Options

How to get rid of mice in flat?

BoyardBoyard Posts: 5,393
Forum Member
I just saw a MOUSE in my flat!! A little brown one ran out from under my fridge. :( I must admit I have been a little lazy on hoovering and keeping up with my washing up lately as I've been very busy.

If I keep the place immaculately clean will that be enough to stop them coming? My bed is in the same room as kitchen as it's a studio. I'm worried they will run on my bed as I sleep.

Comments

• Options
    DJW13DJW13 Posts: 4,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They will come in if there is any food around (or perhaps even if it is cold?).

You need to block all of the gaps they use to get in - often these are round pipes. They only need a very small gap to get through as they can flatten themselves down to get under a door for instance.

We had a mouse last year and resorted to using traps. There turned out to be seven of them - either I trapped them all or the survivors gave up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks. :) Seven!! Not nice... My floor is wooden floor boards and I'm wondering if they could get in through gaps in there. I'll buy some traps but does it run the risk of encouraging them if I leave traps with food in?

Would borrowing my mums cat for a couple of hours help any to leave the smell of cat?
  • Options
    DJW13DJW13 Posts: 4,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Boyard wrote: »
    Thanks. :) Seven!! Not nice... My floor is wooden floor boards and I'm wondering if they could get in through gaps in there. I'll buy some traps but does it run the risk of encouraging them if I leave traps with food in?

Would borrowing my mums cat for a couple of hours help any to leave the smell of cat?

Gaps under skirting boards can be big enough. If you can work out where the mouse is coming and going you actually only need one trap. I caught nearly all of mine in exactly the same place, between the washing machine and the wall. I did put some bait in the trap, but suspect that they just walked into the trap because it was in the way.
  • Options
    ba_baracusba_baracus Posts: 3,236
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have 2 cats and they don't seem to be doing anything to get rid of the mice! They did catch one a few months back, but the mice seem to be getting into the cupboard under the sink and stealing the dried cat food and cat treats, They chew right through the bags.

We did try leaving the cupboard door open at night so the cats could get in there, but the mice seem to be onto this trick and just don't go into the cupboard on such nights.

Bought a trap the other week (a humane one) and have caught and relocated 5 mice to the countryside over the past couple of weeks. No evidence of any for a few days, so hopefully that is them all
  • Options
    Galaxy266Galaxy266 Posts: 7,049
    Forum Member
    I found I had a mouse in my house a few weeks ago. I first heard some scratching, seemingly coming from the loft, that woke me up one night. The following day I saw the mouse running across the carpet in my lounge!

I was all set to go out shopping for all manner of traps and things to catch it but, fortunately, it wasn't necessary. I was even looking online to find out whether the council could possibly help me. But, in the end, I managed to catch the mouse in a small upturned plastic container. I then slid -in a piece of card to stop it escaping, took the box out into the street and then let it go. I felt a bit sorry for the mouse, actually, and there was no way I would ever have killed it, but you just can't start having those things in your house. I just gently dropped it onto the road and it ran away!

Thankfully I haven't seen any more mice, so it obviously wasn't an infestation; probably just a single mouse that managed to walk in while I happened to have the door open.
  • Options
    IqoniqIqoniq Posts: 6,299
    Forum Member
    Galaxy266 wrote: »
    But, in the end, I managed to catch the mouse in a small upturned plastic container. I then slid -in a piece of card to stop it escaping, took the box out into the street and then let it go. I felt a bit sorry for the mouse, actually, and there was no way I would ever have killed it, but you just can't start having those things in your house. I just gently dropped it onto the road and it ran away!
    And then it got really cold, and it froze to death :(

I'd avoid using certain types of bait for a couple of reasons. Firstly, baits containing anti-coagulants work by causing internal bleeding. Rodents are generally quite clumsy animals and can bruise themselves quite easily. The warfarin based baits work by causing internal bleeding which is a painful way for them to die. They're not actually trying to kill, you they're just trying to survive so making them suffer if you have to kill them isn't really fair.

Also, if you have quite a few of them and they die in the wall cavities they can stink the place out as they decompose. My mate had a problem them with them in a student house he lived in, and I swear I've never smelt anything like it. The smell also lingers and it can take a while to go.

Maybe take a trip to B&Q and get those humane traps. Put some food in it and then leave it over night and see if you have any joy.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Use a humane trap and bait it with chocolate or peanut butter ( I used both together) a nd leave it near the fridge. It might take a couple of days but it will do the trick. Is your flat on the ground floor? If so cover the air bricks with wire mesh to prevent them getting into the building as once inside they can gnaw through almost anything.
  • Options
    Galaxy266Galaxy266 Posts: 7,049
    Forum Member
    Iqoniq wrote: »
    And then it got really cold, and it froze to death :(

It wasn't particularly cold at the time. I gave the mouse a chance, but I do know people who would have just stamped on it :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks all. :) Might just have a huge spring clean now and if I see another get some humane traps. Does anyone know if the things you put in the plug sockets are effective? I think they send out rays the mice don't like.
    Use a humane trap and bait it with chocolate or peanut butter ( I used both together) a nd leave it near the fridge. It might take a couple of days but it will do the trick. Is your flat on the ground floor? If so cover the air bricks with wire mesh to prevent them getting into the building as once inside they can gnaw through almost anything.

Nope, I'm on the top floor.
  • Options
    mklassmklass Posts: 3,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have had a mouse in my flat as well and it is HORRIBLE......... I have had 4 traps down filled with peanut butter and then nutella and can I catch the bugger?, I cannot!...... I slept on my sofa for about 6 nights after I saw it coming out of my bedroom and it did a double circuit round the bathroom when I was sitting on the toilet!.......:o..... I haven't seen it again but cannot be confident that it has vacated the premises!......... I Hate the not knowing the next thing I think I will have to do is payout for one of those noise things that are supposed to keep them away!.............. :(
  • Options
    Safi74Safi74 Posts: 5,580
    Forum Member
    I get visits from the little bar stewards from time to time. They have ruined my living room carpet, chewing it.

I've tried everything and blocked up everything...fingers crossed all okay now, but I'll never say never!
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's interesting that people have caught them using humane traps. I've tried them extensively and never caught even a single mouse. after trying for a week I resorted to a standard trap and got it within a couple of hours. There did only seem to be one, which probably got in through an open door.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you keep a dirty house , you get infestations. Cause and Effect

These are probably the same folk who shower 3 times a day and call the rest of us dirty. and smelly.
  • Options
    mklassmklass Posts: 3,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks all. :) Might just have a huge spring clean now and if I see another get some humane traps. Does anyone know if the things you put in the plug sockets are effective? I think they send out rays the mice don't like.

Nope, I'm on the top floor.

Oh....:o........ Now that's something you don't expect!, to see a mouse up there.......
  • Options
    oathyoathy Posts: 32,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mice constantly urinate, OP if it went under the fridge its worth pulling it out and seeing if you can see any holes that would be a viable route in and out. Also if its a rented flat might be worth speaking with the landlord, We had mice at the farm and they would eat anything even candles!. And Cable etc.

any food you keep open or on the work top get into poundworld and buy some of those plastic boxes (think you can pickup six in a box) same with cereals etc. Might be worth checking in the cupboards at some of the boxes you might not have used in a while to see if they have been feeding on them. Being on the top floor it could be another flat is invested and you are just getting overspill.
  • Options
    NicolaClareNicolaClare Posts: 489
    Forum Member
    We have the same problem, but our mice are in the garage.... We've managed to get rid of one, but we think there may be more.
  • Options
    Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've had bad experience regarding these problems. My first 2 uni houses were horrific, and we were clean but there was a mouse problem in every single house. Luckily in the final house we had no problems.

The best thing for us was putting peanut butter in a mouse trap. It caught a few but it got so bad we had to call the exterminator to fix it (in our second year).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    barbeler wrote: »
    It's interesting that people have caught them using humane traps. I've tried them extensively and never caught even a single mouse. after trying for a week I resorted to a standard trap and got it within a couple of hours. There did only seem to be one, which probably got in through an open door.

Yeah my old colleague brought humane traps once for some mice and complained that he'd wake up in the morning to find the food in it gone and no sign of the mice. :D They seemed to be able to snatch it and get out somehow.
  • Options
    Diane60Diane60 Posts: 91
    Forum Member

We were staying with friends who have a flat in London, by the river, who were always getting visits from mice. We decided to have a complete deep clean, to try and find any holes etc. We actually found a mouse and four babies in a nest made from shredded paper, in a store cupboard that was hardly ever used. :o:o
    After removing them, they purchased several of the plug in repellents, which seemed to work. Also, we put a few drops oil of citronella and pure mint oil on the bottom of cupboard doors. So far this seems to be working.
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

These are probably the same folk who shower 3 times a day and call the rest of us dirty. and smelly.
    Or you accidentally leave a door open for two minutes.
  • Options
    WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Try cotton wool soaked in peppermint essential oil. Leave it around the places the mice may be coming in and/or anywhere you think they might go.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member

people with clean houses get them too.

if you`ve seen "one" you`ve most likely got a few. when you set traps use peanut butter for bait.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    barbeler wrote: »
    Or you accidentally leave a door open for two minutes.

or you live in an old property. or you are rural. or next door is infested...................
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Diane60 wrote: »

We were staying with friends who have a flat in London, by the river, who were always getting visits from mice. We decided to have a complete deep clean, to try and find any holes etc. We actually found a mouse and four babies in a nest made from shredded paper, in a store cupboard that was hardly ever used. :o:o

That actually sounds quite cute. :blush:
  • Options
    peach45peach45 Posts: 9,426
    Forum Member
    Last couple of winters I had real issues with them, I hate the blighters. This time I went round the outside of my flat and blocked every tiny hole I could see, including packing the weep holes with wire wool https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2m7Z0OvGX4

So far so good, not seen or heard anything.