The Ratings Thread (Part 67)

Comments

• Options
    Dan RDan R Posts: 2,201
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JustChrisM wrote: »

Sunday night TV is the new Saturday night it seems! :D
    I've thought this for a while. Strictly results and BGT final all did better on a Sunday. Maybe things will shift!
  • Options
    Rob1985Rob1985 Posts: 5,194
    Forum Member
    Other than Endeavour, Sunday is the new Tuesday for ITV.
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,672
    Forum Member
    cylon6 wrote: »
    Big Brother is always one incident away from having a well rating series. Whenever something happens, bang, ratings!
    It's come a long way from around 2.0m-2.1m inc. +1 for the early highlights shows. To rally the way it has to hit these heights is quite remarkable.

Would love to see some demos for last night as well. Given how old-skewing some of those BBC and ITV shows are, CBB would be quite high up on the list for 16-34s.
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JustChrisM wrote: »
    Actually thought that Attenborough doc was a repeat! :blush: Well done for it!

Also very good for CBB, almost reaching the 3m mark with +1.

Sunday night TV is the new Saturday night it seems! :D

I thought James May was a repeat. Will be watching that one.

As an FYI, on Saturday 23rd January:

The Getaway Car: 3.61m
    Ninja Warrior UK: 4.05m/4.19m (140k on +1)
    Take Me Out: 3.11m/3.37m (260k on +1)
    Jonathan Ross: 2.07m/2.24m (170k on +1)
  • Options
    sn_22sn_22 Posts: 6,475
    Forum Member
    BBC One's early evening line up still going great guns. The nature documentaries can be curious things - they either really take off like last night or Frozen Planet, or they can wind up languishing like Great Barrier Reef did. I suppose it comes down to subject matter and you can't really beat 'Giant Dinosaur' in a title, but they're difficult beasts to predict.

Call the Midwife naturally seems to be fading just a little in its fifth series, but it's not alarming, while I'm pleased War & Peace has held steady. It made a big ask of viewers at first, but has really hit its stride and I think will go down as a major success.

Incidentally, I know it's fashionable to criticise the BBCs 'old folks TV' on a Sunday night - but you have to hand it to the schedule they turned out last night - two huge dramas, a flagship nature doc, a big comedy, perennially popular magazine show and MOTD highlights. Impressive.
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From seagull_Mark on the BT Sport forum
    BTS1 - Norwich v Liverpool; 657,000 (peak of 1.068million)

Super Sunday on Sky Arsenal v Chelsea had 1.563m with a peak of 2.508m!
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    It's come a long way from around 2.0m-2.1m inc. +1 for the early highlights shows. To rally the way it has to hit these heights is quite remarkable.

Would love to see some demos for last night as well. Given how old-skewing some of those BBC and ITV shows are, CBB would be quite high up on the list for 16-34s.

Why is it that most 16-34 audience are morons who watch crap? They should be watching Channel 4 instead.
  • Options
    ScoreScore Posts: 17,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought James May was a repeat. Will be watching that one.

As an FYI, on Saturday 23rd January:

The Getaway Car: 3.61m
    Ninja Warrior UK: 4.05m/4.14m (140k on +1)
    Take Me Out: 3.11m/3.37m (260k on +1)
    Jonathan Ross: 2.07m/2.24m (170k on +1)

Thanks for all the figures Cylon. :)

Did Ninja Warrior get 90k or 140k on +1 as the figures don't quite match?

Do you have anything for Mr Selfridge on Friday? :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    derek500 wrote: »
    From seagull_Mark on the BT Sport forum
    Well there's no justice in that!

Those Saturday lunchtime kickoffs...limited is the word. Shame.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Servalan wrote: »
    BIB - it's hard to see Beowulf as being anything other than in decline, in which case ITV is facing the prospect of another awkward climbdown after having greenlit a second series of an expensive drama that is getting embarassing ratings. There should also be some questions from ITV's independent suppliers about why series from ITV Studios are treated very differently from those made externally, when it comes to recommissioning ...

Beowulf is awful. Maybe people weren't interested in the idea from the start but if it was good there might be a bit more word of mouth about it. A programme that starts low and STILL manages to go lower is not good enough. It should have been held back to a less competitive slot but its crapness would still be found out. It's like watching amateur theatre round the corner from your house every Sunday.

How could they let a programme this bad get to air? Remember, somebody saw the rushes and final edit and thought "Yeah this is brilliant! No changes needed. Put it on!" How did this happen?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Why is it that most 16-34 audience are morons who watch crap? They should be watching Channel 4 instead.
    I could say something here but I won't.

Feel free to start a "why do people watch shows I don't like?" thread elsewhere. We're not doing that here, it's needlessly argumentative.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Score wrote: »
    Thanks for all the figures Cylon. :)

Did Ninja Warrior get 90k or 140k on +1 as the figures don't quite match?

Do you have anything for Mr Selfridge on Friday? :)

Oh yes! You're right. My mistake. 4.19m with +1.

Nothing for Friday sadly but I've asked around for the Mr Selfridge rating.
  • Options
    gavin shipmangavin shipman Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member
    Fantastic for CBB. It's been a fantastic series this year better than last year as its been a lot more fun.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    Well there's no justice in that!

Those Saturday lunchtime kickoffs...limited is the word. Shame.

The best game of the weekend got the lowest rating of the televised games. No justice.
  • Options
    FlySiFlySi Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    Anything for Countryfile? Would be interesting to see how it held up (slightly) earlier in the schedule.
  • Options
    RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember the days when dinosaur programmes used to get 15m (19m including repeat).... ;-)

Still. Very eye catching number though it did steal Countryfile's slot.

And Attenborough doesn't guarantee big ratings. Great Barrier Reef hardly set the world alight.
  • Options
    ScoreScore Posts: 17,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh yes! You're right. My mistake. 4.19m with +1.

Nothing for Friday sadly but I've asked around for the Mr Selfridge rating.

Great, thank you. :) Broadcast has a Friday report up but I can't access it for some reason. Might work again later.

Ninja Warrior doing pretty well. It is down 8% on last year so far but that's mainly because of the one off Sunday 6pm episode. Throw that out and it's down less than 3% which is fine considering it overlaps with The Voice and isn't alongside BGT. Take Me Out is actually up. Impressive as it clashes with The Voice a lot more this year.

Beowulf is dire. 1.6m is dire. Surely they can't keep it in that slot? Endeavour would be closer to 5m with a better lead-in, it is actively dragging down the 8pm drama and inflating BBC1's 7pm hour offerings. Diabolical.
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    lewiep93 wrote: »
    Overnights.tv ‏@overnightstv 5s5 seconds ago
    When dinosaurs ruled TV: #Attenboroughandthegiantdinosaur brought out the wonder in amazing 7.5m/34.8% on BBC1 http://www.overnights.tv

Jonathan Reed ‏@JonathanReed01 18s18 seconds ago
    Attenborough and the Giant Dinosaur watched by similarly impressive 7.5m on @BBCOne last night - peaked at 8.5m

Wowsers :o Did NOT expect that rating.

It was a thoroughly entertaining doc
    + Attenborough + dinosaurs = big ratings
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The best game of the weekend got the lowest rating of the televised games. No justice.
    I can think of a few reasons why it won't happen but imagine if they ditched the 12:45 kickoffs and introduced a 7:30 or 7:45 kickoff on Saturday nights (keeping the 5:30 k/o also).

That would shake things up a bit, wouldn't it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    3.2m (14.3%) for Mr. Selfridge.

2.6m (11.6%) for part 1 of CBB's eviction, including +1.
  • Options
    Ryan_RichardsRyan_Richards Posts: 188
    Forum Member
    BBC 1 is so strong on a Sunday night.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    BBC 1 is so strong on a Sunday night.
    Different league to the others, for sure.

Such a turnaround from when I first started following ratings. ITV owned Sundays then with the likes of Heartbeat, The Royal, Wild at Heart, etc.

BBC One often did well also but were playing second fiddle most of the time.
  • Options
    yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    Score wrote: »
    Great, thank you. :) Broadcast has a Friday report up but I can't access it for some reason. Might work again later.

Ninja Warrior doing pretty well. It is down 8% on last year so far but that's mainly because of the one off Sunday 6pm episode. Throw that out and it's down less than 3% which is fine considering it overlaps with The Voice and isn't alongside BGT. Take Me Out is actually up. Impressive as it clashes with The Voice a lot more this year.

Beowulf is dire. 1.6m is dire. Surely they can't keep it in that slot? Endeavour would be closer to 5m with a better lead-in, it is actively dragging down the 8pm drama and inflating BBC1's 7pm hour offerings. Diabolical.

I think TMO is only up because last year it was abandoned in the worst Saturday night schedules ITV have ever had and so suffered.
  • Options
    RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I also remember the days when the only source of (official) ratings was Oracle/ITV Teletext and its weekly top 30s, and when that tragically ended it was any newspaper (The Sun on a Thursday I think) that published a Top 10 TV shows list (BBC1 rarely getting more than EE, Neighbours and one other in it). If I was in Manchester I might find a copy of Broadcast in WH Smiths and stand there reading the wealth of ratings data in that!

We're blessed today by those standards.
  • Options
    Alleycat666Alleycat666 Posts: 8,737
    Forum Member
    FlySi wrote: »
    Anything for Countryfile? Would be interesting to see how it held up (slightly) earlier in the schedule.

I'd be interested in this too - if anyone has it please?

Thanks
This discussion has been closed.