Undercover BBC1

Comments

• niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Back to the thread topic...

If I'm ever being interviewed by one of the country's top lawyers, do you think it's worth trying the line "Jesus wants to see your breasts"?

What are the chances of that working in real life?
  • makeba72makeba72 Posts: 5,723
    Forum Member

If I'm ever being interviewed by one of the country's top lawyers, do you think it's worth trying the line "Jesus wants to see your breasts"?

I think you should definitely give it a go and report back here on what happens. Especially if the lawyer is male ;-) :D
  • i4ui4u Posts: 54,917
    Forum Member
    As admitted the above is way off topic...why doesn't one of you start a thread and take your debate there?
    Forum Member
    i4u wrote: »
    As admitted the above is way off topic...why doesn't one of you start a thread and take your debate there?

Yes, apologies. If the other poster wants to respond via a new thread and point us at it, I shall happily continue that elsewhere. :)
  • IronwithinIronwithin Posts: 461
    Forum Member
    I know its a drama but it is so ridiculous I cant take it seriously. The lawyer woman seems to be so unprofessional there is no way she would get the top job unless for some PC or propaganda reason.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    makeba72 wrote: »
    I think you should definitely give it a go and report back here on what happens. Especially if the lawyer is male ;-) :D

I'm sure Jesus could adjust his request accordingly.
  • seejay63seejay63 Posts: 8,800
    Forum Member
    Oh dear.

This is going massively off-topic, so apologies to other posters, but as I consider this topic important, I'm going to give it one last go.

Let's be very clear. Your record to date is that you found it 'ridiculous' when I asked you if your need for historical accuracy extended to age, height, nationality and so on. You still refuse to properly respond to that point. You are 'confused' by Shakespeare plays that are done with props/costumes that are not from the timeline you think they should be portrayed in. You now try to claim above that you speak for 'most people'...!

You have therefore absolutely failed to answer the very basic question about why race matters to you in terms of historical accuracy, but other things apparently don't. Period,

You have absolutely ignored the points that I and numerous other posters here have made about how drama works. I absolutely 'accuse' (your word, not mine) you of this, because it's blatantly what you've done. If you can't see that, then I really don't know what to say, because it's as plain as day. Seriously... I'm not writing this post without reason. And the (unnecessary) leap to making angry posts has come from you, not me.

I'll happily answer your questions when (if...) you finally answer mine. Your choices about accuracy appear to be entirely arbitrary. Why, for example, do you not insist that the actor for Margaret be French, but you are apparently discombobulated if they are black? I repeat - it's called acting. It's all pretend. It really doesn't matter and if (for some reason) you can't handle a black actor playing that role, it really is your problem, not anyone else's. You're being asked to suspend belief in all sorts of other areas when you watch a drama - the history is never spot on, the dialogue is not verbatim and will probably be in modern English, etc etc etc. So why would that one issue of 'accuracy' in a drama be such a problem for you when the others are apparently not?

You are reading what you want to read into my very clear posts. Try reading what I actually read.

BIB - If I'm watching a drama which purports to be in a particular time period, then I expect the history to be 'spot on'.

Another thing which really bugs me is when a character is played as a child and then as an adult, and they don't even bother to make sure the eye colour matches. Maybe I notice little details too much.

In the dreadful The White Queen, at the beginning in 1461 Anne and Isabel Neville and Richard Duke of Gloucester were all played by adults, when they were aged 5, 7 and 9 respectively at the time (they did however correctly show Henry Tudor as a child). Historical inaccuracy like that really annoys me.
    Forum Member

Believe me I'm sick of being picked on and accused of something I'm not guilty of.
    Yes, apologies. If the other poster wants to respond via a new thread and point us at it, I shall happily continue that elsewhere. :)

You'll be on your own.
    Forum Member
    Ironwithin wrote: »
    I know its a drama but it is so ridiculous I cant take it seriously. The lawyer woman seems to be so unprofessional there is no way she would get the top job unless for some PC or propaganda reason.

It would help if she actually turned up at work occasionally.

Phil Davies is very under-used in this.
    Forum Member
    seejay63 wrote: »
    You are reading what you want to read into my very clear posts. Try reading what I actually read.

I have read exactly what you said. As has everyone else. You seem to be totally blind to what you're writing.
    You'll be on your own.

... and to back that up, you refuse to answer questions and engage in debate elsewhere. And that is really very worrying...

Anyway, congrats - you've just made it onto my ignore list. It's unbelievable that on a friendly chat about a TV programme, I feel forced to take such steps
  • Maq_QamMaq_Qam Posts: 1,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BIB - If I'm watching a drama which purports to be in a particular time period, then I expect the history to be 'spot on'.

A modern drama would normally have that approach, but, like I said before, it's anachronistic to apply those requirements to productions of plays written centuries before the film and television era. The conventions governing those dramas are, or at least certainly can be, very different.
    Forum Member
    I have read exactly what you said. As has everyone else. You seem to be totally blind to what you're writing.

... and to back that up, you refuse to answer questions and engage in debate elsewhere. And that is really very worrying...

Anyway, congrats - you've just made it onto my ignore list. It's unbelievable that on a friendly chat about a TV programme, I feel forced to take such steps

You've just proved that you haven't read or understood what I've said which says quite a lot about you. Likewise I've put you on my ignore list which is a rare thing for me to do.
    Forum Member
    Maq_Qam wrote: »
    A modern drama would normally have that approach, but, like I said before, it's anachronistic to apply those requirements to productions of plays written centuries before the pre-film and television eras. The conventions governing those dramas are, or at least certainly can be, very different.

Thank you. :) A polite and succinct explanation which makes a lot of sense. More than can be said for some posters.

You mentioned dramas from other playwrights of the era, and even ones from Greek/Roman times. I have to admit to not having seen any of those - we have a very limited (but excellent I have to say) local amateur dramatic societies, and I mainly go to watch musical theatre. None of them have tackled any really 'serious' drama. In fact does anybody these days? There is a touring company which comes every year to do outside Shakespeare. I haven't had the nerve to test the weather out for one of them but have got tickets for this year's (so fingers crossed that it doesn't rain).
  • AmethyztAmethyzt Posts: 4,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would help if she actually turned up at work occasionally.

Phil Davies is very under-used in this.

Agree with both these points.
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't think it is the first drama to play on that quid pro quo.

I think the author wanted to show how far she would go in her quest for the truth. Whether there were better alternatives? probably. Though I wonder that since the author has a legal background that women lawyers are actually subject to this type of request?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tealady wrote: »
    I don't think it is the first drama to play on that quid pro quo.

I think the author wanted to show how far she would go in her quest for the truth. Whether there were better alternatives? probably. Though I wonder that since the author has a legal background that women lawyers are actually subject to this type of request?

I'm sure that the low-lifes women lawyers have to mix with would make such requests from time to time, but how many lawyers would comply?
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure that the low-lifes women lawyers have to mix with would make such requests from time to time, but how many lawyers would comply?
    Dramatic license. Though as can been seen by this thread, appetite for this is low.
  • Ess_BeeEss_Bee Posts: 7,716
    Forum Member
    It's not on next Sunday cos of the BAFTA's! We have to wait till 15th May for the denouement. :cry:
  • FrankBTFrankBT Posts: 4,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The handler had told his bosses that he had taken out insurance on the family, the blonde is an agent and makes claim of rape against the son….to keep the parents busy and as a shot across their bows?
    Nothing so far to suggest the blonde girl is an agent or the 'insurance claim' whatever that is, but maybe a 'honey trap', A claim of rape would be easily disproved if it didn't take place especially since Dan's mum is a lawyer. If she tries to harm Dan surely that would be enough for Nick to turn against his handlers. But there is something iffy about her, no doubt.
  • trevor tigertrevor tiger Posts: 37,996
    Forum Member

On Marcella an ITV show the female police detective almost got hers out without even being asked :o She unbuttoned her shirt to show her cleavage and put on perfume and then sat right next to a supposed serial killer in the interview room baiting him to try to get him to confess and it worked :o

These shows are helping in bringing all sorts of professional women into disrepute :(
  • GroundhogalGroundhogal Posts: 9,491
    Forum Member
    Ess_Bee wrote: »
    It's not on next Sunday cos of the BAFTA's! We have to wait till 15th May for the denouement. :cry:

I'm guessing, when it comes to unravelling the plot threads, even Alexander would have trouble with this Gordian Knot of silliness.
  • flashfictionflashfiction Posts: 10,500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    WE just watched eps 1-3 back to back . Disappointed as was supposed to be "gripping". The only suspense for me was Ep 1. Came on here to see what other people thought of it.

Shame, this could have been great - some fab actors, the premise had potential but a damp squib.
    ( It doesn't help we that we just finished Line of Duty, I suppose. )

The writer Peter Moffatt seems to have had his fair share of nominations so maybe usually his work is better?
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0595584/awards?ref_=nm_awd
    Forum Member
    WE just watched eps 1-3 back to back . Disappointed as was supposed to be "gripping". The only suspense for me was Ep 1. Came on here to see what other people thought of it.

Well it seems I'm in a minority - along with my husband - because we DO find it gripping.
  • miss buzzybeemiss buzzybee Posts: 16,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ess_Bee wrote: »

Yes terrible scheduling!
  • CABINETCABINET Posts: 1,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes terrible scheduling!

There I was congratulating myself that this would finish just in time for my hols but no :(

I will be waiting rather more than two weeks for the conclusion.