Options

BBC Radio 1 and 1Xtra - "Phone First"

tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
Forum Member
✭✭✭
And so it begins:

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2016/sep/19/bbc-radio-1-aims-to-be-netflix-of-music-radio-with-phone-first-strategy

The first step towards Radio 1 and 1Xtra following its sister, BBC Three, to becoming a Internet only service in the long term. The controller of both stations wants to push towards being a "phone first" service, prioritising on demand content and becoming the "Netflix" of radio.

The stumbling block for this plan is going to be data costs on the move. This is where podcasting is easier than streaming - you can at least download shows on home broadband prior to leaving the home instead of streaming on the move and potentially setting yourself up for bill shock.

Comments

• Options
    deepfroatdeepfroat Posts: 1,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Radio 1's target audience probably don't care about data costs.

Not if Mum and Dad paying the bill, innit? ;-)
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Netflix is an odd analogy for radio, because we can already watch and listen to almost everything the BBC produces on demand via iPlayer and other catchup services. It's the ability to listen to radio live that makes it special and there is no way Spotify, Apple, Amazon or whoever else enters the streaming market can get around that.

It may be that demand for live radio is on a downward trajectory, in which case Cooper is right to look for other ways to deliver content. But do the figures support that hypothesis, or are people just using online content in addition to listening live?
  • Options
    p_c_u_kp_c_u_k Posts: 8,806
    Forum Member
    Two really bad comparisons the BBC have been using recently - newspapers and Netflix.

Even comparing the decline in audiences for Radio 1 in the same breath as referring to numbers going down in newspapers feeds into a feeling that the station is heading for an inevitable decline.

The Netflix comparison was always shoogly for the likes of BBC Three. For Netflix you're speciifcally paying extra and choosing to watch premium programming. For Spotify you're specifically using it so you can pick precisely what you want to hear.

The trick to Radio 1 and BBC Three is that, in theory, you should be able to stumble across them, they offer accessible programming and draw you in to the more challenging stuff. If you have to go out your way to find them, you'll just bung the radio/Spotify/BBC1 on instead.

It sounds like Radio 1 is being wary of what happened to newspapers who didn't adapt quickly enough to the onset of the web. The key is in how they handle this. Hopefully this is just shorthand and the actual plans will make more sense.
  • Options
    PassengersPassengers Posts: 764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I believe Capital is still performing well in the yoof demographic. Radio 1s problem has always been that they think the world revolves around them. It doesn't.
  • Options
    tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Inkblot wrote: »
    Netflix is an odd analogy for radio, because we can already watch and listen to almost everything the BBC produces on demand via iPlayer and other catchup services. It's the ability to listen to radio live that makes it special and there is no way Spotify, Apple, Amazon or whoever else enters the streaming market can get around that.

It may be that demand for live radio is on a downward trajectory, in which case Cooper is right to look for other ways to deliver content. But do the figures support that hypothesis, or are people just using online content in addition to listening live?
    From the Communications Market Report published by Ofcom, from what I recall, there is a much stronger case for Radio 1 and 1Xtra to become a Internet only service compared to BBC Three. Radio listening is weaker for the demographic that BBC Radio 1 and 1Xtra target compared to TV viewing for the BBC Thee demographic.
  • Options
    Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From the Communications Market Report published by Ofcom, from what I recall, there is a much stronger case for Radio 1 and 1Xtra to become a Internet only service compared to BBC Three. Radio listening is weaker for the demographic that BBC Radio 1 and 1Xtra target compared to TV viewing for the BBC Thee demographic.
    Radio 1 is more likely to become a DAB / internet service than internet only. I can see at some point Radio 1 becoming the first BBC radio station to move from FM to DAB only but I can't see the station skipping DAB before becoming internet only.

I think the article linked to is just Ben Cooper thinking out loud and floating ideas rather than what will actually happen.
  • Options
    _Paul26_Paul26 Posts: 58
    Forum Member
    The delivery model they have now works fine (live if you want it, but on demand available too for every show). But my God they need a shake up content wise. I've been listening to R1 for over 15 years now and it amazes me how little it has changed in that time. Format of the daytime, playlisted shows has barely changed in that time and there is very little originality in their output. The whole station is obsessed with nothing but music and the BBC forget that there are people under 30 who enjoy comedy, current affiars and documentaries (not to mention sport).

It really needs a breath of fresh air. A youth orientated station ought to be continually evolving.
  • Options
    Gerry1Gerry1 Posts: 4,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    _Paul26 wrote: »
    The whole station is obsessed with nothing but music...
    A music station that plays music ? Utterly disgraceful, it's almost as bad as all that news that they keep putting out on the BBC News channel ! :o
    ... the BBC forget that there are people under 30 who enjoy comedy, current affairs and documentaries (not to mention sport).
    You're simply on the wrong station !

Switch to Radio 4 for comedy, current affairs and documentaries, to Radio 4 Extra for comedy and documentaries, to Radio 5 Live for current affairs, documentaries and sport, and to Radio 5 Live SPORTS Extra for Guess What.... ;-)
  • Options
    nikobatallonesnikobatallones Posts: 4,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the BBC forget that there are people under 30 who enjoy comedy, current affiars and documentaries (not to mention sport).

Not to mention the current affairs and documentary output Radio 1 itself put out!
  • Options
    deepfroatdeepfroat Posts: 1,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Downloads would have been good in the days when they broadcast comedy shows like The Mary Whitehouse Experience, Radio Tip Top etc.

Would listeners be keen to download the final hour of the chart show?
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ben Cooper, just interviewed on Feedback about the phone first strategy, seems to have mastered the art of talking gibberish. At one point he explained the fall in Radio 1's Rajars by saying something like it was because "consumers are ahead of the marketplace". Right...
  • Options
    gardensleepergardensleeper Posts: 1,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Inkblot wrote: »
    Ben Cooper, just interviewed on Feedback about the phone first strategy, seems to have mastered the art of talking gibberish. At one point he explained the fall in Radio 1's Rajars by saying something like it was because "consumers are ahead of the marketplace". Right...

Interesting quote. I interpret that as him saying that the kids are moving away from traditional radio, onto content delivered via mobile/online. If that's the case he's basically admitting his product hasn't adapted quickly enough.

If they turned Radio 1's FM network off tomorrow, I'd bet the vast majority of complaints would come from people outside the station's target demographic. In other words- the yoof have already 'done one. Innit.