Kindle Paperwhite UK Release

1235»

Comments

• Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aly1 wrote: »
    I agree. At first I was looking at it really critically because of all the reviews. Now I have used it for a few days I have no problem. The lights at the bottom have no impact on the overall reading experience. You just have you light setting to suit the light in the room and it is an excellent reading experience now.
    I would recommend it to everybody.

I agree. Once you find the right light setting for the room you are in its fine.
  • jerpointjerpoint Posts: 50
    Forum Member
    I wonder can anyone help me, I use the Kindle app on the ipad but both my wife and I find it impossible to use in bright sunshine so we are interested in the Kindle Paperwhite or the basic Kindle. I see the basic Kindle priced at 89 euros here in Ireland. We only need them to read books. As we have quite a few mobi books is it possible to cut and paste them onto the Kindle even if they were not bought from amazon? Would be grateful for a bit of advice which route to take. Can any of the above devices facilitate PDF files
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jerpoint wrote: »
    I wonder can anyone help me, I use the Kindle app on the ipad but both my wife and I find it impossible to use in bright sunshine so we are interested in the Kindle Paperwhite or the basic Kindle. I see the basic Kindle priced at 89 euros here in Ireland. We only need them to read books. As we have quite a few mobi books is it possible to cut and paste them onto the Kindle even if they were not bought from amazon? Would be grateful for a bit of advice which route to take. Can any of the above devices facilitate PDF files
    You can download a programme called calibre on to your computer that converts the books into whatever format you require. As you've already bought and paid for the books I don't think there is anything wrong with doing this.
  • grazmangrazman Posts: 607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jerpoint wrote: »

all mobi and azw (amazon files) can work on the Kindle. It doesnt take epub or PDF but you can convert them into mobi files using Calibre like the previous poster said.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    grazman wrote: »
    all mobi and azw (amazon files) can work on the Kindle. It doesnt take epub or PDF but you can convert them into mobi files using Calibre like the previous poster said.

The kindle can read pdf files though its better to convert to mobi as its a more seamless experience.
  • Lindy_LoueLindy_Loue Posts: 9,874
    Forum Member
    Well I dont have any uneven lighting on the reading area and you never buy a 100+ pound item based on what is clearly not a real photo of the paperwhite.
    In fact my main complaint is surrounding the battery life which is well below what amazon have stated.

The light is fantastic for people like me who have had to use clip on style lights, using a clip on light is when you get real uneven lighting. And of course the light also means no more eye strain in dim daylight. .

I couldn't agree more. My eyesight isn't brilliant and I had real trouble with the Kindle Keyboard, was forever searching for a light to read by (even with the lighted cover, bought at some expense recently).

I got my Paperwhite in the post this morning and couldn't be more thrilled with it. At last I can read in any part of any room in the house. I think it will transform my ability to read for pleasure. And for that, I'm willing to put up with a few blotches :cool:
  • wakeywakey Posts: 3,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grazman wrote: »
    Well, i think i've decided not to buy one of these and wait until next years kindle release. The amazon.co.uk site customer reviews are pretty much what the .com site is saying. Lots of bad reviews, 1, 2s and 3 stars - all saying things like uneven lighting, dark blotches on the bottom of the screen like theatre lights, greasy screen picking up fingerprints very easily, pink and blue colours on the screen. The thing that dissapoints me most though is the false advertising. They are clearly showing on the amazon website a picture of a e-reader with a bright uniform white screen when clearly that is not what you recieve. For £100+ that isn't acceptable IMO.

I know that nearly everyone on this message forum has said that the uneven lighting at the bottom doesnt bother them but it does bother me alot and looks like it bothers alot of other people to on the .co.uk and .com websites so i think Santa will have to bring a new kindle next year for me instead.

I hope they fix the problem for the next generation of kindles and also release a colour version.

I think if you ordered one and used it for a couple of days you would soon change your view that it bothers you. It's really not very noticeable during normal use.

And I'm not sure it actually is fixable without introducing further issues. Either it needs additional LED's which would lower battery life so that the gaps between are smaller or it would need the LED's to be situated deeper so the light has spread out before it gets to the viewable area which may then mean that the light get weak at the top.

Suspect in testing the slight issue at the lower portion that you quickly forget about when reading proved the best solution
    Amazon have not hid the fact of the blothes at the bottom of the screen their own video demonstarating the light clearly shows them. I have no uneven lighting, apart from the bit at the bottom the rest of the screen is perfect with even lighting and I have no colour bits either so its clearly not a problem with everyone.

I do agree about the screen, changing it from a silk feel to a rough feel was wrong and its hard to clean.

What are you doing that is seeing you need to clean it. While I'm sure there are fingerprints on mine the fact its not a gloss screen isn't showing them. And it's usually an issue for me and its my biggest annoyance with my iPad as I seem to spend way too much time cleaning finger prints off it. In fact on my paperwhite its the back of the device that's having fingerprint issues more than the screen
    I do agree with a lot of what you say and in fact amazon should never have allowed it to be sold with the LED light issue. but my view is if you buy an item like this you have to do your homework before buying, for me whether it be a kettle or a big screen tv I always check it out before buying and it appears many have not done this and are not happy.
    For me its better then I though and I will be keeping mine, the issues with battery life plus the reading progress not working properly are still small issues for me.

I think it would last the stated time if you stick to the 30 minutes a day with Wifi off that Amazon use for all their battery figures (and on the paperwhite the light set at 10)

Certainly I got 10 days out of mine with wifi left on, with it doing an initial index of all the books, reading for atleast 2 hours each day and the light being anywhere from 3 to 20 depending where I was reading at the time.

On my reading time alone it would suggest 40 days if I reduced it to 30mins a day so that's only 16 days short of Amazons stated time without turning wifi off.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The fingerprint marks are no different but because of the rough feel to the screen now they are harder to clean off.

My battery life is a lot lower, on my touch I got 16 days using around 70% of a full battery charge, I am on my second charge now and it will be more like 10 days using 100% of the battery charge.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wakey wrote: »
    I think if you ordered one and used it for a couple of days you would soon change your view that it bothers you. It's really not very noticeable during normal use.

And I'm not sure it actually is fixable without introducing further issues. Either it needs additional LED's which would lower battery life so that the gaps between are smaller or it would need the LED's to be situated deeper so the light has spread out before it gets to the viewable area which may then mean that the light get weak at the top.

Suspect in testing the slight issue at the lower portion that you quickly forget about when reading proved the best solution

What are you doing that is seeing you need to clean it. While I'm sure there are fingerprints on mine the fact its not a gloss screen isn't showing them. And it's usually an issue for me and its my biggest annoyance with my iPad as I seem to spend way too much time cleaning finger prints off it. In fact on my paperwhite its the back of the device that's having fingerprint issues more than the screen

I think it would last the stated time if you stick to the 30 minutes a day with Wifi off that Amazon use for all their battery figures (and on the paperwhite the light set at 10)

Certainly I got 10 days out of mine with wifi left on, with it doing an initial index of all the books, reading for atleast 2 hours each day and the light being anywhere from 3 to 20 depending where I was reading at the time.

On my reading time alone it would suggest 40 days if I reduced it to 30mins a day so that's only 16 days short of Amazons stated time without turning wifi off.

I got 8 days out of my first charge. I read for 4-6 hours each day had the light on at variable settings for about 75 % of the time, had the WiFi off and had about 100 books indexing. A week from a single charge with the light on and reading for at least 4 hours is fine for me. I prefer the textrue of the paperwhite screen to the touch. I don't really find the need to clean the screen but if I did I would just use a DRY cloth. The thought of putting anything wet onto my e-ink screen doesn't sit well with me:o. I also wouldn't use a screen protector on an e-reader.
  • wakeywakey Posts: 3,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got 8 days out of my first charge. I read for 4-6 hours each day had the light on at variable settings for about 75 % of the time, had the WiFi off and had about 100 books indexing. A week from a single charge with the light on and reading for at least 4 hours is fine for me. I prefer the textrue of the paperwhite screen to the touch. I don't really find the need to clean the screen but if I did I would just use a DRY cloth. The thought of putting anything wet onto my e-ink screen doesn't sit well with me:o. I also wouldn't use a screen protector on an e-reader.

That's certainly by m calculations more than amazon say you should have got even at 4 hours of reading. 8 weeks at 30mins is 28 hours of reading whe as you got atleast 32 hours.And I got 20 hours with Wifi on so I certainly can't see any real evidence of battery issues (unless we have both got lucky with the units we received)

Like you I also prefer the feel, its more tactile and kind of feels more like the paper of a real book which is a sensation you do lose on touch screen devices that have a more glossy feel.

As for cleaning I just put indirectly under a very bright light and angled it and was able to make out a few fingerprints in the right position but I just got my glassss cleaning cloth that anyone who wears glasses or owns any sunglasses has and it cleaned it up without a problem
  • spaceman05spaceman05 Posts: 1,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    about to order one of these for the wife for xmas, need to order now or wont get it in time, i notice when ordering it gives youy an option to purchase a uk adaptor which it says does not come supplied( a bit shocking if you ask me), the wife already has one of the older kindles i brought her a couple years back, will that power adaptor still work in the newer kindle?

Tia
  • spaceman05spaceman05 Posts: 1,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and i have just noticed i can buy it from a local waterstones, say i brought it from them, and the wife opened it at xmas and there was a problem with it, who would i deal with, waterstones oramazon directly?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spaceman05 wrote: »
    about to order one of these for the wife for xmas, need to order now or wont get it in time, i notice when ordering it gives youy an option to purchase a uk adaptor which it says does not come supplied( a bit shocking if you ask me), the wife already has one of the older kindles i brought her a couple years back, will that power adaptor still work in the newer kindle?

Tia

Yes - the charger I got with my Kindle Keyboard a couple of years ago works fine. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and i have just noticed i can buy it from a local waterstones, say i brought it from them, and the wife opened it at xmas and there was a problem with it, who would i deal with, waterstones oramazon directly?

Waterstones I'd imagine.
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member

Waterstones - just like anything you buy from a shop - you deal with the shop and not the manuafctuer
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone got any recommendations for decent covers, other than the standard Amazon £30 version? :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone got any recommendations for decent covers, other than the standard Amazon £30 version? :confused:

I use the same cover as I got for my kindle touch many moons ago, they have them on ebay only cost me a couple of quid and the paperwhite fits almost perfectly in it as its only a few millimeters smaller.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The standard amazon one is quite nice because it puts the kindle to sleep and wakes it up when you open and close it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^^ Thanks both :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I bought the cover for £2.99 ( on amazon site) and it's great. Shuts down kindle when closes.
  • jerpointjerpoint Posts: 50
    Forum Member
    Bought Kindle Paperwhite in Waterstones over the weetkend and have registered it in her name. I havet an ipad with Kindle app and a different account with Amazon. I wish to add my device to her listing and cannot understand how to do it so that she can have my books. Would be grateful for any advice.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Both devices need to be registered to the same amazon account to share books.
  • MandarkMandark Posts: 47,948
    Forum Member
    Anyone having any issues with the Kindle PW wanting to collect info and then rebooting when it's brought out of standby? It was doing it all the time when I put some of my own PDFs on it. I removed them, then it stopped but now it's started doing it again.