Options

HMV Closing Down Sale? - 25% off pretty much everything

Comments

• Options
    CoolboyACoolboyA Posts: 10,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    HMV need a 50% off sale to even begin to match the prices available elsewhere. Also, this 25% off sale is a worse deal than what they usually do - 2 for £20 or 3 for £30 etc.
  • Options
    adopteradopter Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    carax wrote: »

Whatever they're guilty of, I will be upset if HMV and, presumably(?), Fopp close, as this will pretty much only leave supermarkets as stockists of CDs, DVDs and games locally. Most of our bookshops are long gone too. Call me old fashioned but I prefer browsing to surfing and buy next to nothing online. The way things are going though, I may soon have no option.

Which is a problem.
  • Options
    Steve_WhelanSteve_Whelan Posts: 1,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CoolboyA wrote: »
    HMV need a 50% off sale to even begin to match the prices available elsewhere. Also, this 25% off sale is a worse deal than what they usually do - 2 for £20 or 3 for £30 etc.

That 50% to be competitive figure is bull, on the bulk of things they sell they are pretty competitive. Most of the things where people quote massive price difference between online and HMV tend to be niche market back catalogue items and imports. You can't really compare super market prices either they tend to sell music and video at a small loss plus the super markets only tend to sell chart and new releases.
  • Options
    PootmatootPootmatoot Posts: 15,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As the month goes on, this sale will move from 25% off to 40% off into a 60% off liquidation sale.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got my calendar :D most of the other stuff with the blue cross on was either quite old DVDs or left over gift ideas from Christmas
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Debenhams have a massive sale on so are they closing down too?
  • Options
    PootmatootPootmatoot Posts: 15,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Debenhams have a massive sale on so are they closing down too?

Debenhams haven't launched their sale because they're about to default on their bank repayments on 1st of February.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    funny time to have a "sale" as all the christmas temps contracts have just finished,or are finishing this week. You would of thought they would need them about if they are having such a marvelous sale
  • Options
    euphieeuphie Posts: 2,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sexbomb wrote: »
    HMV has always been a rip off, i bought a few import cd singles in the 90's £7.99 each or more in the store :rolleyes:

I remember those - I used to buy them too, mainly as I was into trance music and most of the stuff I liked didn't chart. Now, I rarely buy any CD's, and all my CD Singles are long gone!
  • Options
    36_Chambers36_Chambers Posts: 944
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are the prices online the same as instore now?
  • Options
    HelixHelix Posts: 1,485
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are the prices online the same as instore now?

No they still differ, not sure what happens when you reserve to collect in store. I would assume you pay the online price.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    Pootmatoot wrote: »
    There's no stickers on new stuff because HMV doesn't own any new stuff. It's there on consignment and belongs to the manufacturers, because the manufacturers won't sell it on credit as they believe HMV likely to be liquidated and the stock seized.

Not quite true. HMV owns "some" of the "new stuff" and "some" of the "old stuff". The consignment stock started coming into HMV about a year ago and was then mostly back catalogue stock. Since then lots of back catalogue consignment stock has been delivered to stores. Some new release "Chart" CDs are also on consignment. The current 25% off sale is on back catalogue stock only and includes all the consignment stock as well as paid for stock.
  • Options
    Parker45Parker45 Posts: 5,854
    Forum Member
    Pootmatoot wrote: »
    As the month goes on, this sale will move from 25% off to 40% off into a 60% off liquidation sale.

What's annoying about this sort of post is the way the poster seems to be delighting in the prospect of another High street chain going under. But in any case, this sale is not a prelude to closing down. HMV always have a sale during Jan/Feb and looking at the titles, they are clearly getting rid of slow-moving, less popular films.
  • Options
    Paul237Paul237 Posts: 8,656
    Forum Member
    I went in today but they hadn't reduced anything I actually wanted, so I left with my money kept firmly in my wallet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    CoolboyA wrote: »

The 2 for £10, 2 for £20 and 3 for £30 etc. stock is entirely separate from this 25% off sale. The 25% off is on ALL back catalogue stock that isn't either in a sale or in various "twofer" offers.
  • Options
    PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paul237 wrote: »
    I went in today but they hadn't reduced anything I actually wanted, so I left with my money kept firmly in my wallet.

I thought this sale didn't actually start till tomorrow?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,174
    Forum Member
    It started today in my local HMV. And I bought something.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    PhilH36 wrote: »
    I thought this sale didn't actually start till tomorrow?

Official launch Saturday. I forget the terminology but Friday was called something like a "warm launch" so yes, it started today.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Helix wrote: »
    No they still differ, not sure what happens when you reserve to collect in store. I would assume you pay the online price.

I just came back from HMV, the items I brought matched the online prices.

Result :D
  • Options
    HelixHelix Posts: 1,485
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just came back from HMV, the items I brought matched the online prices.

Result :D

Did you reserve beforehand? I know a few items I was looking at today are cheaper online, although I can't get the 25% off code to work even though it is an item that is included.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was interested in the Malcolm in the Middle series 1, but even with the sale discount it's still a couple of pounds more expensive than Amazon..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Helix wrote: »
    Did you reserve beforehand? I know a few items I was looking at today are cheaper online, although I can't get the 25% off code to work even though it is an item that is included.

No, I just turned up and what i wanted was on the stack right at the entrance to the store
  • Options
    Theo_BearTheo_Bear Posts: 997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blu-ray Nightmare on Elm St boxset

HMV £30 before 25% blue cross discount

Amazon - £17.75

Bye, bye HMV. I won't miss you.
  • Options
    AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Had a quick browse and nothing has come up cheaper than Amazon bar a couple of old Bad Compay records that I know I can get in another record store in Newcastle for a £4 less.

Troublesome thing this retail lark, what with rents, staffing, electrical and heating bills...