Options

Anyone got Norovirus yet?

13»

Comments

• Options
    Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had it three years ago, it was awful and came on so suddenly. At one point I didn't know which end to put on the toilet :blush::( I felt weak and run down for weeks after as well, I had no desire to eat as my appetite vanished, very unusual for me. I lived on dry toast and digestive biscuits as they were all I could stomach.
  • Options
    mattwoodfieldmattwoodfield Posts: 6,036
    Forum Member
    Me and my partner had a really horrible time last Monday. We are still not sure what it was, but basically we went out for tea on Monday night to a carvery with family. Me, my partner and family all ate the same thing.

I already had cold like symptoms during the sunday and into monday, and my partner had a sore throat after we came back from tea.

We went to bed at 10ish and I woke up around 1130pm with extreme bloatedness, I was in real pain.

Next thing i know i am sat on the toilet with you know what.

No sooner i got off the toilet my partner was awake, and was being sick. This is when i started vomiting too. It was a night of hell and we were both being sick every 30 mins until around 6am where we finally got some sleep. This was all accompanied by fever/nausea/shakes.

Come Tuesday we both had sore throats again, and really bunged up feeling.

We are still recovering now, although we have gotten over the worst of it. We are just starting to have an appetite again too but are still not 100% and I get the feeling that we won't be 100% for a while yet - especially when it comes to eating a meal.

I have no idea what this was..... was it food poisoning, norovirus? It just seems really strange that we both came down with it the same time and its been accompanied by a stinking cold - one of the worst colds i have ever had.

I feel for anybody with the same symptoms as this did well and truly spoil our New Year.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    I've got Avira installed on my PC so touch wood etc.
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    I wasn't sure what it was, so I Googled it. It sounds quite nasty, but I guess you can cut down on the chances of infection by having good hand hygiene. However, avoiding getting it via air transmission (like a cold) is going to be difficult.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Over the last two weeks everyone in my immediate family has had this, and it's a really nasty bug. Due to pre-existening health problems I ended up in hospital over night when I caught it. My poor mother, who has her birthday tomorrow, came down with it yesterday and has spent today recovering.

I've never experienced a bug that drains you as much as this does, or one that spreads so quickly throughout a household. I really hope I don't get it again.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    I've got Avira installed on my PC so touch wood etc.

ha..i was gonna say it sounds like pc infection :D
  • Options
    TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I haven't had it for almost 10 years and would be extremely happy if I never got it again.
    I just make sure I always wash my hands thoroughly before I eat or touch my mouth. Hopefully that lowers my risk of catching it somewhat... though if a family member comes down with it, there really isn't much you can do other than wait for to be struck down with it within the next few days.

I'm at Uni currently which is often a breeding ground for diseases. No-one appears to be suffering from it at the moment, thankfully, but if it starts spreading, I'll just have to carry a bottle of handwash with me and hope for the best.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    if a family member comes down with it, there really isn't much you can do other than wait for to be struck down with it within the next few days.

That's how it went in my house. My aunt brought it into the family. She works at a school so most things we catch come from her. Then I got it, then my gran, and finally my mum. You won't get out unscathed if this bug invades your inner circle. It spreads unlike any bug I've known and it's really horrible to go through as it drains you of every drop of liquid in your body. I had to drink special medicinal stuff from the pharmacy to rebuild my bodily fluids, which I've never had to do after any other bug.

I hope I won't get it again. I am usually protected by flu jabs but this year the vaccines have failed to protect people as the virus mutated. I don't think it's a coincidence that the one year the flu jabs fail is the year my whole family got sick. I hope they sort it out for next winter.
  • Options
    LYNN(E)LYNN(E) Posts: 1,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Salv* wrote: »
    I am being really paranoid because New Years Day last year is when I got this terrible illness. And me having a phobia of vomiting, it's not pleasant! Have there been any big outbreaks in this country or do you or know anyone that have it?

I got it a few years ago a couple of weeks before Christmas I caught visiting my mum in our local hospital
    It was horrendous the vomiting was like something out of the Exorcist & the nausea meant I couldn't even face watching the M&S food ads & only managed a small bowl of Chicken soup for Christmas dinner !!I
    I ended up taking anti sickness pills for a while
    I not good with vomiting me or anyone else its a horrible virus & I pity anyone who gets it
    unfortunately there seems to be outbreaks most winters I'd say check your local papers or online news to check & ask your GP I do
  • Options
    IqoniqIqoniq Posts: 6,299
    Forum Member
    LYNN(E) wrote: »
    I ended up taking anti sickness pills for a while
    Good luck trying to get them off prescription now. The only one you could get was domperidone maleate, and that's now been recalled due to causing heart complications.

If you get this then get some loperamide (Imoodium, but get the cheap stuff as it contains the same as the branded stuff), and then get some full fat proper brand Coca Cola or Pepsi. Rolla cola will not do, nor will any diet or zero variants - full fat only. Pour the Coke/Pepsi into a glass and stir it with a metal spoon until it's totally flat and then sip it. It should take the sickness away, and although it sounds mad it actually does work.

If you're having problems keeping fluids down either suck on an ice cube (don't worry it warms up on the way to your stomach as it slowly melts), or try and hold any water you drink in your mouth until it reaches body temperature. A mistake a lot of people make is "shocking" their system with water. When you drink water, by the time it hits your stomach it's usually still cold. Your stomach is currently set to reject anything coming into it, and the minute the cold water hits it, you throw up. Warming the water up and sipping it slowly is better than just necking it by the glass full.
  • Options
    vosnevosne Posts: 14,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    me...booo
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vosne wrote: »
    me...booo

My sympathies, vosne. Feel better soon.
  • Options
    nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Noticed this was an old thread, but last time I got this was 19th January 2014. I remember the date because I was meant to be working that day, and when on a contract like mine you remember.

I ended up in hospital with it because it was so bad, so *touch wood* I've not had it this year, but I am just counting the days tbh.
  • Options
    TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sweetums wrote: »
    I hope I won't get it again. I am usually protected by flu jabs but this year the vaccines have failed to protect people as the virus mutated. I don't think it's a coincidence that the one year the flu jabs fail is the year my whole family got sick. I hope they sort it out for next winter.

Norovirus isn't the flu. As far as I know, you can't get a vaccine for norovirus.
    However, the flu is not to be taken lightly either. I don't think I've ever had the flu, and I hope it remains this way. My dad had it one Christmas and he was bed-ridden for weeks.
    It always irks me somewhat when people are like "I've got a touch of the flu". I always tell them "No, you definitely do not. If you had the flu you wouldn't be here talking to me".

That's why they make flu vaccines. The flu isn't a bad cold; it's a serious illness which could prove fatal to members of high risk groups (the elderly, asthma sufferers etc.)
  • Options
    welshfoxywelshfoxy Posts: 6,985
    Forum Member
    Yikes...the worst thing I've had so far.
  • Options
    Derek FayeDerek Faye Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This bug is my ultimate fear. I have an extreme fear of vomiting (emetophobic) and I dread to think how I'd react if I were to get this. Oddly enough, seeing others be sick doesn't bother me, it's just the feeling and experience for myself that I cannot stand.

Having said that, I have not had a sickness bug since I was around 7 years old which is good going. I'm pretty sure being emetophobic helps in an odd way, you never seem to see emetophobes with bugs of that kind, I don't know why!?

Through having a fear of v* (and this isn't like a fear of a spider btw) I have given myself anxiety, reflux and a host of stomach problems (kinda imitates IBS) and sometimes it's very depressing. So to catch this awful bug would probably be the death of me!

I have a very bad cold though atm, I'd rather that though!