Pick Of The Pops - Radio 2

Comments

• wakey1512wakey1512 Posts: 453
    Forum Member
    david1956 wrote: »
    On 8th October, Saturday will be our day to hear two seventies charts from that week. Gambo will revisit 1971 and 1979.

I would have preferred to have heard 1979 two months later - I suppose it's still possible to get a December 1979 chart this year.

Two 70s charts is a strange one. Still not as close together as 1977 and 1981!
  • Multimedia81Multimedia81 Posts: 83,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FM Lover wrote: »
    Nice of Gambo to give Tony a mention on the show this afternoon.

He'll probably get a memo on Monday

The context was Tony playing the first song on Radio 1. This was on September 30th 1967. As the 50th anniversary next year will be a Saturday, it seems a safe bet that 1967 will be featured then. :cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Although I enjoyed some of the songs from 1972, I was hoping to hear Python Lee Jackson's In a Broken Dream. I also thought we would hear 10cc's Donna. Maybe they were hits a few weeks before or after this chart?
  • DUHODUHO Posts: 2,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Although I enjoyed some of the songs from 1972, I was hoping to hear Python Lee Jackson's In a Broken Dream. I also thought we would hear 10cc's Donna. Maybe they were hits a few weeks before or after this chart?

the 72 chart was played in early October last year and both those songs were played

was a cracking hour of music (in the most part) :)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06g5wry
  • Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'In A Broken Dream' didn't chart until the following week while 'Donna' was a new entry at number 46 this week in 1972.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DUHO wrote: »
    the 72 chart was played in early October last year and both those songs were played

was a cracking hour of music (in the most part) :)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06g5wry
    Robbie01 wrote: »
    'In A Broken Dream' didn't chart until the following week while 'Donna' was a new entry at number 46 this week in 1972.

Thanks to both of you. :) I looked at that POTP evidently from 10.10.15 so yes, I admit I was a little premature in anticipating hearing them. As Tony also featured 1972 on 25.10.14 he might have played these songs then too.
  • Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What the hell is the point of doing 2 charts from the same decade? The show really needs to find a new producer?
    1971 just about still sounds in part like the late 60's and 1979 is sounding almost like the early 80's.

Kind of. ;-) They don't sound like the same decade at all. Neither sounds like the 1970's they are in a way. :p
  • FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,824
    Forum Member
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    1971 just about still sounds in part like the late 60's and 1979 is sounding almost like the early 80's.

Kind of. ;-) They don't sound like the same decade at all. :p

My biggest annoyance about 80's complication CDs is when they include Video Killed The Radio Star by the Buggles in the tracklisting>:(
  • JedikiahJedikiah Posts: 5,396
    Forum Member

Kind of. ;-) They don't sound like the same decade at all. Neither sounds like the 1970's they are in a way. :p

The beginning of the seventies was more a return to basics, after the late sixties psychedelic era, and all the flamboyance that surrounded it. There are a lot of electric folk and blues influences, in the 1970/71 period, which would gradually fade by 1973, when glam rock would tighten its grip, and the more lush soul sounds (and later disco), began to make an appearance. I always think of the beginning of the seventies as a time for reconnecting with the fundamentals, before heading again into more unchartered territory, although in a sense a fair percentage of the glitter rock sounds, were actually an update of fifties rock 'n' roll, although there were plenty of more arty pretentions thrown into the mix, too. By 1972/73, there was definitely a more loose and fun feel, returning to music. Motown also began to seem a little out of step, when the more lush Philadelphia sound became ever more prominent.

1979 is a great year, but it possibly isn't one i will feel so inclined to pay close attention to, as i feel pretty re-acquainted with most of those sounds already, after watching the more recent BBC 4 Top Of The Pops repeats. The floodgates to the New Wave sounds seemed to open in the second half of 1978 (and especially after The Boomtown Rats ''Rat Trap'' reached No 1), and we had a very good run of many new and exciting sounds, which appeared to run through to around mid 1980. Pop was definitely on the crest of a wave during the 1979 period. In fact, i find it hard to name any year after, that comes close to it, in terms of sustained quality, mixed with plenty of variety. It also feels a lot less 'corporate' than much of the sounds of the eighties, aside from the first year or two.
  • wakey1512wakey1512 Posts: 453
    Forum Member
    ntscuser wrote: »
    1967 and 1972 were only five years apart! :o

1977 and 1981 earlier this year, only 4 years apart!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My biggest annoyance about 80's complication CDs is when they include Video Killed The Radio Star by the Buggles in the tracklisting>:(

I wish I could remember the name of the 80's compilation album I picked up a few years ago in HMV to browse through. I was not impressed to notice at least 4 songs on it from 1979 including the one you name, plus Cars by Gary Numan and a couple of others. What is the excuse? I also remember the DAB station Absolute 80's playing about 3 singles from 1979 one afternoon when I listened over the course of about three hours some years back, including Gary Numan and Buggles yet again. Suffice to say that I never listened to that station ever again after that day. It only ever rotated the same over familiar 80's songs anyway and I was bored within a few days listening having heard Money For Nothing about 7 times.

Today Paul Gambaccini brings us the hits from this very day in 1963 and 1985 on Pick Of The Pops.

Tuesday 1st October 1985 was the hottest day of the year in many parts of England. It was 30c. Yes, in October! :cool:
    Forum Member

Tuesday 1st October 1985 was the hottest day of the yiear in many parts of England. It was 30c. Yes, in October! :cool:

Really? I know we had a fairly decent summer in 1985 as I recall the day of Live Aid being a particularly hot day.

That morning I visited our nearest second had record shop - Mr. Waxy's in Chertsey and recall buying five singles, I can only recall two of them which were Rockin' Robin by Michael Jackson and 5-4-3-2-2 by Manfred Mann.

Rather stupidly I thought the best place for them on our journey home was the parcel shelf in my Ford Cortina MK3 and, needless to say, by the time we got home the records were as warped as my sense of humour!

I loved the Autumn of 85. Great music about and I would religiously tune into Radio Mercury at the time in the evenings to hear both Pat Sharp in the evenings followed by Timbo. Great times.
  • Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really? I know we had a fairly decent summer in 1985 as I recall the day of Live Aid being a particularly hot day.

That morning I visited our nearest second had record shop - Mr. Waxy's in Chertsey and recall buying five singles, I can only recall two of them which were Rockin' Robin by Michael Jackson and 5-4-3-2-2 by Manfred Mann.

Rather stupidly I thought the best place for them on our journey home was the parcel shelf in my Ford Cortina MK3 and, needless to say, by the time we got home the records were as warped as my sense of humour!

I loved the Autumn of 85. Great music about and I would religiously tune into Radio Mercury at the time in the evenings to hear both Pat Sharp in the evenings followed by Timbo. Great times.
    I remember the summer of 1985 as being something of a let down but October 1985 was quite wonderful. Sunny and hot for a large part of it, it was a wonderful month. November was a bit meh but then the weather turned and December then January and February 1986 were very cold. My sister got married in January 1986 and I remember it was absolutely freezing but gloriously sunny that Saturday.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Really. I'd got a Stephenson's screen that summer for my birthday. Everything in the second half of 1985 was meticulously noted and thereafter. I still have all my personal data. You're correct, Live Aid was a gorgeous day.

Not sure I've heard of that Manfred track however. Pity any countdown that gets stuck at 2. Great anecdote as well.
    Robbie01 wrote: »
    I remember the summer of 1985 as being something of a let down but October 1985 was quite wonderful. Sunny and hot for a large part of it, it was a wonderful month. November was a bit meh but then the weather turned and December then January and February 1986 were very cold. My sister got married in January 1986 and I remember it was absolutely freezing but gloriously sunny that Saturday.
    As you say, the summer of 1985 was actually quite poor overall. But there was a delightful Indian summer in the last 10 days of September which went into October for a while. I remember this very day in 1985 so clearly. I had my 6th form picture taken that day and look rosy faced in it from the warmth. Later in the common room we gathered to hear the Bowie & Jagger No1 get knocked off by Midge Ure at 1pm just before we had to shoot for classes.
  • Lee MorrisLee Morris Posts: 2,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it my DAB Radio or has Paul got a cold this week?, if he has then not only well done for working through it but take plenty of Lemsip and get straight into bed after you get home and keep warm Paul.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lee Morris wrote: »
    Is it my DAB Radio or has Paul got a cold this week?, if he has then not only well done for working through it but take plenty of Lemsip and get straight into bed after you get home and keep warm Paul.
    No doubt about it. I immediately noticed the same thing when I just switched on a couple of moments late. Proves it's live this week I suppose.
  • wilson500wilson500 Posts: 1,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lee Morris wrote: »

He does sound strange this week. Probably a cold.
    First time I've sat down to listen to the whole show since he took over.
  • alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forum Member
    Really. I'd got a Stephenson's screen that summer for my birthday. Everything in the second half of 1985 was meticulously noted and thereafter. I still have all my personal data. You're correct, Live Aid was a gorgeous day.

Not sure I've heard of that Manfred track however. Pity any countdown that gets stuck at 2. Great anecdote as well.

As you say, the summer of 1985 was actually quite poor overall. But there was a delightful Indian summer in the last 10 days of September which went into October for a while. I remember this very day in 1985 so clearly. I had my 6th form picture taken that day and look rosy faced in it from the warmth. Later in the common room we gathered to hear the Bowie & Jagger No1 get knocked off by Midge Ure at 1pm just before we had to shoot for classes.

The follow up on 5-4-3-2-2 did I lot better I hear;-)

I tip my hat to you for having knowledge about the weather in 1985, I just remember Live Aid being a gorgeously hot day and that's honestly one of my only few memories from that summer.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just heard Roy Orbison doing "trademark Eartha Kitt" on Mean Woman Blues! :o

Quite unsettling that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gambo please give your producer a good thrashing with the nearest big stick.....

This is NOT the chart for "this day" as he puts it in 1985 at all. It's last weeks. >:(
  • keicarkeicar Posts: 2,082
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gambo is wrong, the late Ben Orr did perform the vocals on Drive, but it was written by Ric Ocasek.
  • alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hour 2- http://www.officialcharts.com/charts/singles-chart/19850922/7501/
    TOTP -
    26/09/85 (Janice Long & Dixie Peach) (rpt UK Gold)
    Depeche Mode – “It’s Called A Heart” (21) This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by WMG
    Billy Idol – “Rebel Yell” (13) (video)
    Jennifer Rush – “The Power Of Love” (15)
    Five Star – “Love Take Over” (35) (breaker)
    The Damned – “Is It A Dream?” (34) (breaker)
    Dead Or Alive – “My Heart Goes Bang” (31) (breaker)
    The Style Council – “The Lodgers” (17) WATCH
    Bonnie Tyler – “Holding Out For A Hero” (2) WATCH
    David Bowie & Mick Jagger – “Dancing In The Street” (1) (video)
    Maria Vidal – “Body Rock” (11) (audience dancing/credits)
    Forum Member
    Red Box with Lean on Me is a great track.

They only had two UK top 40 hits and Graham played the other this morning.

Coincidence that both their hits get played within hours of each other on Radio 2
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Angel - one hit too many for Madonna back in 1985. Quite forgettable.