✭✭
    He's fallen in the water!

little.Jeeem!

sorry, posting from phone and.fingers got the better of me :o
  • Options
    CraigpughCraigpugh Posts: 665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hurray! Nice one. I'm really pleased- more pleased than I ought to be but well done to all concerned for coming up with the idea.
    Captain Jack and Riversong ( newly named kittens) will be pleased too.
  • Options
    nebogipfelnebogipfel Posts: 8,375
    Forum Member
    Thanks daveyboy. I'm sure the OP of this thread, the OP of the September thread and all the many people who have found the block of H and H frustrating and off putting will see this as the best thing all round. I also hope the official thread is fun to play for the existing players and may even see a return of the former players who have dropped out over the months. And hopefully new members will be attracted to any new, faster moving, games (or at least not put off).

Thanks again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have just sent a. Message to the powers that be as straight after the great Hirt and heal debate resulted in a net Games Thread reduction of two, two new games threads have. Even started- one by someone called eleya which was roundly pounced on and shut, the other by the poster who's kindly agreed to amalgamate his three hurt games into one.
    Anyway here is my message I will post ifI get a reply-
    "I genuinely believed that there had been some compromise in moving the various heal and hurt games into one thread as a compromise to those of us expressing the.view that we'd prefer a games sub forum because the sheer amount of games threads clutters up the forum and makes it virtually unreadable. Obviously not the case as various new games threads have appeared since then.
    The only argument I've heard as to why a games sub forum Is not a good idea is that the show is off air and without the games traffic in the dr who forum slows. My experience is that I post less and read and visit less went traffic is slower purely because the presence of the multiple games threads in the main forum pushes them to the first page so to look at any threads about the shows themselves you have to search harder, it is less accessible and puts me off. It is exactly the off air season when a games sub forum would be most useful because it would enable non games afficionados to read browse and post more easily and may therefore keep the forum more active in the off air periods.
    Can I request either a games sun forum or at least a poll on whether most forum uses want one or not."
  • Options
    HallamsteriscooHallamsteriscoo Posts: 21,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would really like to hear the Mods thoughts on a general Cult section games subforum, I appreciate the fact that it seems a waste of time for the few game threads in the DW subforum, but surely there are FMs that use the Cult forum that would like a games section. I can't say I've noticed any games on the odd occasion I've had a look at the cult index, but I put that down to the fact that there are more topics for discussion and therefore the threads move down the board quicker than they do in the DW subforum.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Craigpugh wrote: »
    I have just sent a. Message to the powers that be as straight after the great Hirt and heal debate resulted in a net Games Thread reduction of two, two new games threads have. Even started- one by someone called eleya which was roundly pounced on and shut, the other by the poster who's kindly agreed to amalgamate his three hurt games into one.
    Anyway here is my message I will post ifI get a reply-
    "I genuinely believed that there had been some compromise in moving the various heal and hurt games into one thread as a compromise to those of us expressing the.view that we'd prefer a games sub forum because the sheer amount of games threads clutters up the forum and makes it virtually unreadable. Obviously not the case as various new games threads have appeared since then.
    The only argument I've heard as to why a games sub forum Is not a good idea is that the show is off air and without the games traffic in the dr who forum slows. My experience is that I post less and read and visit less went traffic is slower purely because the presence of the multiple games threads in the main forum pushes them to the first page so to look at any threads about the shows themselves you have to search harder, it is less accessible and puts me off. It is exactly the off air season when a games sub forum would be most useful because it would enable non games afficionados to read browse and post more easily and may therefore keep the forum more active in the off air periods.
    Can I request either a games sun forum or at least a poll on whether most forum uses want one or not."

Thanks Craig and Hammy your inputs much appreciated. I asked the mods for a ruling on merging and the start up issues on Friday night without response yet as have others.

We are a community and although no-one can tell each other what to do, we have to be considerate to the needs, stresses and strains of others on the forum.

So when, just as a carefully brokered ceasefire is enacted, someone jumps up with a machine gun Friday night shouting "Don't tell me what to do !" then even the UNIT peacekeeping force here is going to put two rounds rapid fire their way.

Good luck, let us know how you get on.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    HandsomeBB wrote: »
    Thanks Craig and Hammy your inputs much appreciated. I asked the mods for a ruling on merging and the start up issues on Friday night without response yet as have others.

We are a community and although no-one can tell each other what to do, we have to be considerate to the needs, stresses and strains of others on the forum.

So when, just as a carefully brokered ceasefire is enacted, someone jumps up with a machine gun Friday night shouting "Don't tell me what to do !" then even the UNIT peacekeeping force here is going to put two rounds rapid fire their way.

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

If the poster of that thread had been asked in a polite and reasoned way to move her thread, then I am sure she would have considered doing so. She can hardly be blamed for digging her heals in though after the way she was jumped on.

Add to that your subsequent malicious accusations, well you truly derailed that thread and should be ashamed of yourself. Frankly it is a bit of a stretch to acuse someone of timing their thread to interfere with Children in Need, I am sure the thread was well intentioned unlike your response.

It is quite telling that the mods only removed the abusive posts aimed at eleya, leaving the thread itself intatct. They only eventualy locked the thread at her request after you derailed it further. Clearly they did not disaprove of having a stand alone H&H thread running. If the mods want all the games to be merged into a single thread or a sub forum, then they will tell us. To date how ever the only response has been a resounding 'NO' to a sub forum from the mods.

The subject of that thread was one that I have a particular interest in, and due to your actions I can no longer enjoy it. How would you feel if your threads were derailed in a similar manner, I bet you would be as offended as I am.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    korbany wrote: »
    If the poster of that thread had been asked in a polite and reasoned way to move her thread, then I am sure she would have considered doing so. She can hardly be blamed for digging her heals in though after the way she was jumped on.

We both agree a 'Who was the best producer ?' thread would stimulate far more and quicker debate than a H&H that would be around the forum for a year ever could.

The starter of the thread was asked by another person on Friday night about merging and compromise but her umbridge towards the new thread being called 'official' was very clear.

It would perhaps in hindsight, have been better if mods had been asked to start off the new merged H&H thread themselves.
    It would have certainly been better if mods had given a ruling on start-ups. But without a sheriff in town someone has to be Gary Cooper and say its bad timing and antagonising / dismaying both sides.

We are a community and although no-one can tell each other what to do we have to be considerate to the needs, stresses and strains of others on the forum.
  • Options
    WelshNigeWelshNige Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HandsomeBB wrote: »
    We both agree a 'Who was the best producer ?' thread would stimulate far more and quicker debate than a H&H that would be around the forum for a year ever could.

The starter of the thread was asked by another person on Friday night about merging and compromise but her umbridge towards the new thread being called 'official' was very clear.

It would perhaps in hindsight, have been better if mods had been asked to start off the new merged H&H thread themselves.
    It would have certainly been better if mods had given a ruling on start-ups. But without a sheriff in town someone has to be Gary Cooper and say its bad timing and antagonising / dismaying both sides.

We are a community and although no-one can tell each other what to do we have to be considerate to the needs, stresses and strains of others on the forum.

The problem is our "community" is feeling more and more like a closed shop clique by the day, with a select few seeming to have more authority and power than the rest.

What all this is doing to lurkers thinking about posting for the first time I dread to think.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WelshNige wrote: »
    What all this is doing to lurkers thinking about posting for the first time I dread to think.

As a now-lurker who stopped posting here because of precisely this kind of OutpostGallifrey-style meaningless moaning: The Official thread is in place, and everyone has agreed to see how it goes for a few weeks. That's it. End of argument. There is literally nothing else to be said on the subject right now. How this is being dragged out any further beggars belief.

Go enjoy your lives, post in other threads, let things simmer for a couple weeks, and then come back and discuss it, when both sides have had a chance to actually see how it works when settled, not a day after it was trialled. I don't get what's so hard here. Jesus.
  • Options
    WelshNigeWelshNige Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a now-lurker who stopped posting here because of precisely this kind of OutpostGallifrey-style meaningless moaning: The Official thread is in place, and everyone has agreed to see how it goes for a few weeks. That's it. End of argument. There is literally nothing else to be said right now. How this is being dragged out any further beggars belief.

Go enjoy your lives, post in other threads, let things simmer for a couple weeks, and then come back and discuss it. I don't get what's so hard here. Jesus.

Great, yet more telling other posters what to do and think.

I give up, I really do......
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WelshNige wrote: »
    Great, yet more telling other posters what to do and think.

I give up, I really do......

You were worrying about what the lurkers think so I told you what this lurker thinks. If that isn't an invitation to give my stance I don't know what is. This is tiring. :yawn:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For what it's worth I feel like the opposite side of the same coin to what Analysethis is saying- I was a lurker who felt moved to post on the topic because I felt it was getting outrageously cliquey on here with a small number of people behaving in a way which is off pitting to me and therefore I assume would be off putting to many others
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Given the sudden proliferation of similar games threads this weekend, 'story x vs story y' etc etc etc, i thought i would resurrect this thread.
    I come on this forum to keep up with the world of dr who and to build anticipation of the coming new series, i understand others love game play, however the many games threads clutter the forum and prevent me finding the bits i want to see, surely a dr who games sub forum would cater for everyone?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not sure where this sudden proliferation of games threads you refereed to are, as I can only spot 3 games threads on the first page of the forum, and one of them was started by DS Forum Support.

There are however numerous discussion threads, like for example the 'Best Series Ever' thread http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1690059, perhaps it is those that you are referring to? :confused:

Anyway it is up to the DS mods to decide whether another sub forum is needed, although I think if they do add one it may well get more use than the main forum. Not sure if I like that idea or not.

It may also be worth pointing out that the DS forums have a great little search function, which works wonders. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks Korbany, no, it seems the 'proliferation' i flagged up have all been removed, i wasnt talking about the discussion threads, these were a range of threads which appeared in the wee small hours of Saturday night/ Sunday morning, all named for example "The Krotons vs The Awakening" and suggesting people vote by posting the two story's in order of preference, eg:

The Krotons
    The Awakening

And there were more than 10 of the blighters

All gone now thank goodness!