Options

BBC4 Y Gwyll / Hinterland

lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
Forum Member
✭✭✭
There was a trailer on BBC4 earlier for the next series of Y Gwyll / Hinterland on BBC4 starting 23rd April, this will be the one that was on BBC 1 Wales in December / January (I think).

Comments

• Options
    tartan-belletartan-belle Posts: 14,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, it was on their FB page.

I got all excited before realising I'd already seen it on the iplayer in Welsh...
  • Options
    WhoAteMeDinnerWhoAteMeDinner Posts: 4,612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    More worrying is that this is the last drama series they have trailed for 2016.
    So maybe Saturdays from the end of May will be wall to wall TOTP from the 1970s,
    uhhh yippppeee.
  • Options
    tim123tim123 Posts: 3,563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, it was on their FB page.

I got all excited before realising I'd already seen it on the iplayer in Welsh...

Did you actually watch it in Welsh or do they subtitle it for the majority in Wales who don't understand a word of the language

tim
  • Options
    plateletplatelet Posts: 26,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yep it's beginning to irritate me trying to keep track of when is a new series a new series to me with this.

I think there's a golden opportunity with iplayer for it. They could launch all three versions at the same time and just let people pick which language mix they want, then just use the most appropriate on the broadcast newtork
  • Options
    davie1924davie1924 Posts: 2,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was subtitled into English but was crap. It will be a huge disappointment to those who enjoyed the excellent Trapped and Follow The Money.
  • Options
    apaulapaul Posts: 9,846
    Forum Member
    Already seen it in English on the I Player at the start of the year. Might watch it again as it is very good.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tim123 wrote: »
    Did you actually watch it in Welsh or do they subtitle it for the majority in Wales who don't understand a word of the language

tim

They show the series on S4C in Welsh, they then show on BBC 1 Wales and BBC 4 in English but with some dialogue in Welsh which is subtitled. This is quite natural because often people in Wales will speak a mixture of English and Welsh, Welsh mostly amongst themselves but even then they will often speak English even sonetimes between people who can understand Welsh.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    platelet wrote: »
    Yep it's beginning to irritate me trying to keep track of when is a new series a new series to me with this.

I think there's a golden opportunity with iplayer for it. They could launch all three versions at the same time and just let people pick which language mix they want, then just use the most appropriate on the broadcast newtork

There are only two versions.

All Welsh

A mixture and English and Welsh with the English subtitled. There is not a version that is completely done in English.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    There are only two versions.

All Welsh

A mixture and English and Welsh with the English subtitled. There is not a version that is completely done in English.

Three apparently (according to that bastion of reliability wikipedia). Though only two are broadcast in the UK
    On-demand streaming service Netflix streams both series online across North America, South America, and Japan. The version available on Netflix is not the same as either version originally transmitted in the United Kingdom and is an almost exclusively an English language version, excluding the Welsh language seemingly entirely with one exception, where a spoken Welsh poem is badly mistranslated in the closed captions as "[Speaking German]"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I just think that if people can follow The Bridge (Swedish and Danish) or Trapped in Icelandic or Spiral in French or whatever, they can also follow a Welsh drama with English subs...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just think that if people can follow The Bridge (Swedish and Danish) or Trapped in Icelandic or Spiral in French or whatever, they can also follow a Welsh drama with English subs...

It's not that that I have an issue with, it's keeping track of what's genuinely new and what's just a new version of one I've watched before
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not that that I have an issue with, it's keeping track of what's genuinely new and what's just a new version of one I've watched before

Well, yes, my original post further up said that too - I've already seen this, on the iplayer in Welsh. I don't really get why they feel they have to re-make it in English....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I don't see what's wrong with having two versions, but if you were just to have one then the all Welsh version would be less realistic than the one that has both English and Welsh being used.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

But it will be new on BBC4, normally 'NEW' on the EPG means that it is new on that particularly channel. Several series are being repeated from BBC Scotland, they are accurately billed as New on network TV even though they have been shown previously in Scotland.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, yes, my original post further up said that too - I've already seen this, on the iplayer in Welsh. I don't really get why they feel they have to re-make it in English....

To make it easier to sell to American TV? They tend to be very parochial as the comment earlier about them thinking it was in German shows.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But it will be new on BBC4, normally 'NEW' on the EPG means that it is new on that particularly channel. Several series are being repeated from BBC Scotland, they are accurately billed as New on network TV even though they have been shown previously in Scotland.

Ah good point. I was relying on downloading from iplayer which would pick it up from S4c, Four or One Wales.

I've adjusted my search to just BBC 1 Wales - cheers
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They show the series on S4C in Welsh, they then show on BBC 1 Wales and BBC 4 in English but with some dialogue in Welsh which is subtitled. This is quite natural because often people in Wales will speak a mixture of English and Welsh, Welsh mostly amongst themselves but even then they will often speak English even sonetimes between people who can understand Welsh.

I was thinking of the timeline for, those of us in England, watching it on iPlayer

As it show in Wales before it is shown in England, it is presumably available on iPlayer to co-inside with the original Wales broadcast(s).

But is that iPlayer version only in Welsh (without subs)?

Though I don't actually want to do this. I hate using iPlayer as a primary source and would rather wait for the English broadcast,

so, just interested

tim
  • Options
    AKFEAKFE Posts: 6,920
    Forum Member
    Do you suggest I need to see Series 1 to follow or get the most out of Series 2? Sadly, I don't see Seies 1 on iPlayer at the moment (sometimes they make the previous series available before airing the next). I could get the DVD I suppose (assuming that's available for non-Welsh speakers).
  • Options
    catsittercatsitter Posts: 4,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AKFE wrote: »
    Do you suggest I need to see Series 1 to follow or get the most out of Series 2? Sadly, I don't see Seies 1 on iPlayer at the moment (sometimes they make the previous series available before airing the next). I could get the DVD I suppose (assuming that's available for non-Welsh speakers).

I've just read in "Crime Scene" magazine that the "story arc" from series 1 is continued through series 2 and series 3, so I guess so. Unfortunately I can't remember anything about a story arc although I have seen series 1! It was on BBC4 two years ago so I bet a lot of people are in the same boat. Hope they start with a "previously..."
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's the case about the network of child abusers from series 1 which lingers in the background that I expect will re-emerge in series 3.
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    catsitter wrote: »
    I've just read in "Crime Scene" magazine that the "story arc" from series 1 is continued through series 2 and series 3, so I guess so. Unfortunately I can't remember anything about a story arc although I have seen series 1! It was on BBC4 two years ago so I bet a lot of people are in the same boat. Hope they start with a "previously..."

I watched the latest series on iPlayer at christmas, sad to say no they don't start with a 'previously'.
    There was also a one-off episode early last year that I'd missed which was also referenced quite a lot in series 2 - actually I'd say that was more "important" than series 1. I had to stop watching iPlayer and 'aquire' the one off to clarify some points.

I think you could enjoy series 2 without having seen the first though.
  • Options
    AKFEAKFE Posts: 6,920
    Forum Member
    Shrike wrote: »
    I watched the latest series on iPlayer at christmas, sad to say no they don't start with a 'previously'.
    There was also a one-off episode early last year that I'd missed which was also referenced quite a lot in series 2 - actually I'd say that was more "important" than series 1. I had to stop watching iPlayer and 'aquire' the one off to clarify some points.

Thank you both for your advice. I think I'll get the DVD of series 1 and catch up on 2 on iPlayer until I am up to date with what's airing.
  • Options
    catsittercatsitter Posts: 4,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shrike wrote: »

Thanks. They are showing the one-off episode on BBC4 this Saturday with series 2 proper starting a week later.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

There are some running storylines that have going right through the two series but they are not really fully explained so can be easily ignored.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    was that it!?

Tiny subtitles that were white text often on a white background, hardly left up long enough to get to the end before they are taken away. It's not like everything is subtitled and you are always looking for them, it's now and again "oo shit, they are speaking in Welsh I better read the subtitle, Ooops it's gone!)

a singly story that made no sense (how did the scene of the CCTV in the garage prove that "she knew!"?)

And a less than likeable detective

And whilst the scenery is "rugged", it's not exactly stunning

tim