Options

The Durrells - ITV

silversoxsilversox Posts: 5,204
Forum Member
edited 28/02/18 - 10:25 in UK TV Shows #1
........ coming soon to ITV. Having read all the Gerald Durrell books some years ago I was thrilled to hear that ITV have made a six part drama about the Durrells. Unfortunately, judging by the trailer, it looks to be more of a comedy or farce which could spoil it for me. What do other DS members think?

Comments

• Options
    H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It looks in the same vien as the Darling Buds. I think it looks great.
  • Options
    jonnyjackovjonnyjackov Posts: 2,384
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quite surprised there hasn't been more discussion on this. I really enjoyed it. Made a change from all the heavy dramas that have been on lately - it seems quite lighthearted.

Was amazed after I watched it and looked up the actress who played the mother. Didn't realise it was Denton from Line of Duty.

What did anyone else think of it?

EDIT - Oh -just found the other thread. I searched and searched for a thread, does the search feature not work on DS. If I search for the Durrells I get zero results: confused:
  • Options
    atgatg Posts: 4,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was OK, but getting further and further from the original stories. It doesn't seem all that long since the last dramatisation of them.

I expect I will continue watching, but it felt a bit thin at times.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quite surprised there hasn't been more discussion on this. I really enjoyed it. Made a change from all the heavy dramas that have been on lately - it seems quite lighthearted.

Was amazed after I watched it and looked up the actress who played the mother. Didn't realise it was Denton from Line of Duty.

What did anyone else think of it?

EDIT - Oh -just found the other thread. I searched and searched for a thread, does the search feature not work on DS. If I search for the Durrells I get zero results: confused:
    Can you link to it please because I can't find it at all.
  • Options
    jonnyjackovjonnyjackov Posts: 2,384
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I searched the first 5 pages on here, at least 5 times, then suddenly saw the thread on page 1. Either I am going mad or this forum is!!!

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2144784
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I searched the first 5 pages on here, at least 5 times, then suddenly saw the thread on page 1. Either I am going mad or this forum is!!!

No, me too. It doesn't exactly go out of its way to say what programme it's about.
  • Options
    NickelbackNickelback Posts: 23,764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wasn't expecting it to be so funny, I really liked it, roll on next episode...:)
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A farce is a comedy.
  • Options
    H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was great. Perfect for Sunday nights after Countryfile.
  • Options
    TiggywinkTiggywink Posts: 3,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nickelback wrote: »
    I wasn't expecting it to be so funny, I really liked it, roll on next episode...:)

It's also much more about the Mother than earlier versions.
  • Options
    SepangBlueSepangBlue Posts: 4,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I sympathise with you here jonnyjackov .. I've sometimes either started a thread or posted in one and a matter of days later it's already slipped down to page 5 and beyond.

What annoys me on here are those self righteous types who, when posting in a thread such as this, sanctimoniously proclaim that there's already a perfectly good thread going on such and such a topic. I don't think it's their place to 'police' the forum - it's up to the mods to merge threads (if appropriate) and put up a notice on the front page to that effect. However, there never appears to be any evidence that there are active mods on here, so we're left to flounder about by ourselves!

That said, I really enjoyed the first episode of The Durrells. It's nice and light and, although it's based on the books, it doesn't have to slavishly follow them.

Daisy Waterstone as Margo is good .. I think I saw her recently in Cyberbully. The others (with the exception of Keeley Hawes of course .. big Spooks fan here) are all new to me, which makes a nice change.

My only real criticism would be that either the older teenage children are being played by actors considerably older than their characters' ages, or Keeley Hawes, who turned 40 in February, is wrong for the part of mother, as she really doesn't look nearly old enough!
  • Options
    daisydeedaisydee Posts: 39,626
    Forum Member
    A farce is a comedy.

Not necessarily. This was a bit of a farce without being very funny. I couldn't emphasise with any of the characters - the writer-son seemed to be particularly unpleasant. I really dislike wild creatures of any species being captured, so not sure if this series is for me.
  • Options
    Daisy_DukeDaisy_Duke Posts: 1,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed this, but agree that Keeley doesn't look old enough to be mother to the older boys :)
  • Options
    MrEdgarFinchleyMrEdgarFinchley Posts: 513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SepangBlue wrote: »
    I sympathise with you here jonnyjackov .. I've sometimes either started a thread or posted in one and a matter of days later it's already slipped down to page 5 and beyond.

What annoys me on here are those self righteous types who, when posting in a thread such as this, sanctimoniously proclaim that there's already a perfectly good thread going on such and such a topic. I don't think it's their place to 'police' the forum - it's up to the mods to merge threads (if appropriate) and put up a notice on the front page to that effect. However, there never appears to be any evidence that there are active mods on here, so we're left to flounder about by ourselves!

If it helps (I've used this for a few months now as the Search function doesn't work properly if at all).

Just do a google search on [in this case] Durrells digital spy - and it usually picks up threads.
  • Options
    jabegyjabegy Posts: 6,201
    Forum Member
    I really liked it. It'll make nice gentle viewing for Sunday nights.
  • Options
    J JJ J Posts: 121
    Forum Member
    jabegy wrote: »

I liked The Durrells too. I also really enjoyed BBC one's Our Zoo, which would have made nice gentle viewing for a Sunday night but for some strange reason was scheduled starting at 9pm on a Wednesday.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A farce is a comedy.

Some farces are comedies, some comedies are farces.
  • Options
    SepangBlueSepangBlue Posts: 4,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it helps (I've used this for a few months now as the Search function doesn't work properly if at all).

Just do a google search on [in this case] Durrells digital spy - and it usually picks up threads.

Thanks for that .. a helpful post for once! :)
  • Options
    allafixallafix Posts: 20,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    atg wrote: »
    I thought it was OK, but getting further and further from the original stories. It doesn't seem all that long since the last dramatisation of them.

I expect I will continue watching, but it felt a bit thin at times.
    I think the aim is to make a recurring series based loosely on the characters. Original stories will soon run out.
    jabegy wrote: »
    What is it about Sundays that makes people want or expect "gentle viewing"? No problem that you like that kind of viewing but does it matter what day of the week it is?
  • Options
    yellowlabbieyellowlabbie Posts: 59,081
    Forum Member
    I loved it, it's just my cup of tea and great for a Sunday evening. Although any night would be OK for me. I too can't wait for the next episode.
  • Options
    HeavenlyHeavenly Posts: 31,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love this programme - Darling Buds in Greece.

Charming, perfect Sunday night tv. :)
  • Options
    el1aineel1aine Posts: 381
    Forum Member
    I certainly don't consider it a farce, so given the stark choice I will have to say comedy. I remember the previous series well, and have read one of the books. If pushed I would say that I preferred the last series, but this one is watchable, entertaining, and the actor playing the youngest son is quite a find. I predict a starry future. Larry's friends are getting a bit annoying though.
  • Options
    curmycurmy Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    el1aine wrote: »
    I certainly don't consider it a farce, so given the stark choice I will have to say comedy. I remember the previous series well, and have read one of the books. If pushed I would say that I preferred the last series, but this one is watchable, entertaining, and the actor playing the youngest son is quite a find. I predict a starry future. Larry's friends are getting a bit annoying though.

I watched the original series in 1987, & this present one is straying a long way from the book, also Simon Nye is making the characters a lot more obnoxious , which could be the truth , I suppose .
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It fails as a comedy. It's not funny.

Why are they all so miserable, whiny and whingy? If it's that bad on Corfu, go back to Bournemouth.
  • Options
    curmycurmy Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It fails as a comedy. It's not funny.

Why are they all so miserable, whiny and whingy? If it's that bad on Corfu, go back to Bournemouth.

They were all slightly tetchy in the original series, as well as funny & eccentric ,but in this series the children just come across as obnoxious !