Perfect mash - ideas please!

2»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's healthier than suet dumplings though!

:D Haven't had one of those for years.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 204
    Forum Member
    I always add a teaspoon of english mustard if having with sausages or meat pie.

My sisters favourite is mash, with sliced, boiled egg on top then smothered in cheese sauce!
  • indianwellsindianwells Posts: 12,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If I am having a salad I always do mash. It is a dream partner to beetroot. Honestly!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,958
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Simply drain all but around 3 tablespoons of water off the boiled potatoes. Obliterate the mash and then Put back on the hob for three -five minutes to drive off some moisture.

Add a tablespoon of milk to the mix and fold in.

That's it.

Nothing else - after all it is mashed potato that you are preparing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like mash with beans on top. Don't know what it is, but the combination of beans, mash and the tomato sauce is heavenly. So, actually, I do know what it is.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 443
    Forum Member
    I always put the butter in then cover with a tea towel before mashing. I sometimes use cream also but lately I have been adding a couple of tea spoons of horseradish! Makes it slightly spicy which is lovely. Although I have never used an egg?! Do you crack it in before you mash the spuds or after? what is the benefit of it taste and texture wise?!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rosypie wrote: »
    I always put the butter in then cover with a tea towel before mashing. I sometimes use cream also but lately I have been adding a couple of tea spoons of horseradish! Makes it slightly spicy which is lovely. Although I have never used an egg?! Do you crack it in before you mash the spuds or after? what is the benefit of it taste and texture wise?!

I first used egg yolks in mash after seeing a Gordon Ramsay recipe for shepherd's pie.

I whipped them into the spuds after I'd cooked them and before topping the shepherd's pie with them and putting the pie in the oven - so effectively they were baked into the mash.

The resulting mash is definitely richer and somehow more aerated and softly bubbly.

It's hard to describe - just try it!

:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 443
    Forum Member
    Thanks Serendipitea, Just one further question, is it safe to whip them through if you are just eating it as mash and they are not being cooked again ie on the top of a pie? Could i whip raw egs through and then eat or must they be cooked again?!
  • GellymissGellymiss Posts: 1,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always add Philly cream cheese or a big dollop of sour cream in with the milk. Adds a lovely tang to it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,475
    Forum Member
    I use a potato ricer and then add salt, pepper and double cream to it - or sour cream and chive dip is nice to add as well. I do agree with others though - a ricer gets rid of all the nasty lumps and makes it really light and fluffy to start with.
  • girlfrommarsgirlfrommars Posts: 2,752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I am having a salad I always do mash. It is a dream partner to beetroot. Honestly!

Oh yes mash and beetroot lovely :D
    Even better with Heinz salad cream.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Collette wrote: »
    I use a potato ricer and then add salt, pepper and double cream to it - or sour cream and chive dip is nice to add as well. I do agree with others though - a ricer gets rid of all the nasty lumps and makes it really light and fluffy to start with.

Ricers are great!

Bugger to clean though.......:(
  • Rhino HornRhino Horn Posts: 1,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ricers are great!

not if you get your OH to wash up ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rhino Horn wrote: »
    not if you get your OH to wash up ;)

I bought a ricer, used it once, missus washed it up...then gave it away to her mate after saying that was "the last time i'm washing that bloody thing!":(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks Serendipitea, Just one further question, is it safe to whip them through if you are just eating it as mash and they are not being cooked again ie on the top of a pie? Could i whip raw egs through and then eat or must they be cooked again?!

Hmm... I've got to admit, I'm not really sure Roseypie.

I suppose raw egg yolks are used all the time in mayonnaise (though I've never done it) but I've not tried whipping them into cooked mash. If the mash is really hot it might cook the yolk (as in spag carbonara), but I don't know enough about this to be definitive!

Hopefully someone who knows the answer will be along soon ...!

:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 301
    Forum Member

Eggs cook at 63 deg centigrade so if you're curious stick a thermometer in and find out. It's not a problem though loads of things use partially cooked egg and most people have their eggs with a runny yolk anyway. Also bear in mind only sick hens lays salmonella-ridden eggs that's why you're far less likely to get an infected organic one compared to battery farmed.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,475
    Forum Member
    Ricers are great!

Yep :(

I put it straight into hot soapy water when I've finished with it now rather then letting the potato even cool slightly on it - I was sick of getting it out of the dishwasher still all scummed up :o:D