Heroes. any good?

RobertfitzRobertfitz Posts: 2,732
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Is it worth a watch? How many seasons are their? Never watched it when it first came out but my brother just got the whole box set apparently so I'm guna check it ous

Comments

• Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    4 seasons (78 episodes). I thought the first season was the best by a long way.
  • Mr.LavigneMr.Lavigne Posts: 922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really like the first three seasons, but the fourth is poor.
  • Summer Bay CatSummer Bay Cat Posts: 62
    Forum Member
    A very good series, you should check it out. :)
  • LMLM Posts: 63,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It doesn't get a proper ending though, just a heads up
  • RobertfitzRobertfitz Posts: 2,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Whattttt!? That's one of my all time pet hates when you invest in a show then you don't get a proper conclusion. How do you mean exactly? Without spoilers obviously :D
  • Bio MaxBio Max Posts: 2,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watch the first series and end there - pretends it ends there.

The first season was fantastic - the rest were just 'ok'.
  • be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The biggest problem (for me) was the constant adding of "twists" and convoluted conspiracies to the backstory after Season 1. It was obvious that all the "Ah, X is really Y" nonsense hadn't been planned from the beginning and they were just making it up as they went along.

By the end of the series, practically every character had a ridiculous origin story connected to every other character.
  • tinkerbell987tinkerbell987 Posts: 1,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    loved the first series which was by far the best "save the cheerleader......"
    second & third series weren't tha good but i still watched can't remember the fourth though, maybe i didn't watch:confused::confused::confused:
  • Blossom85Blossom85 Posts: 1,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved the first season but noticed things were starting to go wrong during Season 2 as there wasn't much plot progression and they continuously added new characters with ridiculous powers. I know that people blamed the writers' strike at the time, but it was clear they didn't have everything properly mapped out.

I finally gave up during the 3rd season and wasn't really surprised to hear it had been cancelled. What surprised me was that it had actually managed to get to Season 4.

As another poster said, it's best to pretend that it ends with Season 1.
  • AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    The show was undoubtedly a victim of the writers strike, and it unfortunately never fully recovered. That said, it was an interesting watch with Seasons 1 and 4 being my personal favourites. Season 1 has about 22 episodes, Season 2 has just 11 thanks to the writers strike, Season 3 has 25 and Season 4 has about 18.

It was never the best show in the world but there's usually at least one character to enjoy at any one time at least. All four seasons had their problems, but I think a lot of people are unduly unfair towards it now. Zachary Quinto offered up possibly my favourite character, though there was plenty of competition :D

In regards to the ending, it was definitely cancelled before its time but you feel the writers did their best with the knowledge that the show might not come back. It works as an ending, and makes a lot of interesting parallels back to the opening episodes of the first season, but there is an unresolved and very interesting plot that unfolds in that final episode that will make or break your opinion :)

If you do watch it, be prepared to fall out of love with it after the first season as many did. Maybe you will like what it has to offer after that (I liked a lot of what they tried in Seasons 2-4...not all, but then I didn't like all of Season 1 either) but I'd say it's worth a go at least. It didn't ever feel like a show that wasn't good because the writers or actors didn't try. :)
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Like many others I loved S1 but gave up mid-way through S2 and never came back.
  • PandakooPandakoo Posts: 5,419
    Forum Member
    It is such a good show, definitely worth a watch!! First three seasons are amazing, the last season is very poor in comparison. But still a great show.
    Robertfitz wrote: »
    Whattttt!? That's one of my all time pet hates when you invest in a show then you don't get a proper conclusion. How do you mean exactly? Without spoilers obviously :D

Without spoilers.. It doesn't get a proper ending because the writers didn't know until after that season 4 was going to be the last season. Although it doesn't get a proper ending, it doesn't end on a major cliffhanger, things do get wrapped up.. Kinda.
  • boab34boab34 Posts: 1,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blossom85 wrote: »
    I loved the first season but noticed things were starting to go wrong during Season 2 as there wasn't much plot progression and they continuously added new characters with ridiculous powers. I know that people blamed the writers' strike at the time, but it was clear they didn't have everything properly mapped out.

I finally gave up during the 3rd season and wasn't really surprised to hear it had been cancelled. What surprised me was that it had actually managed to get to Season 4.

bib sounds very much like the current season of Revenge :eek::p
  • Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    Blossom85 wrote: »

Heroes. A show that started out promisingly, then crashed
    to pieces in its second season. I thought things would pick
    up in season 3 but they didn't.

Someone should really write a book about how
    "Heroes" went from critical and commerical success
    in season one to a TV pariah by season four-it'd be
    far more interesting than anything that happened
    onscreen.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 62
    Forum Member
    Great show, season one was definitely the best though
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't know... It did leave the door open for a potential fifth season but it wasn't like it just abruptly ends either. At least in my opinion, it sort of worked as a series finale.

It's a weird coincidence that this thread popped up because I just started rewatchig the first season yesterday. I'm certainly remembering how much I loved this show when it was first on, but that being said, I'm planning on just watching S1 and not bothering with the rest.

I'd definitely give it a go, OP
  • storm818storm818 Posts: 811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Season 2 was affected by the writers strike, otherwise I think it would have been far better!
  • rhynoGBrhynoGB Posts: 4,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the 1st season was some of the best writing i've seen in a series for many a year,it was almost like they put so much effort into the 1st season that they ran out of ideas for the remaining seasons.
    seasons 2,3 & 4 are good but nowhere near as good as the first.
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Robertfitz wrote: »
    Is it worth a watch? How many seasons are their? Never watched it when it first came out but my brother just got the whole box set apparently so I'm guna check it ous

very overated, good in places

s1-good(nowhere near as great as some people make out imo)
    s2-good
    s3-bad
    s4-bad
  • AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seasons 1 and 3 were awesome, 1 was full of mystery whilst 3 was full of action and twists, 4 was ok, kind of bland but still entertaining, 2 was awful, so boring.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Season 1 was a classic, great characters, writing, production, acting. Season 2 started ok but deteriorated after the break taken for the writers strike. In my opinion it got so bad they spoilt the memory of Season 1, much as The Matrix sequels spoilt the memory of the 1st (for me).

I think I gave up somewhere in season 3.

Too many characters, poor writing, I won't go into more detail than that or it'll be classed as spoiling.

Season 1 is a must see, but if you possibly can, pretend the rest of it didn't happen and don't bother with the other seasons.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    boab34 wrote: »
    bib sounds very much like the current season of Revenge :eek::p

Funnily enough, Season 2 of Revenge has been reminding me of later Heroes in some respects, in that it has branched off in a similar way, but the drop in quality isn't that bad yet. I'm sticking with Revenge till end of Season 2 at least.
  • Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    crowby1 wrote: »
    Funnily enough, Season 2 of Revenge has been reminding me of later Heroes in some respects, in that it has branched off in a similar way, but the drop in quality isn't that bad yet. I'm sticking with Revenge till end of Season 2 at least.

The season finale of "Homeland" S2 reminded me of
    Heroes, in that both skidded away from plausibility*
    into an unbelievable OTT mode.

* Yes, Heroes was about Superheroes, but it made
    sense in S1
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 102,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I thought it was terrific at first...........certainly the whole of season one

I can't quite remember when i gave up on it...........maybe half a dozen episodes into series 3
  • DanielFDanielF Posts: 2,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The first season was one of the most perfect sci-fi shows ever to be shown... the rest, not so much!