Kitchen fitting/installation query

AdsAds Posts: 37,056
Forum Member
My flat is being refurbished, which includes a new kitchen. My builders have started fitting the kitchen and I am a little concerned about how it is coming on. However before I tackle the builders I would prefer to have some idea what I am talking about....

The kitchen wall units are currently loose at the bottom and can be pulled towards you. Should they be be screwed in at the bottom, or is it simply a matter of tightening the brackets at the top enough. It maybe that the builder hasn't yet tightened them properly yet, and it just getting the units all in place before fully tightening it all.

Also the cupboard doors don't all line up neatly - I believe this is quite easy to adjust with a screwdriver?

More concerning to me is that a couple of the wall units are not completely flush together and there is a few mm gap between the units at the top. Can this be solved by playing round with tightening the bracket or do the units need to be reinstalled?

One of the wall units is also around 3mm higher than the neighbouring unit - I assume this unit will definately need to be reinstalled, with the bracket moved slightly?

Thanks for any advice you can give!

Comments

• barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It could simply be that they haven't yet applied the final touches, but whatever you do, don't attempt to do any work on it yourself. Take plenty of photos covering all the faults you mentioned, so that if you're not completely satisfied you can refuse to pay and demand that they put it right.

I'm assuming that this is something that you're paying for yourself and not part of a local authority scheme. If they were sub-contracted by a furniture retailer such as B&Q, Ikea, Wickes, for example, complain directly to them rather than get into a personal argument with the builders.

If you had already bought the kitchen units and are paying a builder of your own choosing, then refuse to pay. If you have already paid a deposit (I hope not the full amount), then you may have to resort to the small claims court.

You can also find out if the builder is registered with a recognised trade body, which may be able to influence the outcome. I hope it doesn't come to that and they are simply waiting until everything is in place before applying the finishing touches.
  • KennedyCKennedyC Posts: 1,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Practically everything on the cupboards is adjustable. Getting doors square and aligned is usually the last thing done.
  • gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Being a homeowner my kitchen took about 3 weeks from start to finish..it cost around £14.000 including a granite worktop.. So if the state is paying for yours I wouldn't be grumbling until they are completely finished
  • AdsAds Posts: 37,056
    Forum Member
    Just to confirm its me paying for the kitchen, not the state! And its a reasonably expensive modern style kitchen so am keen to make sure it looks stylish and sleek when its finished.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ads wrote: »
    Just to confirm its me paying for the kitchen, not the state! And its a reasonably expensive modern style kitchen so am keen to make sure it looks stylish and sleek when its finished.

Like you, I would have no clue whether they were doing a correct job of fitting the kitchen cupboards or not, so If I was you I'd ask them, you're well within your rights. You're paying for their services after all.
  • GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Next time they come in I would just say something like "looking good so far. I take it *point out problems* will be sorted as the job is progressing". Just makes them aware that you are aware of some of the bits that need doing. Obviously don't sign the job off till you are happy with the finish.
  • QFourQFour Posts: 555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We had a Magnet Kitchen fitted before Christmas and EVERYTHING is lined up as it should be. Cupboards are fastened together and there are brackets at the bottom to stop the cupboard moving outwards.

The cupboards have numerous ways of adjusting so that should not be a problem. Best thing to do is just TALK to the fitter.

Communication with workmen is essential. Discussed allsorts with our fitter including the weather. Afterall you are paying. :confused:
  • toofasttoofast Posts: 2,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My flat is being refurbished, which includes a new kitchen. My builders have started fitting the kitchen and I am a little concerned about how it is coming on. However before I tackle the builders I would prefer to have some idea what I am talking about....

The kitchen wall units are currently loose at the bottom and can be pulled towards you. Should they be be screwed in at the bottom, or is it simply a matter of tightening the brackets at the top enough. It maybe that the builder hasn't yet tightened them properly yet, and it just getting the units all in place before fully tightening it all.

Also the cupboard doors don't all line up neatly - I believe this is quite easy to adjust with a screwdriver?

More concerning to me is that a couple of the wall units are not completely flush together and there is a few mm gap between the units at the top. Can this be solved by playing round with tightening the bracket or do the units need to be reinstalled?

One of the wall units is also around 3mm higher than the neighbouring unit - I assume this unit will definately need to be reinstalled, with the bracket moved slightly?

Thanks for any advice you can give!

i can not
    emphasise enough, LET THEM FINISH IT!....then snag it.

It is quiet normal to loose fix units during the job until everything is in place!

There is nothing worse that meddling customers on site who moan about the finish before the work if actually finished! A big tut tut!

I assume you have at least 25% help back as final payment. This always is essential to get the fitters to correct any mistakes.
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Agree with letting them finish, then sorting out snagging, should there be any.

My OCD for things being ruler-straight went into overdrive when my kitchen was being done, I thought it would all end up cock-eyed, but it was all great in the end.

I also see no harm, though, in asking if all the things you're fretting about, have been noted and will be done.
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have a quiet word while they're there in a friendly sort of tone, might be that they're waiting on something else to be done before securing it to the wall especially if theres gas/water/elec etc to be rerouted and they're waiting for the person to turn up
  • Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    Unless its an obvious mistake, don't say anything until they are finished. Have a good inspection and let them know anything your are unhappy with. Do not pay them until they have finished to your satisfaction.
  • AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The kitchen wall units are currently loose at the bottom and can be pulled towards you. Should they be be screwed in at the bottom, or is it simply a matter of tightening the brackets at the top enough.
    You just tighten the top brackets - this is something they should do but as you still have gaps between units I suspect they are leaving it until last so that they can tweak the position. If you know you're going to put a lot of really heavy items in a cupboard you can have a bracket put at the bottom but I'm not sure how often fitters bother. Cupboards don't normally come with bottom brackets and as long as the top fixings are done properly (see below) you probably don't need anything more.

If you're ever tempted to install cupboards make very sure you understand the wall structure and what fixings to use. Most modern houses use plasterboard with battens and you have to make sure the fixings go all the way through to the brick or concrete behind. Simply screwing into the plasterboard will barely be enough to keep the empty cupboard on the wall.

http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/wallunit.htm
  • bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,435
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The ones I've fitted are screwed in top and bottom. I suppose they will work suspended just from the top, but it doesn't sound right. Any small movement of the unit from opening the door or when catching on part of it could gradually weaken the fixing.

Just have a word with the installers.
    More concerning to me is that a couple of the wall units are not completely flush together and there is a few mm gap between the units at the top.
    A few mm horizontal gap between adjacent units at the top, which isn't there at the bottom?

Some of this will be hidden by those decorative strips they sometime apply, but really there should be no need for a unit to be skewed by 1/8". I've just looked at my own kitchen, and there's no misalignment like that. Since you're paying, ask for them to do it properly.
  • turquoiseblueturquoiseblue Posts: 2,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    toofast wrote: »
    i can not
    emphasise enough, LET THEM FINISH IT!....then snag it.

It is quiet normal to loose fix units during the job until everything is in place!

There is nothing worse that meddling customers on site who moan about the finish before the work if actually finished! A big tut tut!

I assume you have at least 25% help back as final payment. This always is essential to get the fitters to correct any mistakes.

Talking to your fitters is the sensible way. I don't understand your advice, given so vehemently. :confused:
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bart4858 wrote: »
    The ones I've fitted are screwed in top and bottom. I suppose they will work suspended just from the top, but it doesn't sound right. Any small movement of the unit from opening the door or when catching on part of it could gradually weaken the fixing.

Got my units from B&Q and bracket is at top only, I believe it is because walls are generally not 100% flat so suspending them allows them to cope with that. Also if you have several units in a row I was told to screw them to together so they line up neatly. And yes you can adjust height.

As every has said, final adjustment will most likely be made at the end.
  • 1saintly1saintly Posts: 4,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing to worry about, as the OP hasnt paid any money upfront, and wont pay until the job is complete to satifaction, then the jobs will be sorted. Any reputable builder will be ok with this.

Please tell me you havent handed any money over yet :o
    Youre not somebody whos paid thousads upfront?:o