Vernon Kay's broad accent

2»

Comments

• cathrincathrin Posts: 4,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A couple of weeks ago a contestant looked completely confused when VK seemed to be asking him: "Name a type of NOUGHT". It was only when the answers were revealed (Musical, etc) that it became clear he was saying "NOTE".
  • intoxicationintoxication Posts: 7,059
    Forum Member
    cathrin wrote: »
    A couple of weeks ago a contestant looked completely confused when VK seemed to be asking him: "Name a type of NOUGHT". It was only when the answers were revealed (Musical, etc) that it became clear he was saying "NOTE".

Lol I'd forgotten about that one! The first answer that came to my mind then was "noughts and crosses"
  • looby383xlooby383x Posts: 3,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whilst I don't have a problem with his accent (in the sense of it being on TV) - I think that at least, after it became clear that she had a problem with the word, they should have allowed her to answer the question. It was his pronunciation that was a problem for her - I thought it sounded like 'pawl' and I'm from his neck of the woods. There was no context in the question to allow you to see what he was getting at

I do think they set weeks up where they know the 30k is going to go, and weeks where they set when they know it won't - some weeks there are questions where there is practically only 1 answer, and other weeks - like last night, where each question (such as name a type of pole - top answer being North Pole ???) has so many possible answers that the 30K is never going to be got
  • The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    *MikeB* wrote: »
    I know they do but it doesn't matter. You'd be able to tell from the rest of the sentence what the word is they are saying!
    Yes but not in this instance cos the word wasn't mentioned in any context. Name a type of pole? I could have said Anne Frank and it wouldn't have been wrong.

Personally I would have said "Flag Pole" It's not the accent that's at fault. It's the people who chose the questions. It's too ambigious...in any accent.
  • Ollie_h19Ollie_h19 Posts: 8,548
    Forum Member
    If we're talking accents, does anyone remember Going For Gold- Henry Kelly has such a thick irish accent, and a lot of the contestants didn't even have English as their first language, giving the 'UK' representatives a very slight advantage!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 160
    Forum Member
    HHAHAHAH......... So funny, this could end up being like the famous 2ronnnies sketch.......FOURCANDLES!!!!!

I like Kaye though brings a much needed energy and buzz to the show, Les was boring!!!!
  • loracanloracan Posts: 914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I understand him, don't think he's got a particularly strong Bolton accent... but perhaps we should have sub-titles. After all, one should never underestimate the stupidity of the Great British Public! They could maybe bring in multiple choice answers too.
  • fitnessqueenfitnessqueen Posts: 5,185
    Forum Member
    ftv wrote: »
    He should take elocution lessons from his wife - she uses her accent on SCD but when she was fronting that lottery show This Time Tomorrow from Glasgow the accent mysteriously disappeared:eek:

Yes- at least Vernon is consistant in his accent unlike Tess with her Southern pronunciation until she says "joodges" and "coople" and "Strictly Coom Dancing"

I like Vernon's accent-reminds me of my Gran who was Bolton born and bred :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes- at least Vernon is consistant in his accent unlike Tess with her Southern pronunciation until she says "joodges" and "coople" and "Strictly Coom Dancing"

I like Vernon's accent-reminds me of my Gran who was Bolton born and bred :D

It always makes me smile when people refer to northern accents using 'oo', as in your examples above and as in 'oop North'.

I would read 'joodges' with the 'oo' sound (as in 'boot') and consequently, I immediately thought that Tess doesn't pronounce it like that at all!

I know what you mean though. :)
  • SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes; Tess's accent is a strange mish-mash of pronunciations - with Vern what you see is what you get!!
  • pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PAULIE74 wrote: »
    I like Kaye though brings a much needed energy and buzz to the show, Les was boring!!!!
    If unnecessary shouting and guerning at the screen is what you would call "energy and buzz" then, fair enough. Personally, I thought Les was brilliant, but the show was getting very stuffy in the end with the show seemingly being made for grannies with tons of laughter if someone even thought of mentioning the word sex and it became very samey. Moving it to teatime wasn't a very good idea either.

I think if the shows format was kept exactly the same as it is now but with Les back as host it would work great. Of course, the celebs would have to go, that sort of episode is best kept as a one off for Christmas, and the jokes could be a little more risque too, nothing totally filthy, but something a bit stronger than Vernon saying 'bum' and taking it wayyy over the top just to get a reaction from the audience. Bring back Les!

Paddy :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,130
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cathrin wrote: »
    Lol I'd forgotten about that one! The first answer that came to my mind then was "noughts and crosses"

I'd love to have seen this, it sounds so funny. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 160
    Forum Member
    Paddy C wrote: »
    If unnecessary shouting and guerning at the screen is what you would call "energy and buzz" then, fair enough. Personally, I thought Les was brilliant, but the show was getting very stuffy in the end with the show seemingly being made for grannies with tons of laughter if someone even thought of mentioning the word sex and it became very samey. Moving it to teatime wasn't a very good idea either.

I think if the shows format was kept exactly the same as it is now but with Les back as host it would work great. Of course, the celebs would have to go, that sort of episode is best kept as a one off for Christmas, and the jokes could be a little more risque too, nothing totally filthy, but something a bit stronger than Vernon saying 'bum' and taking it wayyy over the top just to get a reaction from the audience. Bring back Les!

Paddy :D

Yeah great .......... if your a member of the Countdown crewe!!!
    I,m sure you,d love to see Old man Dennis back!!
    Please , bring on more " OOOOOO I DON,T REALLY KNOW ....." impersonations!!!
    Move on!!!!!
    Les was the dull one on the show, not the format.
    Andy Collins was better than Les.
    The game play is still the same!!!
  • piranhafishpiranhafish Posts: 891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vernon's accent is over-egged, because he is from Horwich, and the accent isn't quite as strong as true Boltonians