Options

Snake Eyes - Underrated?

FusionFuryFusionFury Posts: 14,121
Forum Member
✭✭
Watched this again recently and felt it is one of Cage's underrated movies.

Good plot, many twists and plot holes and genuinely enjoyable. You can actually believe it to happen..

Does anyone agree with me it is underrated?

Comments

• Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,270
    Forum Member
    It's middle of the road for me. 6/10 But with most De Palma movies of the 90's, the germ of a great film is there, he just can't seem to grab hold of it.
  • Options
    roger_50roger_50 Posts: 6,928
    Forum Member
    dee123 wrote: »
    It's middle of the road for me. 6/10 But with most De Palma movies of the 90's, the germ of a great film is there, he just can't seem to grab hold of it.
    Yeah I'd agree with that, apart from one particular film - Carlito's Way. Which I think is De Palma's best film by a mile and the only film of his I think of as a classic of sorts.

Even Scarface I think is massively flawed. Carlito's Way just works perfectly IMO.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,270
    Forum Member
    roger_50 wrote: »
    Yeah I'd agree with that, apart from one particular film - Carlito's Way. Which I think is De Palma's best film by a mile and the only film of his I think of as a classic of sorts.

Even Scarface I think is massively flawed. Carlito's Way just works perfectly IMO.

>:( Poo. Forgot about Carlito's Way. It is very good. I completely agree.
  • Options
    Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    For De Palma it did seem a bit of a let down after three crackers on the trot (Raising Cain/Carlito's Way/M:I), but it also presents something of a stylistic quandary too. Not expansive enough in the manner of his big studio thrillers (M:I, Scarface, The Fury etc), and not quite suitable for his artful, Hitchcock pastiche mode either (Obsession, Femme Fatale etc). Some of it impresses of course, but overall it's a piecemeal film.

Then again, none of De Palma's films are perfect, yet the flaws and imperfections are often fascinating, and there's a fair bit of that to chew on here.