didn't think Lucy was worth it? Why would there be a 10 month storyline about her? And why would Hetti be the face of the 30th anniversary.

The way the actress/ character is leaving is totally unique, unlike any I've known in my time as a soap fan. To say she has been axed puts her in the same bracket as characters that get shipped out in a black cab because they don't work. Anyone who thinks this is the same is barking mad'
  • Options
    0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    That should come as no surprise to you in view of some of the fantasists on here.

I was saying exactly the same thing to Elvis during our last shift at the chip shop.
  • Options
    Vicks-LouiseVicks-Louise Posts: 1,102
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree it's not the same axe Carl etc got but it's closer to an axe than it is to hetti leaving she was still asked to leave just for a nicer reason (being that DTC saw her as a character who would leave a big enough hole to make killing her worth while - hetti should most certainly be happy with that since she will forever be the last face of Lucy Beale which obviously if DTC didn't see her as worthy of being the last one he would have recast her and either killed someone else for this or killed the recast Lucy later)
  • Options
    Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bean_of_sb wrote: »
    Poppy, Ava, Sam etc were all axed, Hetti's departure is completely different. She obviously didn't have the 'it's not working/ the character had reached her natural end' speech. She's Lucy Beale - one of the biggest pieces of EE history left on the soap. Characters are 'axed' when the new EP rocks up and decides who doesn't work in his new vision of the show. Again, that isn't what happened here. If she wasn't working, this much fuss wouldn't have been made.

This is STORYLINE lead. If DTC didn't think Lucy was worth it? Why would there be a 10 month storyline about her? And why would Hetti be the face of the 30th anniversary.

The way the actress/ character is leaving is totally unique, unlike any I've known in my time as a soap fan. To say she has been axed puts her in the same bracket as characters that get shipped out in a black cab because they don't work. Anyone who thinks this is the same is barking mad'

This. You have saved me a lot of typing. DTC said one of the first ideas he came up with was killing Lucy, he wanted to kill Lucy to show the effects it has on a family and the wider community. Lucy was the only character who this storyline would have worked with. It wasn't a case of axing her just because he wanted rid. The whole plot is storyline lead. Lucy is gone but she will continue to live on for the next year at least because the impact of her death effects so many. As he said this spins the Beale's off into a dark new era.

Totally different to Carl, Kirsty, Ava and Sam being axed just because he wanted rid. Lucy has been killed because the storyline required it.

I also agree with you about Hetti. If DTC disliked her why is it her who will be the face of next years 30th Anniversary? The whole birthday celebration will be based around Lucy with Hetti's face being everywhere. Even more so if the flashback theories proof to be correct.
  • Options
    oblivianoblivian Posts: 4,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ask any average tv viewer that has seen eastenders and not some soap obsessive who the worst actors are in eastenders and I'm willing to bet a huge proportion would say Lucy.
    In my opinion she is among the most wooden they have had in years, very little range and you never actually believe she's Lucy Beale, to me she always came across as a posh actress.
    Her career path will tell of course but I'm betting no oscars or Emmys any time soon.
    Just my opinions of course.
  • Options
    bean_of_sbbean_of_sb Posts: 7,841
    Forum Member
    oblivian wrote: »
    Ask any average tv viewer that has seen eastenders and not some soap obsessive who the worst actors are in eastenders and I'm willing to bet a huge proportion would say Lucy.
    In my opinion she is among the most wooden they have had in years, very little range and you never actually believe she's Lucy Beale, to me she always came across as a posh actress.
    Her career path will tell of course but I'm betting no oscars or Emmys any time soon.
    Just my opinions of course.

Whenever I talk about EE with friends, Lucy tended to slip under the radar. Not the best, but not the worst. A lot of people I know used to slate Joey Branning, and more recently, Tamwar and even Peter.
  • Options
    dan2008dan2008 Posts: 37,281
    Forum Member
    Well i could have told you that. So obvious.

If Hetti left and DTC had plans for lucy he might have recast her (All Got the old one back)

Dom stated one of the first things he had in mind when returning to EastEnders was the death of lucy.
  • Options
    BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    dazza89 wrote: »
    I do think it was Hetti Bywater he axed more than Lucy Beale herself. If Lucy was still played by Mel Sulfield I am sure this storyline wouldn't be happening (at least not to the Beales anyway) Mel as Lucy was highly rated by DTC and Santer, she was the most well developed younger character at the time and the only under 18 to get a line and appear in the live episode. DTC saw Hetti's casting was a mistake, realised another recast was to much and cut his looses and hence why this story is going to run and run, if he is gonna kill off a character with so much history and a potential legend then he may as well do it in style.
    DTC apparently was a big fan of Melissa, or should I say her portrayal of Lucy.
  • Options
    radcliffe95radcliffe95 Posts: 4,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Weakest actor on the show, so quite an obvious choice.