Marcella - ITV Weekly Episode Discusson

Comments

• NihongaNihonga Posts: 10,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lindenlea wrote: »
    I thought this episode started to link the various characters together and it's all becoming a bit clearer how people are connected … is that just me, then?

I do agree with the comments querying how anyone could think that bumping off the top council planning officer would make any difference to approval of development plans. OK, the background research had indicated that the top guy was squeaky clean and others in the department may have had some leverage points, but the same rules apply whoever is in charge. The only thing I took away from that was it wasn't what Jason intended when he asked for a solution.

Thoroughly enjoying the series still and happy we aren't near the end yet - time for some twists (or more new characters).

Yes, it did. But that's because the episode actually spent time developing those links rather than have a quick scene to introduce this new (oftentime nameless, sometimes faceless) character then you don't see them for the rest of the episode.

As for Jason, well, his intructions were hardly clear. He wanted the problem got rid of, or least taken care of ASAP and by any means. What did he expect when he decided to sort things out using the dark arts? He's been written to be a complete idiotic selfish sod. He even appeared to have a mini grudge being there for his dumped wife as she celebrated the death of their baby daugther Juliet. And all that after he turns up hoping that she, dumped wife, would break the law to help him get his job back, and all because he didn't have the balls to tell his girlfriend's mother in the first place that he was in a relationship with her daughter from whose delicate backside this mother believes the sun and stars shine.
  • NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nihonga wrote: »
    It's story isn't that particularly interesting. But as a drama that deceptively appears to be bonkers, it is interesting.
    That's it in a nutshell for me. It's really quite bonkers but doesn't pretend to be anything but entertainment (and I'm really not sure where it will go / how it will end) whereas Undercover which seems to be terribly serious and ishoo-driven is simply daft. And wasn't (imo) particularly entertaining.
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    I think Blacklock said that if they had some green space which was available for public amenity use as part of the project then there should be no objections.

Seems pretty fundamental stuff to me - councils regularly put in such clauses when granting planning permisiion for large developments. Shoud have been discussed at the early stages of the development planning.

You mean Backland, don't you.
    Developers always try and move the goalposts and reduce their public green space/social housing commitment.
    The public Sky Garden at the Walkie Talkie caused a fallout with the Council.
    I've worked on projects where they've just kept resubmitting to planning in an effort to simply grind the council down to get what they want.
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Yes, it did. But that's because the episode actually spent time developing those links rather than have a quick scene to introduce this new (oftentime nameless, sometimes faceless) character then you don't see them for the rest of the episode.

As for Jason, well, his intructions were hardly clear. He wanted the problem got rid of, or least taken care of ASAP and by any means. What did he expect when he decided to sort things out using the dark arts? He's been written to be a complete idiotic selfish sod. He even appeared to have a mini grudge being there for his dumped wife as she celebrated the death of their baby daugther Juliet. And all that after he turns up hoping that she, dumped wife, would break the law to help him get his job back, and all because he didn't have the balls to tell his girlfriend's mother in the first place that he was in a relationship with her daughter from whose delicate backside this mother believes the sun and stars shine.

We, as punters watching a drama might see Jason's instructions as a bit vague and liable to lead to this sort of thing, but in real life, prostitutes, drugs, brown envelopes and been 'lent' a new car is the usual grease employed, rather than hot lead.
    BIB You sure celebrate is the word you're after there?
  • daisy_johnsdaisy_johns Posts: 845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I first thought Marcella was Grace's killer, revenge, but now I'm not so sure. Also, has Maddy's boyfriend been found yet, wasn't he washed up on a beach? I might have missed that bit :)
  • farmer bobfarmer bob Posts: 27,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's too much going on. Strangely compelling though, at times.
  • Anne_CameronAnne_Cameron Posts: 4,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You mean Backland, don't you.
    Developers always try and move the goalposts and reduce their public green space/social housing commitment.
    The public Sky Garden at the Walkie Talkie caused a fallout with the Council.
    I've worked on projects where they've just kept resubmitting to planning in an effort to simply grind the council down to get what they want.

I did mean Backland, Blacklock is my neighbour! (You don't think he might be involved somehow??!!)

I was really making the point that they seemed to have come to a stop with the planning permission and the project was likely to fail, but any planner/developer worth their salt would have been throwing in the idea of green space/amenity use as a possible way of moving the project forward at a much earlier stage of the planning process. It was hardly a lightbulb moment.
  • SATMSATM Posts: 3,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I first thought Marcella was Grace's killer, revenge, but now I'm not so sure. Also, has Maddy's boyfriend been found yet, wasn't he washed up on a beach? I might have missed that bit :)

During her interview with Peter, I seem to remember Marcella had told him that his DNA was all over the body of Maddy's boyfriend.
  • NihongaNihonga Posts: 10,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We, as punters watching a drama might see Jason's instructions as a bit vague and liable to lead to this sort of thing, but in real life, prostitutes, drugs, brown envelopes and been 'lent' a new car is the usual grease employed, rather than hot lead.
    BIB You sure celebrate is the word you're after there?

Why on earth did I write "celebrate"?!? Talk about dead brain! Thanks for the correction:). Meant to write " mourned".
  • Andy-BAndy-B Posts: 6,800
    Forum Member
    You've definitely got to fink ard for this one.

It's a proper puzzle with clues and everything.
  • cedricthedogcedricthedog Posts: 2,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why on earth did I write "celebrate"?!? Talk about dead brain! Thanks for the correction:). Meant to write " mourned".

When you wrote "celebrated" I read it that you had intended to put "commemorated" :)
  • Crawley CutieCrawley Cutie Posts: 10,946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BellaRosa wrote: »
    :o What the !!!!!! Think I must watch the last episode as I will be none the wiser to what is going on :D

Yes, I plan to do just that ;-)

I will read about the culmination of the plot, on here - then, watch the final episode.....

Until then, I am out !!! The many plot strands & excess of characters are all too much for me :D
  • Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ian Puleston-Davies was the best thing in this show but now (after inexplicably confessing all his crimes to Marcella after she used a dash of perfume and a verbal ploy so obvious a baboon with dementia could spot it a mile off) he is gone.

Has there ever been a show with so many unlikable characters?

Peter was a serial killer but at least he was interesting. :D

I think Stuart has a brain tumour which can cause people to behave in a violent manner - Charles Whitman being the most famous example of this.

Is he the copycat killer?

Is Bendek?

Is the janitor from Scooby Doo the killer?

I haven't a clue.
  • JaymaJayma Posts: 6,418
    Forum Member
    its not that difficult to follow, not saying it isnt complex but its hardly string theory, put tablets and phones down and focus on the storyline.

It didn't help that I watched this week's episode just after I'd caught up with Game of Thrones, which definitely distracted me. Totally lost the plot with Marcella this week.
  • re_hashedre_hashed Posts: 178
    Forum Member
    To me this programe is very much like reading a book; each episode is like a new chapter with new characters, a new'ish storyline and only very briefly covering what has happened previously.

Like a book does, I would expect that the penultimate episode (chapter) will start pulling everything together, and the last episode (chapter) will be rounding everything off nicely.

I for one, love this program. Totally lost with the names, and some of the other things, but that doesn't matter to me.
  • NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When you wrote "celebrated" I read it that you had intended to put "commemorated" :)
    And nowadays, we do commonly 'celebrate' the life of someone that has died (though not a baby or even a child) so when I read it I did think it was easy to inadvertently use it in an instance like this.
  • Almira GAlmira G Posts: 18,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Faust wrote: »
    I'm not fully convinced that your average ITV audience are used to complex plot lines in their programmes.

:o^_^:blush:
  • Stephen_MillerStephen_Miller Posts: 192
    Forum Member
    I wonder if Maddy dies
  • steftymosteftymo Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    I think Lee Adama (Apollo) from Battlestar Galactica is the murderer. He doesn't seem to serve any other purpose.
  • ChateauMarmontChateauMarmont Posts: 2,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who does everyone think is the killer?

For some reason I believed it was Maddy. Although everyone else thinks it's the ginger guy dating Matthew (Henry's friend). He seems the most obvious person right now anyway.

I just can't help thinking there are tens of better actresses who could've played Marcella. And then I would've liked the programme a little more. They really have covered every race/sexual orientation/stereotype in this programme. It's so obvious to watch!
  • prehensileprehensile Posts: 5,091
    Forum Member
    My money for the killer is on Jamie Bamber (DI Tim Williamson - Marcella's old mate / borderline stalker) mainly on the grounds that, so far, he's had very little screen time relative to his general standing / track record as an actor.

I'd also place a cheeky each-way bet on Nina Sosanya (DCI Laura Porter - Marcella's old boss) for the same reason. :D
  • davie1924davie1924 Posts: 2,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just hate that bloody parka that she wears - she's about 20 years too old for it
  • kattkatt Posts: 10,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who does everyone think is the killer?

For some reason I believed it was Maddy. Although everyone else thinks it's the ginger guy dating Matthew (Henry's friend). He seems the most obvious person right now anyway.

I just can't help thinking there are tens of better actresses who could've played Marcella. And then I would've liked the programme a little more. They really have covered every race/sexual orientation/stereotype in this programme. It's so obvious to watch!

no clue!!!! I get more confused but this programme every week - its bonkers!
  • canaries333canaries333 Posts: 716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How many more episodes, is this the penultimate? Am finding it a hard slog to be honest but have invested my time so far, now want it to be concluded.
  • Stephen_MillerStephen_Miller Posts: 192
    Forum Member
    How many more episodes, is this the penultimate? Am finding it a hard slog to be honest but have invested my time so far, now want it to be concluded.

Tonight's episode

Next Mon and Tue

(think it's because sport is on the following week)