Am i being unreasonable?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,306
Forum Member
✭✭✭
My partner of nearly 3 years, who I stay with at weekend etc, as she runs a alternative health cente attached to her home, needed a break, away from the pressure, of treating people etc, so she had booked a weeks yogo holiday with a friend in a week's time, I agreed so she could relax. While away, to dog, clinic mind etc.
Her single daughter, 34,who spends nearly every weekend over her mums, with us, (she has her own flat) laying on settee, being waited on hand and foot, feeling 'she says' stressed and tired!
She wanted her mum to cancel her yoga break, because she booked a week holiday, and wanted to spend it with her mum (being looked after know doubt) is now going with her, as it turns our it a double room, and as my partner is only doing Yoga in the mornings! So it be a holiday for poor daughter who is feeling stressed!
While i am left at partners (out of the kindest of my heart). dog and health centre minding as i said She needed a break! My partner said what could she do after her daughter sulked! I will say we not likely to get a summer holiday as her other married daughter is going to give birth in August, with her first baby.
Am i being a touch unreaonable to feel a but miffed!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure I've understood this correctly....

Your partner was going to go on holiday for a week... and you were going to look after the dogs and her business? and that was fine?

Your partners daughter is going along too... but now it is not fine? how does that affect you?

Or have I missed something?
  • Conor the BoldConor the Bold Posts: 1,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    myscimitar wrote: »
    My partner of nearly 3 years, who I stay with at weekend etc, as she runs a alternative health cente attached to her home, needed a break, away from the pressure, of treating people etc, so she had booked a weeks yogo holiday with a friend in a week's time, I agreed so she could relax. While away, to dog, clinic mind etc.
    Her single daughter, 34,who spends nearly every weekend over her mums, with us, (she has her own flat) laying on settee, being waited on hand and foot, feeling 'she says' stressed and tired!
    She wanted her mum to cancel her yoga break, because she booked a week holiday, and wanted to spend it with her mum (being looked after know doubt) is now going with her, as it turns our it a double room, and as my partner is only doing Yoga in the mornings! So it be a holiday for poor daughter who is feeling stressed!
    While i am left at partners (out of the kindest of my heart). dog and health centre minding as i said She needed a break! My partner said what could she do after her daughter sulked! I will say we not likely to get a summer holiday as her other married daughter is going to give birth in August, with her first baby.
    Am i being a touch unreaonable to feel a but miffed!

What advice do you need?
  • Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What exactly do you feel miffed about?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She needed a break. And yogo helps, so she was going with a friend, that was fine. But i am put out her grown-up 34yo daughter seems to be putting pressure on her mum to look after her, and it seems this yoga break has turned into a holiday, and re baby birth, i am not likely to get away with my GF for a summer holiday, but now a sulking daughter does. It was never hinted before this to me 'would you like to come'
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What advice do you need?

Well for a start, I got a feeling daughter is onto a good thing. Will be hanging around for a long time, mat be selfish. But at the age, where didn't expect to still have sulky children around, who come first,
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She needed a break. And yogo helps, so she was going with a friend, that was fine. But i am put out her grown-up 34yo daughter seems to be putting pressure on her mum to look after her, and it seems this yoga break has turned into a holiday, and re baby birth, i am not likely to get away with my GF for a summer holiday, but now a sulking daughter does. It was never hinted before this to me 'would you like to come'

What advice do you need?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well for a start, I got a feeling daughter is onto a good thing. Will be hanging around for a long time, mat be selfish. But at the age, where didn't expect to still have sulky children around, who come first,

What?:confused:

You're in the wrong forum I think.
  • ikkleosuikkleosu Posts: 11,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Maybe your partner feels completely differently than YOU do about her own daughter, and that having her along on the break with her will be a joy and she too will enjoy the chance to spend time with her daughter?

So, in short, yes you are being unreasonable.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't know if you have children of your own or not?

I don't. But everyone I've ever spoken to, has said from the moment that child is born, they will always be the most important thing in the world to them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What advice do you need?

I guess, i need to think carefully, if this is always going go be this way. and end it before i find myself in 10 years still playing third fiddle to a middle agec daughter.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know if you have children of your own or not?

I don't. But everyone I've ever spoken to, has said from the moment that child is born, they will always be the most important thing in the world to them.

I have 2 sons, 26 and 30, but don't expect them around to look after them hand and foot. While they take it easy, or sulk for me into taking them on holiday!
  • peroquilperoquil Posts: 1,526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So, to summarise OP. You feel that your partner gets taken advantage of by the daughter "mat", and because she has gone with her mum on the yogo holiday, you too now feel that they're taking the mick a bit by leaving you to run the clinic and mind the dog?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    peroquil wrote: »
    So, to summarise OP. You feel that your partner gets taken advantage of by the daughter "mat", and because she has gone with her mum on the yogo holiday, you too now feel that they're taking the mick a bit by leaving you to run the clinic and mind the dog?

Yes, as we will not get a holiday this summer together. I wanted my GF to go away as she needed this break, she said herself, she tired from running her clinic, and 'in her words' looking after her daughter at weekends.
  • Hobbit FeetHobbit Feet Posts: 18,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    well this is a path well worn
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So if you were to ask your partner outright... she would tell you that she would rather go on this holiday alone, without her daughter?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 390
    Forum Member
    Talk to your partner about it when she's back from her holiday. She's had a lot on her plate, maybe she doesn't even realise that you feel put upon.

As for you playing second-fiddle to the daughter, that is a bit off and unreasonable. You two have been together for less than 3 years, she's had her daughter for 34 years.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So if you were to ask your partner outright... she would tell you that she would rather go on this holiday alone, without her daughter?

It was not on her own, but with a friend to do yoga retreat to recharge herself. She said ' what can she do, after her daughter sulked.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jw80 wrote: »
    Talk to your partner about it when she's back from her holiday. She's had a lot on her plate, maybe she doesn't even realise that you feel put upon.

As for you playing second-fiddle to the daughter, that is a bit off and unreasonable. You two have been together for less than 3 years, she's had her daughter for 34 years.

I am not saying her daughter don't come first. But every weekend being looked after! And now this. At 34, she should be more independant. Sorry if it selfish, but at our age, we done our bit! And should have at least some our-time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 390
    Forum Member
    So she was going to go on holiday, and then she decided not to. That's her choice and perogative.

You want her to be more assertive with the lazy daughter? That's understandable if it affects you, but you'll have to be sensitive about it.
  • eluf38eluf38 Posts: 4,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you being unreasonable? Yes. It's her daughter, she can choose what she does with her holidays. Do not try to come between a parent and child. You might be a boyfriend at the moment, but her daughters will always be her daughters.

If you want to see more of your girlfriend, why not see her during the week instead of just at weekends?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    eluf38 wrote: »
    Are you being unreasonable? Yes. It's her daughter, she can choose what she does with her holidays. Do not try to come between a parent and child. You might be a boyfriend at the moment, but her daughters will always be her daughters.

If you want to see more of your girlfriend, why not see her during the week instead of just at weekends?

She not a child. But 34 and should in part have her own life! As for week days, i work, and most days she works to 9 most nights.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    eluf38 wrote: »

What a disgusting response. The 'child' in question is 34, and this behavious is absolutely pathetic. Once a child becomes an adult, there is absolutely no need whatsoever for them to always come before a partner, and in fact it's deeply unhealthy for them to do so. OP you would absolutely ignore any response of this kind as it is clearly written to suit its own twisted agenda which is to prolong a unhealthy dependent child-parent relationship, due to their own inability to accept the fact that their adult children are capable of surviving - in fact, thriving - without them.
  • Judge MentalJudge Mental Posts: 18,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You seem miffed that the daughter is being allowed to go but you weren't offered the chance. Sounds like sour grapes.

Your partner is an adult. If she is too weak to say no to her daughter I don't see how it's your job to intervene. You are no worse off than if she was going alone. I'd leave we'll alone.
  • ikkleosuikkleosu Posts: 11,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Okay here's a different tack, why is the 34 year old daughter at her mothers every weekend? Does she have a job? A boyfriend? In what way is he Mum "looking after her"? Does she have depression?
  • TagletTaglet Posts: 20,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a disgusting response. The 'child' in question is 34, and this behavious is absolutely pathetic. Once a child becomes an adult, there is absolutely no need whatsoever for them to always come before a partner, and in fact it's deeply unhealthy for them to do so. OP you would absolutely ignore any response of this kind as it is clearly written to suit its own twisted agenda which is to prolong a unhealthy dependent child-parent relationship, due to their own inability to accept the fact that their adult children are capable of surviving - in fact, thriving - without them.

What??......why should the mother have to choose between them which is what the OP expects. If his gf is finding her relationship with her own daughter a problem then that is her business.....not the OP's.