Top of the Pops 1981 - BBC 4

Comments

• creasecrease Posts: 498
    Forum Member
    Kat1966 wrote: »
    Really pleased that BBC4 are carrying on with TOTP'81. Possibly my most favourite year musically for me, so many great songs that bring back memories of being 14\15, loving music, fashion and boys in that order!!

Excellent, love this sort of stuff, I was 16 in 81, last Christmas I got Viv Albertines book "Clothes, Clothes, Clothes. Music, Music, Music. Boys, Boys, Boys," I'm guessing you'd either enjoy this or wrote it
  • Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    crease wrote: »
    Excellent, love this sort of stuff, I was 16 in 81, last Christmas I got Viv Albertines book "Clothes, Clothes, Clothes. Music, Music, Music. Boys, Boys, Boys," I'm guessing you'd either enjoy this or wrote it
    I get it. Not the classic troll but just an acquired sense of humour. I like people with a whacky humour, 65'er. ;-)

I wonder in what order Kat1966 would put the fashion, music and opposite sex nowadays?

Can't wait to get stuck into 1981. A watershed year in my very young life, with perfect pop.
  • creasecrease Posts: 498
    Forum Member
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    I get it. Not the classic troll but just an acquired sense of humour. I like people with a whacky humour, 65'er. ;-)

I wonder in what order Kat1966 would put the fashion, music and opposite sex nowadays?

Can't wait to get stuck into 1981. A watershed year in my very young life, with perfect pop.

Are you implying, that I'm Kat1966 ? I've only ever had this account , IP check away , nothing to hide, have you?
  • Cat SimonCat Simon Posts: 622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Torch81 wrote: »
    Are you chatting to yourself or something? :confused:
    Well, the charts are argueing with itself!

http://rebrn.com/re/the-uk-top-looks-like-its-arguing-with-itself-1889298/
  • MarkjukMarkjuk Posts: 30,428
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a shame we won't see the 9th of July's :(

Yes, the 900th edition that brought in the flying records title sequence and Phil Lynott's "Yellow Pearl" theme that would remain in use until 1986.

Hosted by Savile with appearances by Alan Freeman and David Jacobs. So we wont see it again due to Savile hosting it. Clips of the 900th edition exist on Youtube.

The BBC will have no continued right to block DLT's editions after October(ish) 2016. His suspended sentence will have expired by then and he will have technically served what punishment was given. If the BBC continue to block his appearances after this time they will be doing what happened a few years ago with Jonathan King - blocking his appearances but later had to rescind and show his appearances after a complaint and threat of legal action went in by King.
  • dave_windowsdave_windows Posts: 5,937
    Forum Member
    Markjuk wrote: »
    Yes, the 900th edition that brought in the flying records title sequence and Phil Lynott's "Yellow Pearl" theme that would remain in use until 1986.

Hosted by Savile with appearances by Alan Freeman and David Jacobs. So we wont see it again due to Savile hosting it. Clips of the 900th edition exist on Youtube.

The BBC will have no continued right to block DLT's editions after October(ish) 2016. His suspended sentence will have expired by then and he will have technically served what punishment was given. If the BBC continue to block his appearances after this time they will be doing what happened a few years ago with Jonathan King - blocking his appearances but later had to rescind and show his appearances after a complaint and threat of legal action went in by King.

They shouldnt be blocking them in the first place. The past is the past, because which its only us oldies who watch this show on BBC4.

Maybe enough people should complain about the BBC banning the episodes.
  • MarkjukMarkjuk Posts: 30,428
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They shouldnt be blocking them in the first place. The past is the past, because which its only us oldies who watch this show on BBC4.

Maybe enough people should complain about the BBC banning the episodes.

Well I for one will be writing to them regarding DLT editions sometime next year, Fully understand why Savile ones are not shown but the BBC are being overly zealous regarding banning DLT editions. Even the court did not feel his crime was worthy of a custodial sentence.
  • emailsemails Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    is the july 9th 1981 ep of totps on YT in full?
  • darnall42darnall42 Posts: 4,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    emails wrote: »
    is the july 9th 1981 ep of totps on YT in full?
    available in full on vimeo thanks to manorak https://vimeo.com/149716373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    darnall42 wrote: »
    available in full on vimeo thanks to manorak https://vimeo.com/149716373

thanks can i ask is it possible to dowload this video to disc? also does this site host the 1980 christmas speacial?
  • darnall42darnall42 Posts: 4,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thanks can i ask is it possible to dowload this video to disc? also does this site host the 1980 christmas speacial?
    if you click on the download button on the page you can download the MP4 and then burn it to dvd if you wish
  • Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    if you click on the download button on the page you can download the MP4 and then burn it to dvd if you wish

While watchable, the quality when you playback on Dvd is similar to filmised material, just to warn you.

(Is there a way of getting round that, by the way?)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

i did try to have a go at this using freemake but would not download correctly,is the 1980 christmas speacial on this site too
  • Kat1966Kat1966 Posts: 2,553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »

Lol, these days I'm a boring old married lady of 49, so only interested in MrKat!, music not really, not keen on a lot of modern music and fashion, I've found my style and stick to it!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i did try to have a go at this using freemake but would not download correctly,is the 1980 christmas speacial on this site too

I use Freemake.

Have no problems normally.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Westy2 wrote: »
    I use Freemake.

Have no problems normally.

nether do i yet ,but even though freemake DL picked it up it doesn't download the video? even YT DL hasn't worked yet ?
  • ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In case anyone missed it (and apologies if another FM has already spotted this), here's St Etienne's Bob Stanley's (quite compelling) case for 1981 being a pivotal year in pop …

http://www.theguardian.com/music/musicblog/2015/dec/17/1981-pop-year-of-revolution

… even if he does get his facts wrong about Kate Bush! (1981 was 'Sat In Your Lap', not The Dreaming)! :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nether do i yet ,but even though freemake DL picked it up it doesn't download the video? even YT DL hasn't worked yet ?

Arent you using Vimeo's own download option(Cant comment on You Tube as thats more fiddly in my opinion) then burning to disc using Freemake.

(To be honest burning to RW discs then transfering to my Pvr hard drive for further editing, including de Savileing!)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Westy2 wrote: »
    Arent you using Vimeo's own download option(Cant comment on You Tube as thats more fiddly in my opinion) then burning to disc using Freemake.

(To be honest burning to RW discs then transfering to my Pvr hard drive for further editing, including de Savileing!)

yes i did use it & yes it did paste ok to the freemake download too,BUT it came up with this strange message about the downloading of the video,not that was wasn't allowed but somthing else,i'll give it another try & report back
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    further to my last reply this is what i did from vimeo i clicked on download 2 opt 1. in sd the other in original it copied/pasted ok to freemake video DL but then i got this PLAY THE VIDEO YOU WANT IN YOUR BROUSER on doing this windows ex pops up with this PERMISSION DENIED SORRY BUT YOU DO NOT HAVE THE PROPER PERMISSION TO ACESS THIS AREA OF VIMEO so whats gone wrong?
  • Scott_WhittonScott_Whitton Posts: 5,283
    Forum Member

Yes, Xmas day 1980 and New Years Day 1981 (both episodes are hits of 1980) are on there. Watched them both last week.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, Xmas day 1980 and New Years Day 1981 (both episodes are hits of 1980) are on there. Watched them both last week.

well if i could get them downloaded ,it would be all well in good
  • JedikiahJedikiah Posts: 5,396
    Forum Member
    Servalan wrote: »
    In case anyone missed it (and apologies if another FM has already spotted this), here's St Etienne's Bob Stanley's (quite compelling) case for 1981 being a pivotal year in pop …

http://www.theguardian.com/music/musicblog/2015/dec/17/1981-pop-year-of-revolution

… even if he does get his facts wrong about Kate Bush! (1981 was 'Sat In Your Lap', not The Dreaming)! :o
    Freeez with "Southern Freeez" was the jazz-funk song of the year in my opinion, and one that i would have imagined would have influenced the likes of The Style Council and Everything But The Girl by the 1983-84 period. It is such a wonderful example of jazz-funk at its best, which i think in the years that have followed has never quite been bettered. It is such an ice cool track, unlike the irritating Freeez hit "I.O.U" a couple of years later. Maybe the group should have kept the female vocalist on a little longer.

Bob Stanley certainly is very good writer on the subject of pop. 1981 was certainly a pivotal, or watershed, year for pop. Electronic music and jazz-funk were perhaps the most dominant aspects of pop during the year, which in some ways, with regards to jazz-funk, The Beat were perhaps one of the first in giving us a preview of the sounds to come with their hit "Too Nice To Talk To" in the recent 1980 episode. I would say the electronic sounds and jazz-funk filled the gap left by punk/new wave and disco, as their profile diminished drastically through 1981.

The one thing that Bob Stanley failed to mention was the strong hint of a more disposable form of pop, which first came to prominance largely in 1981, which would fully manifest in the late eighties with the likes of Stock, Aitken and Waterman etc. Star Sound, Gidea Park, the Hollies melody, and Blondie tribute melody, sound like an unfortunate preview of what was to come.
  • dave_windowsdave_windows Posts: 5,937
    Forum Member
    Markjuk wrote: »
    Well I for one will be writing to them regarding DLT editions sometime next year, Fully understand why Savile ones are not shown but the BBC are being overly zealous regarding banning DLT editions. Even the court did not feel his crime was worthy of a custodial sentence.

I know. Im a adult im not a child and the TOTP schedule will only appeal to older adults given the time slot its on and its pretty sad they have to block stuff like this thats decades old just because of whos presenting it.

Makes you wonder why the BBC even bother keeping it in the archives if they never plan on sharing it. Ive tried many times to offer to buy a copy of a episode so I can watch it for my personal use but the BBC are extremely arrogant the replies they give.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    further to my last reply this is what i did from vimeo i clicked on download 2 opt 1. in sd the other in original it copied/pasted ok to freemake video DL but then i got this PLAY THE VIDEO YOU WANT IN YOUR BROUSER on doing this windows ex pops up with this PERMISSION DENIED SORRY BUT YOU DO NOT HAVE THE PROPER PERMISSION TO ACESS THIS AREA OF VIMEO so whats gone wrong?

whats going on with this video?
This discussion has been closed.